don't click here

Sega loses 7 billion yen, to restructure

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Cooljerk, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Because today just keeps getting worse

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20120330gyoseki_e_final.pdf

From the sounds of it, anything that isn't Sonic, Total War, Football Manager, and Aliens is getting cancelled.

Fuck.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Well...Besides Platinum's games and the stuff you listed...What is SEGA working on (besides some XBLA/PSN and phone bound stuff we already know about like VF5:FS and Hell Yeah!)?

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yakuza, Phantasy Star Online 2, an unnamed vita game, that new shining force game using the next version of that valkyria chronicles engine, among others

4. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    So the solution according to them is to focus on Sonic and few other games. Isn't that what they have been doing all this time?

SEGA has a ton of marvelous franchises from both Megadrive/Dreamcast and the actual generation.
    The problem is that their marketing has been almost solely focused on Sonic when their other franchises could probably sell more if they were given as much exposure. Not to mention those classic series that they completely forgot since the Megadrive/Dreamcast times.
    What kind of idiots is taking these kind of decisions really? Cowardice will not help.

5. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    As long as PSO2 and Yakuza 5 are not shit canned then I'm fine with this. Though this could be bad for the rumored Shenmue XBLA release.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Uh oh Jet Set Radio.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't think JSR is going to be cancelled. They just announced it, and I'm sure they weren't only just now becoming aware of their losses.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So to be clear: Sonic & and a few others are fine, everything else is screwed. damn shame for fans of SEGA's other IPs but maybe now they will think twice before making that next movie game.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't see how JSR is in trouble. It's basically done. And apparently so is Shemue XBLA. So those should be fine.

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Ryu ga Gotoku 5 isn't going to be cancelled — hell we don't even know when it's going to be released! This release specifically talks about the international market; there's no mention of what they're going to do in Japan. Now if they choose not to localize Yakuza 5... but then again, it takes a year for them to localize Yakuza games, so the situation might change by then :/

11. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Watch as all of those canceled projects turn into more shitty Sonic games.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    How do you know that they're done? I haven't seen SEGA say so except for the (fake) rumor about Shenmue XBLA being done for a year.

13. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Thus the end of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.

14. Falk

Falk

If this prevents stuff like Rise of Nightmares from ever leaving the drawing board I don't see how this is a bad thing. People who make terrible games should be out of a job. (Unrelated, I still find it hilarious till today that Homefront bombed so hard after all their fart-fanning hype that Kaos Studios literally shut down from making a terrible game)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well besides that art contest what's left to be accomplished with jsr? It's just making it widescreen, this is sega we're talking about they aren't completely overhauling the game.

Oh and an update. According to ign all of sega of America's QA branch is cut, and a lot of marketing, pr, and social media is at risk. Better watch out balough.

Also according to ign, any thing currently not announced by sega that's not sonic, total war, football manager, or aliens is either cancelled or not being published by them. So jsr, anarchy reigns and possibly sasasr 2 should be fine. Shenmue... not looking as good.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

So does this mean everyone at Sega West is gone? Like RubyEclipse?

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Goodbye Yakuza, goodbye Shenmue.

And I think I'll miss you most of all, NiGHTS.

18. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Didn't they already said everything that's been announced is going to remain in development? When they talked about canceling, they were talking about titles that have just started production or haven't been revealed to the general public yet. Rest assured, PSO 2 and Jet Set Radio are coming.

Edit: Also, of course the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars series is fine. It's a SONIC game (according to SEGA). :v:

...It will be a bit odd seeing all those characters they're apparently abandoning, though. :(

19. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    As far as we know:
    -Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing 2 is still being made
    -Sonic 4 Episode 2's production is wrapping up next month.
    -PSO2 is still in development
    -Jet Set Radio is still in development
    -*Unknown Sonic game for Holiday 2012* is probably still in development.

And that's about it.

EDIT: ...You know what? No, screw it. I think this is all one giant April Fools Day joke set up by Sega. This is all happening two days before 4/1, so until I get better proof, I'm thinking some serious trolling is going on here.

20. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Yeah, honestly this sounds fishy. SEGA have only been selling more games as of recent.