Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: [Tutorials] Sonic Mania Modding For Dummies - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

[Tutorials] Sonic Mania Modding For Dummies Come here to learn the basics of Sonic Mania modding!

#1 User is offline AeroArtwork 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Posted Image

Hello everyone and welcome to Sonic Mania Modding For Dummies! Over time, I will be posting a series of user friendly tutorials to get people started on making there own levels,specials stages and more in Sonic Mania! I must explain that I am no programmer so if you have at least a few art skills and a bit of hex knowledge you'll be making stuff in no time!

Unfortunately, I am still writing these tutorials as we speak please check back as these tutorials will be written and updated over time.

As for now, this is everything I know how to do and will be covering and the order I plan to cover these tutorials.

> Basic Sonic tiling work and sprite work
>Unpacking and repacking data.
> Changing and re-implementing custom color palettes
>Maniac (Level Editor) Basics/Custom Level pieces
>Understanding Collision and tile specifics.
>Custom Backgrounds
>Custom Music/Sound Effects and looping
>Replacing 3D Meshes.
>Making custom special stages

However, there are some thing's I am still learning myself but here are some possible future tutorials.
>Custom animations
>any sort of additional ASM.

Tools you will need!
Spoiler

Tutorial 1
Posted Image

Spoiler

This post has been edited by AeroArtwork: 14 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

#2 User is offline HTV04 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

This will be a great tutorial for people who are new to modding Sonic Mania! I might follow this tutorial, it seems like it will be very useful, especially since I'm a dummy when it comes to modding :specialed:.

#3 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
I appreciate the idea, but maybe it'd be better to have at least one tutorial done and linkable before posting this?

#4 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS
Yeah, uh, general thread creation etiquette is to actually have something to show off before you do so. Good idea as said, but don't do this next time.

#5 User is offline AeroArtwork 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostS0LV0, on 14 October 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yeah, uh, general thread creation etiquette is to actually have something to show off before you do so. Good idea as said, but don't do this next time.

We should be good to go now. Was still working on the first tutorial in the midst of working on the post. Up and finished. Sorry for any trouble. :thumbsup:

#6 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I agree with you guys, but man. There sure is a lot of backseat moderating on Retro.

Anyway, the first tutorial looks good! I'll admit, I haven't really read it. However, it looks really well made! I'll be interested to see your other tutorials. Good work!

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users