Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The SX Engine - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The SX Engine Recreating the Sonic Xtreme executable (now open source!)

#1 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

• Master Procrastinator
  • Project:SX Engine
I had kind of hijacked the DEF leak topic, so I decided to create my own since the engine is coming along quite nicely now.

Basically, with this project, I plan to recreate the executable missing from the DEF/PCX leak package. First, I am creating a level viewer, so I can work on loading the levels from the DEF and PCX files, which is getting closer to being done. After that, I'm going to create a small game on top, which in comparison, will probably be quite simple. As I said, I've gotten quite far, I can now load all of the game assets (which was surprisingly difficult due to the archaic PCX format) and recreate the level structure from the PCX layout files.

I'll keep adding videos, screenshots and download links as I make progress, but I don't think I will be bothering uploading a compiled executable for every revision, so they might get a little bit behind.

Video:

Lowest video is the newest, which shows frame based animation. My naming got alittle messed up when I went over to google code.

Old Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txYZMsP2Wks& (shows level exporting)

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/sx-engine/downloads/list (Last Updated: 29 Jan 2011)

Progress Screenshots:
http://cid-9cd27aa5d866d5fc.office.live.co...gine%20Progress

Source (keep track of individual revisions):
SX Engine @ Google Code

Planned features - Short Term (will make a release once this stuff is done):
Allow animated textures.
Allow sloped blocks.
General code cleanup.

PS: Anyone wanna do an icon for my google code page? I'm not much of a graphics guy. It'll need to be pretty simple since it needs to be recognizable at 153 x 55.

PPS: I don't know if people would be interested in this, but I made a level editor with a friend before (for a custom game engine we were making), I was thinking that I might ask him if he'd be interested in making an editor using my code as a base, so we could essentially make a "Game Maker" style engine for 3D platforming games. I've not really thought through it yet, but I was just wondering if anyone thinks that there would be interest in a side project like that.
This post has been edited by Uhyve: 18 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

#2 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Hey looking very good!
I think its really neat that we have the invisible block locations visible now!

You're probably aware of this, seems some of your front facing block textures are incorrect,
Maybe u can use my Jade gully as a bit of a reference
( yeah I know that a few block scales are off and some slopes are missing, in this outdated render.)

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 02 December 2010 - 08:50 AM

#3 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

• Master Procrastinator
Huh, that's weird, I hadn't even bothered checking the textures, I kinda just assumed it was right because most stuff was in the right place. Not sure what the deal is there... I have noticed some other texture weirdness aswell though, so it might be related.

#4 User is offline SaviourDCX 

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Cool, be sure to check out other fan creations of Sonic X-treme for comparison.

#5 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

• Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (SaviourDCX @ Dec 2 2010, 08:43 AM)
Cool, be sure to check out other fan creations of Sonic X-treme for comparison.

Why? It's based on the actual game files...

#6 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:58 AM

• Master Procrastinator
Well, I have been looking at the SANiK viewer quite a bit, it's been pretty useful figuring out how certain stuff works, I've got the feeling I'll be using it quite a bit when looking at scales. Though I've still not figured out what the deal is with those incorrect walls... it's seemingly completely random.

Progress!

You can't tell, but the code just got a whole lot cleaner and I've just passed the boring part. I just need to get transparencies, slopes, animations and billboards working, then I think I'm good. Now that I've got the textures loading properly, I just realised how difficult level exporting is gonna be, I do have some ideas for it though, it just needs a bit of a rewrite.
This post has been edited by Uhyve: 03 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

#7 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
QUOTE (Uhyve @ Dec 3 2010, 07:58 AM)
I just realised how difficult level exporting is gonna be, I do have some ideas for it though, it just needs a bit of a rewrite.

What sorts issues are you bumping into for exportation?
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 03 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

#8 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

• Master Procrastinator
Mainly my laziness. I was just concatenating all of the meshes into a single mesh (which is super easy), then using D3DXSaveXToFile (or something like that) to write that internal mesh to disk. That way of doing things seems to take issue with material changes in general, never mind ones that include textures that are created at run time... which will also need writing to disk. Plus internally, all of the level parts are still actually cubes (I'm just not drawing the unneeded sides), so I'm gonna need to save only certain submeshes (which is how I'm storing the different sides). I still think I can do it, it's just gonna be alittle challenging.
This post has been edited by Uhyve: 03 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

#9 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

• Master Procrastinator
Just a small update today.

Transparencies: Check
Mirrored textures: Check
Double sided faces: Check (though don't see any in this picture...)

Had some issues with transparencies allowing you to see through levels from certain angles, but that's fixed. Currently working on block scaling, think I might be getting close. Then I'll add slopes, which should be easy, though again, boring. Then, other than level exporting (which I now realise, is probably best left until I've got the levels working), I think I'll be pretty much done with the viewer part of the project.

PS Just wondering what the posting etiquette is on this site. If it's about a week since I last posted (and mine was the last post), do I edit my post or make a new one? Don't wanna annoy the admins before I hit 20 posts...
This post has been edited by Uhyve: 08 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

#10 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
You're a coding machine. Keep it up, it's looking great.

#11 User is offline Vinchenz 

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

• Yo! Hustle! Hustle!
  • Project:Unity 5evr
QUOTE (Uhyve @ Dec 8 2010, 07:35 PM)
PS Just wondering what the posting etiquette is on this site. If it's about a week since I last posted (and mine was the last post), do I edit my post or make a new one? Don't wanna annoy the admins before I hit 20 posts...

Looks like you got unlimited now. :P

Nice job, BTW. Its weird that nobody else has done this yet.

#12 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

• Master Procrastinator
Heh, thanks guys. Yeah, the only reason I didn't start this sooner was because I assumed someone else would already be doing something similar.

Thinking I might open source it soon, I keep getting stuck on things for days, always to find a simple fix, need to get a few more pairs of eyes on this thing.

#13 User is offline Vinchenz 

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

• Yo! Hustle! Hustle!
  • Project:Unity 5evr
What graphics API are you coding this in? If its DirectX10 I could probably help. :P

#14 User is offline Uhyve 

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

• Master Procrastinator
I'm actually just using DirectX9 at the moment, at first I was hoping to keep most of graphical stuff as disconnected from the main code as possible, so I could make an OpenGL version later on for the Mac/linux folk, that didn't happen.

#15 User is offline kazade 

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

• Project:A 2D Physics Engine
QUOTE (Uhyve @ Dec 10 2010, 09:42 AM)
I'm actually just using DirectX9 at the moment, at first I was hoping to keep most of graphical stuff as disconnected from the main code as possible, so I could make an OpenGL version later on for the Mac/linux folk, that didn't happen.

If you open source it, it'll happen* wink.png

Luke.

* I'll do it if I can find the time

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users