Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Explorer.exe crashes randomly. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Explorer.exe crashes randomly. Recovery partition not working

#16 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

• Wiki edits:9
Then it might be that the HDD actually has problems. But it ONLY resets when getting to that desktop screen of the recovery partition, everything else works just fine. (Explorer.exe doesn't crash anymore) And in these four months I only had one blue screen and that was long ago. And it NEVER reset itself during normal usage.

It really only happens when booting that recovery partition, which I believe to be corrupt, would the warranty cover something like this?

#17 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostRamiroR, on 04 March 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Then it might be that the HDD actually has problems. But it ONLY resets when getting to that desktop screen of the recovery partition, everything else works just fine. (Explorer.exe doesn't crash anymore) And in these four months I only had one blue screen and that was long ago. And it NEVER reset itself during normal usage.

It really only happens when booting that recovery partition, which I believe to be corrupt, would the warranty cover something like this?

It might cover it. But anything can corrupt a file system, just say you never touched the recovery partition. Again talk to the manufacture. Some will sell recovery CD/DVDs and others require you to send it in or return it. To rule out though, does you hard drive make unusually sounds when trying to access it or makes none at all and hangs?
This post has been edited by Chibisteven: 04 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

#18 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

• Wiki edits:9

View PostChibisteven, on 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

View PostRamiroR, on 04 March 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

It might cover it. But anything can corrupt a file system, just say you never touched the recovery partition. Again talk to the manufacture. Some will sell recovery CD/DVDs and others require you to send it in or return it. To rule out though, does you hard drive make unusually sounds when trying to access it or makes none at all and hangs?

I just booted the recovery partition to see of there are any weird noises coming from the HDD. There aren't. So it might be a corrupted filesystem. Or... how likely is it, that it's not working because of having Linux with GRUB installed? Probably it didn't like reading a different MBR and crashed.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users