Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 9 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast

#106 User is online Powpuck 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 24 January 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

[...]empty space[...]

I don't see why Sega doesn't take advantage of this fact, cram a linux computer into them and dump, say, Taxman's remasters inside, and give them an HDMI output.
This post has been edited by Powpuck: 29 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

#107 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

• Wiki edits:22
8BitDo is beating Retro-bit to the punch with Sega Genesis/Megadrive bluetooth controllers and receivers. Not that surprising since it apparently takes 2 years for Retro-bit to release a product.
This post has been edited by Turbohog: 29 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

#108 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:21 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMSRPG
  • Wiki edits:10
But have they assigned Mode to the R button?

And has anyone told them they can make the same controller work on the Saturn yet? :v:
This post has been edited by Flygon: 31 January 2019 - 05:22 AM

#109 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

• tails is still a girl
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
Insert my usual AVOID 8BITDO CONTROLLERS rant here. Buyer beware. If they've tightened up their D-pads finally after all this time, it'd be surprising.

#110 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:08 AM

• Wiki edits:18
This is looking good.

Posted Image
Posted Image
If these also feel like the originals, I'm definitely getting at least one when they release.

EDIT: For comparison, here's the controller they've been selling without the SEGA license:

Posted Image
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 23 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

#111 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN
Seems some of the Saturn pads are out in the wild, or being sent to reviewers - Here's an Xboxing of the Clear and Black ones, both USB and Saturn variants of each:

edit:
Turns out he has an unboxing for the Genesis pads too:

This post has been edited by Neowl: 25 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

#112 User is offline 360 

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
The Saturn one is just a god-send for Sega platformers. I mean it's quite possibly the most perfect 2D game controller of all-time and by the looks of it Retro-bit made good on their promise of quality.

I have to get one - even just for the inevitable future 2D Sonic games or potential successors to Mania. I'm sure many others feel the same.

#113 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN
Another YouTube review, this time courtesy of MetalJesusRocks:

At the end he mentions that the USB pads can have their D-pads toggled between digital and analogue, which sounds interesting.

#114 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

• The Tool
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest
  • Wiki edits:2,193
I am certainly going to buy one of these controllers, likely the USB Mega Drive pad, simply because if the build quality is good despite the low price, then it's certainly going to be more achievable for me than having to blow over £100 for a SLS Saturn pad.

#115 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

• Wiki edits:30
Very excited to hear USB saturn pad impressions. If it's good, it will most likely become my main controller for retro games.
This post has been edited by Krigo: 02 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

#116 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostNeowl, on 01 March 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

At the end he mentions that the USB pads can have their D-pads toggled between digital and analogue, which sounds interesting.

That's interesting, but one has to wonder why it's not changed by holding the MODE button for 5 secons, rather than the START button...

#117 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

• Wiki edits:30
More impressions in of the Saturn and Genesis pads from Destructoid

The real king here is the d-pad. The original Japanese Saturn controller's d-pad was exceptional, and Retro-Bit's pad feels identical. Since I have several to play with, I made sure to compare them between one another. Generally speaking, I have noticed a few times small differences in quality between products of the same kind from third-party manufacturers, but here, that was absolutely not the case. They were all masterfully built, consistent, and as far as I can tell, spot-on to the original design, with a generous 10-foot-long cable to boot.

This is a little shocking to be honest because while I like Retro-Bit as a company, and have enjoyed some of its products, I didn't expect accuracy or build quality on this level. I played some of the toughest games at my disposal, some requiring frame-perfect input, and even did a speedrun of Ecco the Dolphin. And there was not a flaw to be found here. I don't know the manufacturing process behind them, but I am convinced that Retro-Bit simply got all the molds for the original design and just built them as if they were new old stock. They are that good.

#118 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:14 PM

• Wiki edits:2
Great to hear, I'll have to get one if the Dpad feels like the saturn one. Honestly no dpad made after it comes close to the level of quality. Actually it seems like since we stepped into 3D the dpads just keep getting worse and worse...

#119 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Will the USB controllers work on Switch?

#120 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

Looks like they fucked up the shoulder buttons.

Shoulder trigger (LR) buttons: Ah yes: our first real, noticeable difference from the originals (well, third if you count the cable length and the logos on the back). However, whereas the cable length and logos were inconsequential, the shoulder buttons are much more important. Here's the deal: They click much softer than the originals, both in terms of contact noise as well as up/down movement and rebound when the triggers are depressed. The originals felt and sounded just like a mid-90s mouse click would – crisp and satisfying. The Retro-bit controllers’ L and R buttons click softly. As a 20+ year Saturn gamer, I immediately felt the difference – the clicks were quieter and less crisp, so initially I wasn't sure if I had actually clicked them, at least from a tactile perspective. I spent a long time testing the shoulder buttons, using games like Panzer Dragoon (lots of shifting to change your perspective), Virtua Cop (have to hold one of the triggers down to increase your reticle speed), and Tomb Raider (L slows Lara down to a walk; R initiates the somersault). In terms of performance, there were no issues. I tried pressing the keys from different angles and tried resting my fingers in various positions on the triggers, and perhaps surprisingly considering how softly they click, performance was unaffected. I never once had a click that did not register as an action on-screen. One other nuance of the shoulder buttons is that there is a very slight hesitation before a shoulder key returns from a depress. Again, no impact on on-screen performance, but if you are used to the crisp clicks of the originals, this will be confusing at first. Overall impression of the shoulders: 6/10. Not a deal-breaker because on-screen performance appears unaffected, but the tactile and auditory sensations are definitely different.

• 9 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users