don't click here

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If you're honestly calling Chris Senn an asshole, then you're an asshole. If you're talking about who leaked this, it was an anonymous source that didn't want to be tracked; whoever it was used a throwaway email account that can't actually be linked to anyone, so I severely doubt we'll be getting a story. Any other information regarding this material would likely come from Senn or Ofer Alon, but I somewhat doubt either of them will be happy to see this out; if they were totally open to the idea, I'm sure they would have released it themselves.

Please don't adopt the selfish idea that we actually deserve to see this material—it makes you look like a selfish douche with little regard for other peoples' personal work. Nobody is under any obligation to share this, and the fact that it's got out at all should be a cause for appreciation. I think people take our resources for granted... this doesn't happen all the time, and it certainly isn't easy to achieve. Show some respect.

That said, I think the lack of reaction is due to a lack of presentation of what this stuff actually is. It's pretty damn cool to see the original level maps and all of the game material that we hadn't seen before!

2. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

someone please take more screens!

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    So, there we go, we get the story behind it, even though there isn't much of one. That's all I wanted, and it would be stupid to think I was trying to call Chris Senn an asshole, but rather I was referring to those that were leaving details like you just mentioned out.

...was that so hard? :P

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Red Sands (Exterior-ish - filename: "RED")
    [​IMG]

Red Sands (Interior - filename: "SANDS")
    [​IMG]

"NEO"
    [​IMG]

"AGUA" (underwater level)
    [​IMG]

Old Jade Gully ("JADE")
    [​IMG]

5. Now all we need is Sonic X-treme for the Sega Saturn released.

Oh, and AGUA was named Blue Ocean.

6. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Crystal Frost is gorgeous. From the looks of the layouts, this would have been a genuinely GOOD 3D Sonic game...

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I assume Neo is either "Death Egg" or "Metal Blade"? They're the only two I've not seen named yet.

8. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    So, anyone looked at the ZEBRA levels?

Very unfinished, but the geometry suggests some sort of jungle environment.

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves, here. This is interesting, but I have my doubts that it would have made a "good" game. Don't let the quest for "Getting what we weren't allowed to have" cloud your judgment. :v:

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

Zebra Levels? Hmmm Can I see a screen shot? :) When I ran the thing in Windows 98, I had many problems with several files. I only got to see some of them.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    IIRC, weren't impressions of the game in 1996 very less than favorable? This always seemed far too ambitious a Sonic title to me.

12. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Okay, how is this not getting the attention it deserves? I am so amazed by this, it's unbelievable.

Needless to say, I'm TOTALLY geeking out.

Well, if it plays anything like Bug! or Bug Too!, then it just might have been. I heard somewhere that the Xtreme engine was based off it, or played like it, and it looks like at least the latter is true to me.

13. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Well looked around at quite a few of the stages earlier today and got the hang of it, so took a few quick videos to make an example of how the game works. The stages kinda' look like a complete mess until you come in close and the fish eye cam starts to come into play. This game was built-around the fish eye mechanic, so the stages are designed to be flat with depth but look more 3D with the effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8kEl28zHQ

A quick example of a few of the stages in the game.

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    this is so damn awesome... its so sad it never got released as a game :/

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Those builds weren't using this engine. They were using a very incomplete version of the boss engine, IIRC.

These look like they were the engine used on the final, "PC" version of the game, according to screenshots/videos we've seen.

16. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

This is the most important release since the original sonic 2 beta.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I completely agree. Only a Sonic 1 beta could top this IMO.

I've been digging through this shit for the past hour, it's fascinating.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    What about a playable demo?

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    So is anyone else getting the "Sonic Boom.rar" archive is corrupted? Because I can't extract the file...

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I've been admiring that video since the moment it was released, however it seems, to me at least, like that engine was very much a wip at that point. Look at the floaty physics when sonic jumps or rolls.

This is just as good, IMO, since the real benefit of getting something like that video, for me at least, would be being able to see how the game looked in motion for a possible recreation. We have everything we need thanks to this release, now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.