Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive Classics coming to PS4, XB1, PC; May 31 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive Classics coming to PS4, XB1, PC; May 31 Again.

#16 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:44 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View Post/dev/sr0, on 14 March 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

Why would they have removed it though. It's the one game Xbone and PS4 players might not have because it doesn't get re-released very often.

Xbox games can play S3&K whenever they please. The games were never delisted and both are backwards compatible on the One.

#17 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
Found the trailer on twitter:

https://twitter.com/...7053561862?s=20

#18 User is offline MykonosFan 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
Officially announced:

New features seem to include online play, as well as a rewind feature. Quite happy to see rewind creeping into more things like this, assuming the Steam version will get updated to feature parity at some point.

#19 User is offline Zeether 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

They have Technosoft's IP now but I don't see any Thunder Force, Herzog Zwei or Elemental Master on the list :argh:

Also I don't have much faith in the online being good if they just use Kaillera or something
This post has been edited by Zeether: 14 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

#20 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
Full list of games:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Soldier
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Columns III: Revenge of Columns
Comix Zone
Crack Down
Decap Attack
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Galaxy Force II
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
ToeJam& Earl
Vectorman
VectorMan 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Features:

Online or offline multiplayer and enhancement filters
You'll be able to play the multiplayer titles like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, either on the couch with a friend, or online with anyone in the world. We've included graphic enhancement filters to make sure the old games still look great on your spangly, new-aged televisions along with an interactive 3D room UI, which means it's super-easy to navigate your way to games in the collection from the virtual comfort of a 90s themed gamer's bedroom!

We'll have a big ol’ list of Trophies for you to earn while playing, with some seriously challenging ones for players pushing for Platinum.

Horizontal flip mode
One of those will relate to the all-new mirror modes we're including, meaning you'll be able to play all the titles with the screen flipped horizontally for an additional challenge. You'll probably need to make use of the save states to complete all these, as they allow to record your progress anywhere.

The mirror mode sounds pretty fun. Trying to beat Sonic 1 running in the opposite direction!

Rewind mode will be handy for the super hard games like Dynamite Heady!

#21 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

Here's how Sega Genesis Classics / Sega Mega Drive Classics compares to the PS3/Xbox 360 release, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection / Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

ON BOTH:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

"CLASSICS" exclusives:

Alien Soldier
Bio-Hazard Battle
Columns III: Revenge of Columns
Crack Down
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Space Harrier II
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
ToeJam& Earl
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy in Monster World

"ULTIMATE" exclusives:
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles

Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
Phantasy Star (Master System)

Alien Syndrome (arcade version)
Altered Beast (arcade version)
Congo Bongo (arcade)
Fantasy Zone (arcade)
Shinobi (arcade)
Space Harrier (arcade)
Zaxxon (arcade)

#22 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
The Ecco titles being missing in tandem with Sonic 3K being quite the glaring omission - present legal issues not withstanding - means this is a no buy for me. The collection is arguably weaker than what came out on the PS3 and 360. However much nostalgia I have for the Genesis era some major and key games are missing here. Ecco 2 for example is a must. It's an amazing, even era defining game and Sonic 3K being missing is just criminal. If I were to hazard a guess, Sega have an additional Sonic collection (Sonic Mania Plus?) planned that's the reason why Sonic 3K is omitted here.

That's what the optimist in me says. The pessimist in me says Sega just couldn't be bothered to pay for or sort out the legal issues. Guess we'll see soon at SXSW.
This post has been edited by 360: 14 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

#23 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

There was a lawsuit regarding Ecco a bit over a year ago. https://venturebeat....series-rebirth/

So maybe Sega don't have the rights, or would have to pay royalties that wouldn't be cost effective. Who knows.

Ecco Jr., which had a Steam release, is also absent.

