Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mega CD II and 32X woes, help needed - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Mega CD II and 32X woes, help needed What you get when buying "untested/broken" and loose hardware

#16 User is offline StephenUK 

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

• Liquor in the front, poker in the rear
  • Project:Quackshot Disassembly
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but with my 32x and MD1, it worked fine without the MD > 32X connector cable. All that happens is it doesn't output any sound or anything handled by the MARS colour system. I tried Chaotix out once without the cable and it displayed all the backgrounds fine, but didn't display the characters, due to them being handled by MARS. Saying that, I don't think that missing cable has anything to do with your problem and I think you might have just bought a broken 32X. The fact you are not using the correct power supply might also be part of the problem, as I seem to recall that my MCD1 started giving problems when I used a variable power supply.
This post has been edited by Stephen: 30 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

#17 User is offline xdaniel 

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

I originally did expect the MD+32X to at least display the stuff generated by the MD - that impression coming from Gens' 32X VDP viewer, which essentially paused the emulation and removed everthing displayed by the MD's VDP from the screen - but I guess I hoped I got the wrong impression here and it won't display anything without the MD-to-32X cable. Well, shit, that's 100% confirmation that it's busted. And I take it that no-one ever tried finding and replacing a fuse or something on a 32X, right?

Anyway, at least the MCD's back among the living. Managed to put a new fuse in - not soldered, but carefully hot glued it in, as all I managed to do with the soldering iron was burn my right index finger and thumb... but as long as I don't bump it too heavily (which seems to freeze the system sometimes), it's working perfectly.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users