don't click here

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Well I know one thing, Sonic's individual walking frames are not positioned the same as in the final. In the final, he wobbles backwards and forwards a tiny bit as well.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It would be awesome if Naka aknowledged this as legit, and then it was unveiled that it was really a hoax.

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Obviously fake, but it's a good effort for a hack/fan game/whatever.

4. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Thank you! You took every single word from my mouth. Saxman's post pretty much sums up everything I was going to say about this hoax. By the way, I have very trained eyes to spot a GameMaker/MMF fan game at kilometers of distance (Mercury being the only person cappable of fooling me :v: ), and I bet all my knowledge that this is running on a pre-made fan game engine.

There is so many things wrong that it even hurts my brain. This hoax is an insult to my intelligence.

And for those who believed this was legit, no comment.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    The mountains are not even close to the actual sprites. It makes me sad. :/

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Also, notice, at 0:13 in the video, how when Sonic jumps, he makes a perfect square collision with the edge of the higher ledge.

In the actuall Mega Drive games, Sonic jumping sprite would start to enter/overlapse the ledge after his center was 4 pixels above the ledge height, due to how the collision works in the Mega Drive's Sonic engine.

7. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Also, the camera stays fixed in the center and has no 'slack' when the player is in the air or changes direction (32 pixels X, 64 pixels Y). Now, I can accept that of all the prototypes, Sonic 1 would have the most changes to the gameplay as it evolved, but the amount of graphical and gameplay discrepancies between the original screenshot and Sonic 1 in general pretty much make this a clear "LOL MMF" hoax for me.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I figured MMF as soon as I saw him jump - very nicely done, though.

9. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    the trees were locked to the A plane and the only effect/depth cues were from a parallax scroll on the water... I think.

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Things for:
    * Thems level graphics.
    * That standing frame.
    * The "7 layers of scrolling" here can be done with multiple parallax "layers" (ie. the buildings are below the mountains entirely, so it can scroll at a different rate), the background, the foreground and the far-foreground with sprites (think Star Light Zone).

Things against:
    * The jump feels very much like Sonic Worlds.
    * The rest of the sprites seem to match Sonic 1 exactly (the positioning is like Sonic CD's for the walk).
    * No sign.

Is it real or is it fake? No clue, honestly. I'd like to give it a go either way.

11. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    http://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sega_Players_Enjoy_Club_Sonic_Concept_art.jpg Theres also this drawing which represents how Sonic 1 used to look.

12. Skaarg

Skaarg

This is exactly what I thought. Looks like a decent start to a fan game, but I feel they could have done this hoax a lot better.

Move along folks!

13. Vangar

Vangar

I found the betaas.

Could be real, but it can't be. No one would find a sonic 1 proto and just give us one video. They would want to come on this board and prove it right away, maybe a picture of the cart or something. Prove it's real and make sure they can make some good money off us :P.

EDIT: One more, as if it isn't obvious enough that it's fan made - The palm trees have been edited to just have black tops like the bad scans. Who makes a palm tree just black on the top? That would be a scan issue and wouldn't be in the beta.

14. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Someone engaged the warp drive back in time. I'm getting deja vu to when OJDon spoke of having 'teh betas.'

In this case, it might be a nice looking fake which tries to be the old thing based on what we know, but still there's no way it's real, at least in my book.

15. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Wow! Green Hill has never looked so... hilly.

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    its strange someone would create a youtube account to post just 1 video, unless they were trying to hide something or be anonymous.

17. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Man that looked really cool, I'm sure it's not a real beta but damn did it look good! Also I'm LOVING that beta standing sprite.

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Does anyone remember a thread ages ago, where somebody claimed they found a cart on the ground in Brasil or some shit, and it had a 'proto' on it? Or, something like that. :v:
    I'm certainly not as well versed in diagnosing things like this, but for a minute there I was like "Oh god oh man here it is"
    How disappointing.

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Pretty sure it was pointless, however... I sent the guy a PM on YT asking if he could provide more information. I also linked them to this site, so that they could hopefully come here and shed some light on all this.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Seriously, it's a fake. I'm surprised about the majority of people here- on a major Sonic hack site- who seem to want to believe it's legit, and that's all you're doing, wanting to believe.

Some of you are just actually avoiding later people's posts altogether, so let's go over the evidence here;

The physics and movement

Taxman, the god of physics and fan games quotes; "the camera stays fixed in the center and has no 'slack' when the player is in the air or changes direction (32 pixels X, 64 pixels Y). Now, I can accept that of all the prototypes, Sonic 1 would have the most changes to the gameplay as it evolved, but the amount of graphical and gameplay discrepancies between the original screenshot and Sonic 1 in general pretty much make this a clear "LOL MMF" hoax for me."

The jumping physics are also off- Sonic looks too smooth in his jump, and floats down too nicely and quickly. It smacks of a fan game.

The graphics
    1) The whole thing is coloured too oddly, and looks like it's trying to copy the demo screenshot in places where the screenshot would have been actually wrong due to it being a dark copy.
    2) Have you actually bothered to look at Sonic's sprite? There are glaring differences between this and the original screenshot. Obviously obvious is Sonic's ears. Next is the way he is facing, which looks a bit off, and Sonic's running animation seems to have frames doctored from Sonic 2.
    3) The mountains in the background look nothing like the rocks in the original screenshot, and are rounded rather than sharp.

The layout of the rocks and ledges is obviously smacked together in five minutes by someone who doesn't know what they're trying to achieve. The original was built to show off as much as possible, but the way the level is formed looks awkward and nothing like anything in Sonic 1, and for good reason- it looks crap and that's the opposite of why the demo was designed back in 1990. The collision is also god awful.

Lastly, someone signed up to Youtube recently, and silently put on a supposed video of the rarest gem the Sonic community would and could ever get their hands on, without so much as putting a proper desciption, a source, details or any sort of fan fare? Do you think someone who's in to Sonic would make a big deal of this? Of course they would. Do you think someone who's not in to Sonic would? No, but they wouldn't post this video in the first place. The fact that the video zooms in and tries to validate it's own authenticity shows that it was not created by a user who knows nothing, something this Youtube poster is trying to portray.

Seriously, not to be a dick, but for fuck sake, I honestly thought much better of people here. What the hell did I actually join up for? You guys are bait. This video was a waste of time.