Oh, and Eternal Champions had a Steam release but isn't included on this collection either. But that's more likely due to the age rating.
This post has been edited by Pengi: 14 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

#24 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Ahahahah, oh wow. We can't even get emulated versions of Sonic 3&K anymore, not even individually like in SUGC (though the lack of lock-on in that game was likely more due to improper emulation regarding that release). The game is effectively cursed by the lawyers now.

It's a good thing the game has had a bunch of re-releases in the past (including the still-active XBLA/Steam releases, Wii VC release is on borrowed time though) because at the rate things are seemingly going; it looks like we might never see another re-release of (one of) the series' best game(s).
This post has been edited by Yeow: 14 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

#25 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostOcelotBot, on 14 March 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

Virtua Fighter 2

Did you know, we live in a world where this unpopular and underwhelming Mega Drive conversion is a damn sight easier to find for modern hardware than the once-immensely popular and technically groundbreaking arcade and Saturn versions?

But I mean fair play to Sega - I'm struggling to think of any other first-party Mega Drive titles not included in this list aside from what's already been mentioned. Just licensed titles, arcade conversions and out-of-date sports simulations left (and Japanese exclusives - I'd be wanting to milk that English conversion of Monster World IV as much as possible if it were me, but whatever).

None of you should need it though :eng101:

#26 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!

View PostYeow, on 14 March 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

It's a good thing the game has had a bunch of re-releases in the past (including the still-active XBLA/Steam releases, Wii VC release is on borrowed time though) because at the rate things are reportedly going; it seems we might never see another re-release of one of the series' best games.

Surely 3&K could be re-released if a completely new soundtrack is made. The original soundtrack is sublime, but if it's never gonna be released again in its current state (and I'll admit it doesn't seem likely), then I would accept any changes which need to be made to allow for a new release. After all, the soundtrack is only one of several things which makes 3&K so good.
This post has been edited by OcelotBot: 14 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

#27 User is offline 360 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
I think with Sonic 3K's glaring omission here in conjunction with Sega shooting down Taxman and Stealth's Sonic 3K remastered pitch there must be serious shit going on that's fucking up re-releases of the game. I mean they could have a Sonic focused collection planned (with Sonic Mania Plus?) but the more realistic scenario is that they can't sort out the legal troubles so just aren't releasing the game any more. It's just sad given it's one of the best platformers of all-time, the epitome of the 16-bit era and the best Sonic game ever released. Sega really need to sort this shit out. :colbert:

#28 User is offline Neo Hazard 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

• Wiki edits:2

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 14 March 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

out-of-date sports simulations

Hey now! This would be an instant buy if it had NHLPA '93, have you never seen Swingers?!

Mirror mode sounds kinda cool, and like I mentioned earlier with that screenshot, online is definitely an attention getter. The real question is how well it'll hold up. IIRC, the XBLA version of Sonic 2 had some awful online.

#29 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

View PostOcelotBot, on 14 March 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

View PostYeow, on 14 March 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

It's a good thing the game has had a bunch of re-releases in the past (including the still-active XBLA/Steam releases, Wii VC release is on borrowed time though) because at the rate things are reportedly going; it seems we might never see another re-release of one of the series' best games.

Surely 3&K could be re-released if a completely new soundtrack is made. The original soundtrack is sublime, but if it's never gonna be released again in its current state (and I'll admit it doesn't seem likely), then I would accept any changes which need to be made to allow for a new release. After all, the soundtrack is only one of several things which makes 3&K so good.

I'm no lawyer, but releasing it with a new soundtrack could be seen as Sega admitting that they don't have the rights to the music, which could be used against them.

Then again, swapping out the music is exactly what they did with Sonic & Knuckles Collection on PC in the '90s, where the "Jacksony" tracks, and only the "Jacksony" tracks, were replaced.

It's so weird that they went to those lengths for S&K Collection, but just four months later released it unaltered in Sonic Jam, and continued to re-release it right up until January 2011.

#30 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
Don't suppose they could lie and say they were unable to correctly recreate the original Mega Drive tracks? :specialed:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users