don't click here

Wireless adapter help

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hez, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Recently upgraded (hah...if you want to call it that) to fiber. This unfortunately required me to move my router to the basement so it was close to the panel. This forced me to make my desktop wireless. Now here's the problem. I bought a USB Linksys AE2500, and it installed fine. It will work for a random amout of time, and then all of the sudden quit, and jump my CPU usage up to 100%. I REALLY don't want to call customer support, so I figured I'd ask you guys first. Anyone have this problem? I fee like it's conflicting with something else on my system, but I cannot find what it is. THe wireless connection shows up as Connection 6, so maybe that has to do with it? Running 7 X64 bit if that helps too.

EDIT: This is how I've been rolling so far. Adapter works fine as long as I put it in the USB slot after it boots up. Works fine for a bit. Randomly disconnects. If I pull it out of the USB and wait 10 seconds right after the disconnect, it disconnects fine and I can reconnect and work on the internet. Rinse and repeat. Now if I don't pull the adapter out in time, it will still show up in devices, jump my CPU up to 100 percent, and force me to restart. Is this a junk adapter?

2. Flygon

Flygon

I suggest getting a PCI card. I find them far more reliable than USB adapters when using wireless networking.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'd love to, but it seems they aren't selling much of those anymore. I guess I could order one online, but I absolutely need the internet for my school work.

4. Flygon

Flygon

I can't see any other real solution that's in my skill set, then. I would recommend giving the local computing enthusiasts shop a call, though. I tend to pick up much of my necessary hardware from one, and they usually have whatever I require in stock (or happily point to stores that do have stock).

5. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
  6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    If you need a PCI adapter, Newegg has a few.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=pci+wireless+adapter

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I ordered a PCI one. It just makes no sense that it randomly will quit working and just steal all my CPU usage.

8. Since you are on a desktop, I would recommend getting an extra long Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable (100m max) and just running it to your router. It might not be the prettiest but it's worth it for performance for something like online gaming and it saves you the trouble of wireless.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    He might not have the necessary clearance to do so. Lord knows I'd love to have a permanent connection between my Xbox 360 and the main router but with people in the house who are obsessed with surface wiring it ain't happening any time soon =P

10. gummyworm

gummyworm

There's a solution here!

Hez, have you considered power-line networking? It's a relatively new system, but the connection is as reliable as cat-5 - and even better, there's no need to run long wires. Some adapters allow for gigabit connection speeds - it'd definitely allow you to take FULL advantage of your fiber connection.

If you proceed with this method though, put a password on your network (the included software usually allows for this). it's possible for the connection signal to escape your house's power lines, and move to the GRID O.o

11. Flygon

Flygon

I'm skeptical over powerline networking. It's only really effective with newer housing. Older houses tend to have much worse quality cabling, whether due to aging or simply worse materials. This affects the qualify of your network, obviously.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I have not the slightest clue about powerline networking....but I'm interested

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833118166

HomePlug & Powerline are two seperate standards for the same thing - HomePlug is by far the wider supported one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug