Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast

#16 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

• Project:3D Indie Stuff
I already have two Saturn controllers and a USB adapter, so I'm set as it is. Maybe a newer version that's dedicated USB would be better, though, depends, I guess.

I'd honestly be more interested in a Saturn-style pad but with sticks on the bottom and triggers, really, like the new 8bito SNES30 Pro pads. 8bitdo seem to be the only ones experimenting with classic designs like that.

Though if the Dreamcast controller had an integrated screen, that'd be kinda cool.
This post has been edited by Candescence: 14 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

#17 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

• Keep your eyes on the stars... You'll never be one!
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
If the wireless Saturn pads are solid I'll definitely be picking a pair up. Need a good all-around solution for 2D emulating so I'm hoping they fit the bill.

#18 User is offline mentski 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View Postmentski, on 14 January 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

View PostBilly, on 14 January 2018 - 02:28 AM, said:

As long as we're talking about regional stuff that may not happen, I'd love if the Japanese white Saturn controller variant was included in this.

Grey and blue 4 life, yo.

This just in: Looks like all flavours of Saturn controller are available.

(Well... apart from the original Western controller, but who on Earth would want that?)

Posted Image

#19 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

• Project:Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostAmnimator, on 14 January 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Always wanted a Saturn controller, and Bluetooth is a good call in my opinion. Anyone have any clue how well those play in fighting games? I primarily use the D-pad on Xbox/Playstation controllers, but those actually hurt your thumb after a bit, clearly not meant for fighters :V Fight sticks look too bulky to just have laying around on a table, as well. Is the Saturn D-pad any better for that type of thing?

Any game that requires constant repetitive motions is going to make those parts of your hands sore. PS4 controller is fantastic for Tekken and I still love my PS1 controller for playing arcade games on MAME. The Saturn controller is great for Street Fighter but it at the end of the day it really depends what works best for you TBH.

#20 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I like how I bought a new official dreamcast controller right before this was announced. I'm probably going to buy some of the bluetooth controllers honestly. I love wireless controller so much.

#21 User is offline mentski 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

View Poststeveswede, on 14 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostAmnimator, on 14 January 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Always wanted a Saturn controller, and Bluetooth is a good call in my opinion. Anyone have any clue how well those play in fighting games? I primarily use the D-pad on Xbox/Playstation controllers, but those actually hurt your thumb after a bit, clearly not meant for fighters :V Fight sticks look too bulky to just have laying around on a table, as well. Is the Saturn D-pad any better for that type of thing?

Any game that requires constant repetitive motions is going to make those parts of your hands sore. PS4 controller is fantastic for Tekken and I still love my PS1 controller for playing arcade games on MAME. The Saturn controller is great for Street Fighter but it at the end of the day it really depends what works best for you TBH.
The Saturn (and by extension, the MD 6-button) d-pad is by far one of the best for fighting games. So much so that MadCatz copied the "floating" design almost identically for their Street Fighter V controllers. All 8 directions feel very "definite", and there is a certain amount of throw to the movement that makes it feel somewhere between traditional d-pads and a thumbstick. It was a crying shame they didn't continue using the design on the DC.

#22 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
As long as they come through with their promise on build quality this is an awesome thing. Sega must be aware of how popular the Saturn controller is so are finally doing something about it, it seems.

#23 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
Well, I will have to invest in some of these controllers. Namely the USB Saturn and Dreamcast controllers.

#24 User is offline 360 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:35 AM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Ultimately, between this, Sonic Mania and Sega Forever - this strikes me as Sega finally recognising and doing something about its legacy. Sonic Mania was a return to nineties-era Sonic, Sega Forever is an effort to get all their legacy titles everywhere and this move with the controllers is recognition that Sega's legacy consoles were super popular and still are to a certain extent, so Sega are now making efforts on the hardware front too. I know that the Saturn controllers, particularly the SLS variants, have been massively popular for years, yet mostly widely unavailable. So I guess this is Sega finally realising that.

Still in for a Genesis and Saturn pad, as they'd both be wonderful for 2D games. Just hope Retro-bit come through with that quality promise and these are released in Europe.

#25 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

• Wiki edits:5
omg omg omg

#26 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Okay, now that I do have the 8bito SF30 Pro, and discovered how friggn' good it is, I really want 'modernized' versions of these controllers - I mean, it wouldn't be hard to do so with the Dreamcast controller (just add the extra stick and bumpers), and the SF30 Pro managed it for the SNES controller without changing the controller itself significantly. I mean, it's good to have options, right?
This post has been edited by Candescence: 18 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

#27 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:30 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostCandescence, on 18 January 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

Okay, now that I do have the 8bito SF30 Pro, and discovered how friggn' good it is, I really want 'modernized' versions of these controllers - I mean, it wouldn't be hard to do so with the Dreamcast controller (just add the extra stick and bumpers), and the SF30 Pro managed it for the SNES controller without changing the controller itself significantly. I mean, it's good to have options, right?

I want this too. The twin sticks and extra bumpers should also send signals to the Dreamcast hardware that it is a twin stick controller for use with Virtual On.

#28 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

• Keep your eyes on the stars... You'll never be one!
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1

Only tangentally related, but how's the D-Pad on your SF30Pro? I bought their NES30Pro a couple years back and was horribly let down by the D-Pad, doesn't read diagonals properly and it always gives false inputs. It's too bad because it's great in every other aspect, but that flaw makes it almost useless.

#29 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

View PostLordOfSquad, on 18 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Only tangentally related, but how's the D-Pad on your SF30Pro? I bought their NES30Pro a couple years back and was horribly let down by the D-Pad, doesn't read diagonals properly and it always gives false inputs. It's too bad because it's great in every other aspect, but that flaw makes it almost useless.

Mine works perfectly fine, no problems from what I can see. Some people are claiming their diagonals are fucked, though, so it might be a manufacturing issue with some d-pads. Seems to be the luck of the draw right now, much like with the Switch Pro Controller.

#30 User is offline itsstillthinking 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

• Project:Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip
It is interesting to note that if one programs for the Dreamcast then one knows that the Dreamcast controller port and design allow's it register 2 analog stick's, 6 face buttons and two triggers. So the dreamcast was designed with all this in mind however if there was a controller that had these features then it has yet to be seen yet. The issue people have to remember is that they have to stick to the original design fairly closely as it will run into compatibility issues, like the Vmu. People are now asking for them to make a huge memory card however it is restricted to less than 32MB due to the VMU having everything in 16 bits. The ZIP drive would have allowed for up to 100mb or more but the way that would have worked was that a piece of software would have to have been made to support it and would work more like a transfer station. You can see the issues of the larger sized memory cars with the fact that if you enable the extra 40 blocks on the vmu lots of games simply refuse to read it or give a write error
This post has been edited by itsstillthinking: 18 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users