Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 72 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog? So as to divert some of the circlejerkiness in the Needlemouse topics

#1 User is offline The Pulse 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

• GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS
  • Wiki edits:2
So, people have been talking about a Sonic redesign for Project Needlemouse. Now, the question I want to ask you is, how would you redesign Sonic? Would you make him look more classic? More modern? Maybe put him in a whole new style? I'm interested in seeing what you guys would come up with.

As for me, I'd do something like this.

I also have one that makes him look like a Quilava.

#2 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

• And I'm gone again.
  • Wiki edits:1
I'm going to transfer this post from the Needlemouse Concept Art thread.

QUOTE (Machenstein @ Jan 18 2010, 07:53 AM)
But I still don't understand why Sega would go as far as to include badniks, but not go the extra step to include Sonic's classic design.

And they don't have to. See, I find flaws in the designs of both Classic Sonic and New Sonic. Classic Sonic looks too unathletic, and New Sonic looks too arrogant. What they need to do is find some sort of happy medium.

I took 30 minutes to alter a picture of Classic Sonic posted earlier in the thread. It may look a bit shoddy, but for illustrative purposes, I think it does the job.

Note the longer legs, longer body, larger hands and feet, slightly sharper quills, longer ears, shorter nose, and green/hazel irises.

#3 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

• Wiki edits:6
Honestly, the only difference I noticed there were the eyes, and they're pretty unchanged as it is. And pulse, Sonic is not Bubble Bobble.

I wouldn't redesign Sonic at all. The way he appeared in Unleashed was perfect, much like his original design. They could just keep one or the other and I'd be totally happy.

#4 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

• Just an angry spark of electricity.
  • Project:Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
  • Wiki edits:112
I would like to see classic Sonic with just different colored eyes. If Project Needlemouse is supposed to resemble the classic Sonic games, then SEGA shouldn't use modern Sonic.
This post has been edited by Ravenfreak: 18 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

#5 User is offline Shadix 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

• Wiki edits:11
QUOTE (Ravenfreak @ Jan 18 2010, 05:11 PM)
I would like to see classic Sonic with just different colored eyes. If Project Needlemouse is supposed to resemble the classic Sonic games, then SEGA shouldn't use modern Sonic.

Problem with that is that like, Unleashed Sonic basically is classic sonic with different eyes.

#6 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

• Emerald Dragoon
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144
I don't get the fuss over the design change, especially in regards to Sonic. His changes are minimal compared to others in the cast. (Hi there Amy)

Then again, at least nobody whines about his Super State XD

As far as the topic goes, I think he's fine the way he is. The newer CG renders look fantastic.

#7 User is offline HighCaliburFun 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

• I gotta juice!
Personally, I want to see the classic Sonic in this game, I think it would truly help bring out the overall classic feeling to it.

On a side note, I think it would be cool to see Dr. Robotnik/Eggman's classic appearance make a come back as well.
This post has been edited by HighCaliburFun: 18 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

#8 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II
Why is this even a question? They redesign him after every game.

#9 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

• Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Shadix @ Jan 18 2010, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ravenfreak @ Jan 18 2010, 05:11 PM)

Problem with that is that like, Unleashed Sonic basically is classic sonic with different eyes.

Are you kidding? Go check his spines, legs, hand and torso again. Unleashed blends some more retro features into the modern design, but it's still modern Sonic by a long shot.

#10 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

• Emerald Dragoon
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144
QUOTE (Chimpo @ Jan 18 2010, 06:16 PM)
Why is this even a question? They redesign him after every game.

I wouldn't equate different models to a new design. It still boils down to blue hedgehog with green eyes and red shoes.

#11 User is offline Sawhog 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I hope they make him more "classic looking" somehow, although I don't care how it looks at the moment since we have little to nothing to base anything off.
Speaking about a Needlemouse, Hopefully Sega isn't taking any cues from my old sketches...

I don't think this is what they meant so many years ago about making Sonic more "realistic"

#12 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
  • Project:Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
  • Wiki edits:2
I know that this is how I draw Sonic in my style, but if SEGA really wanted to do something completely different with the art style of Sonic yet feel familiar, it would probably look like this:

That's how I'd redesign Sonic.

#13 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II
Crash Bandicoot?

I wouldn't equate different models to a new design. It still boils down to blue hedgehog with green eyes and red shoes.

Considering you spend the entire game looking at the bloody thing, yes it is a new design. Especially when the model is very different from the last one. You had short and chubby sonic in SA1, slim and taller Sonic in SA2, rubber Sonic in SH and StH, holy hell what is this in S2k6, fat Sonic was huge head in SatSR and BK, and finally chubby Sonic in SU.

You're just taking the thing to its very basic. If I went ahead and colored the above then it would fit the context you just gave perfectly.

#14 User is offline Azookara 

• take it from me, little buddy
  • Project:hoboagogo?
  • Wiki edits:27
Make Sonic just like from Unleashed but with non-electric-green eyes. Maybe black with green undertones, just like some of those unfinished (reworded: EVEN MORE unfinished) Nextgen screenshots. Just put those eyes on him, and I'm sold.

#15 User is offline RevFirst 

Even better! But seriously, I'm actually fine with his Unleashed design. That or classic, it's all good.

• 72 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users