Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Utopia - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 13 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Utopia An experimental 3D Sonic fan game.

#181 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
I proposed a solution in the Hedge Physics thread:

View PostRitz, on 02 December 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

I think some scripting would be a nice feature to have, actually- not full-on automation, but maybe a flag you can set so Sonic's forward vector conforms to a spline. That way you could just hold forward to clear a loop successfully without awkward steering compensation, but you still have the freedom to move left and right relative to that path. The challenge there would be keeping it subtle enough that players don't necessarily realize they're being guided, which they will if they deliberately do a hard turn to break away- maybe there could be some falloff where the strength of the snap tapers off depending on how close the player's directional input matches the direction of the spline?

#182 User is offline UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

View PostMr Lange, on 04 April 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on 04 April 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Most would agree that it even adds replay value. But tightening up the loop traversing experience is one way to keep Sonic's gameplay fluid, and I'd argue that it is necessary.

Does not mean this is the way it has to be done, or at least not for the entire game as the standard of all loop designs.

Believe me I've already thought all of this out thoroughly.

I'm sure you have. Would expect nothing less from someone who clearly gets Sonic.

Also I'm not suggesting that this loop idea is the only way or best way to tighten up the loop experience. Was just curious what you were thinking on the idea. Loops are so integral to the series and yet so problematic in the translation from 2D to 3D, one has to make a firm decision (in my imaginary world as a game designer) on what they are trying to accomplish. In general, I think more than just trying to replicate Sonic's iconic gameplay the priority would need to be on creating a strong overall concept that is inspired by the original Sonic. You clearly get that as well, as you've mentioned elsewhere IIRC.

Carry on. I'm just really really excited that you guys are doing this. Its a personal dream of mine, since '95. I'm incredibly interested in how things are going because I want it to be proved resoundingly that 3D Sonic can be excellent...and it hasn't happened yet. Its otherwise easy to be an armchair critic.

No pressure. :v:

#183 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostRitz, on 04 April 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

I proposed a solution in the Hedge Physics thread:

View PostRitz, on 02 December 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

I think some scripting would be a nice feature to have, actually- not full-on automation, but maybe a flag you can set so Sonic's forward vector conforms to a spline. That way you could just hold forward to clear a loop successfully without awkward steering compensation, but you still have the freedom to move left and right relative to that path. The challenge there would be keeping it subtle enough that players don't necessarily realize they're being guided, which they will if they deliberately do a hard turn to break away- maybe there could be some falloff where the strength of the snap tapers off depending on how close the player's directional input matches the direction of the spline?

This is something me and Mura thought of a long time ago and I'm still strongly considering it. There's just some small fringe issues that go along with it and it's a tricky thing to do on a technical level.

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on 04 April 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm sure you have. Would expect nothing less from someone who clearly gets Sonic.

Also I'm not suggesting that this loop idea is the only way or best way to tighten up the loop experience. Was just curious what you were thinking on the idea. Loops are so integral to the series and yet so problematic in the translation from 2D to 3D, one has to make a firm decision (in my imaginary world as a game designer) on what they are trying to accomplish. In general, I think more than just trying to replicate Sonic's iconic gameplay the priority would need to be on creating a strong overall concept that is inspired by the original Sonic. You clearly get that as well, as you've mentioned elsewhere IIRC.

Carry on. I'm just really really excited that you guys are doing this. Its a personal dream of mine, since '95. I'm incredibly interested in how things are going because I want it to be proved resoundingly that 3D Sonic can be excellent...and it hasn't happened yet. Its otherwise easy to be an armchair critic.

No pressure. :v:/>

I appreciate it and I'm glad to see detailed feedback and ideas.

#184 User is offline FredJMcGillicuty 

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:54 AM

Mr. Lange,

Have you guys thought up a story yet? Or are you guys just not there yet in terms of the to-do list of things that need to be done before that?

#185 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:35 AM

The story has been figured out and is pretty well planned. It was tricky for a while because there's some surprises we'd like to have that make a story difficult to fit around, but it has worked out wonderfully. It's a bit weird but still based on what's been established to work with in the series, synthesizing something new and interesting from it.
This post has been edited by Mr Lange: 09 April 2017 - 02:39 AM

#186 User is offline rebelcheese 

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostMr Lange, on 09 April 2017 - 02:35 AM, said:

The story has been figured out and is pretty well planned. It was tricky for a while because there's some surprises we'd like to have that make a story difficult to fit around, but it has worked out wonderfully. It's a bit weird but still based on what's been established to work with in the series, synthesizing something new and interesting from it.

Interesting. Will there be any dialogue in the narrative or will the story be told without words like Hyper Light Drifter or the classic Sonic games?

#187 User is offline FredJMcGillicuty 

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostMr Lange, on 09 April 2017 - 02:35 AM, said:

Very nice, that's great to hear! I'm now very excited for this game, more than I previously was! Looking forward to the updates, Mr. Lange!

#188 User is offline Mr Lange 

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

View Postrebelcheese, on 09 April 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Interesting. Will there be any dialogue in the narrative or will the story be told without words like Hyper Light Drifter or the classic Sonic games?

Still deciding. On one hand, it'd be more directly faithful to the classics without dialogue, but there's some parts of the story that would be really difficult or impossible to convey that way. Though, it may not be too important; there's parts of the story in the classics that only exist on paper. Some feel that dialogue would dilute the classics.
I don't feel that strongly about it. There was dialogue in the Genesis version cutscenes of 3D Blast (granted the cutscenes in the Saturn version were without). There's messages in the tutorial mode of Knuckles Chaotix. But the most important thing is that there are intended personalities and dialogues with the characters conveyed in official media by Sonic Team outside the games, such as the stories in the manuals, albeit scarce. I'd like to see this actually adapted to in game scenes, trying to depict the characters as they were intended to be. The OVA does a good job of this but, kind of its own thing and only a sample of what could've been, and only in the form of a short movie.
This is all of course, assuming Utopia will have cutscenes, which is something I'm aiming to do.
This post has been edited by Mr Lange: 09 April 2017 - 11:39 PM

#189 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

• Wiki edits:111
I really like this. I'm so late to the train but I recently played this and I gel with the controls instantly. I'm repeating a lot of people when I say this so I'll just emphasise by saying that my 7 year old sister can play well too, with more ease than she can a 2D game. The mouse control is perfect.

The level decoration and lighting I feel directs the players attention perfectly, making the open-ness a non issue for finding the goal. To be honest I didn't want to find the goal and deliberately stayed away as long as I could find new areas. I hope while the levels will have a focus on a particular area/route, that we still get to explore as thoroughly, the outskirts and secret way-off areas.

Sorry for my late opinions;)
This post has been edited by Lapper: 14 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

#190 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
Sooo...
Guess who took a look at Utopia....

https://www.youtube....h?v=g4646WXyWtc
This post has been edited by LowSeasCaroz: 24 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

• 13 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum