Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3 HD - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 18 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3 HD Under construction.

#31 User is offline Conan Kudo 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

• 「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一
  • Wiki edits:14

View PostDario FF, on 26 December 2011 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostRelick, on 26 December 2011 - 08:17 AM, said:

And yes, we do need XNA unless you have an engine you'd like to share with us?

Just wanted to point out that XNA is fine for your purposes. Heck, isn't Mono.xna being developed as well for Linux support? Besides, it should just be a rendering engine for your purposes anyway. If your project is done right, you should be able to switch graphic rendering without modifying the gameplay at all.

I'm pretty sure you can embed an XNA 4.0 installer as well later on an installer of your own, so no worries about that. My only gripe at the moment regarding the display is that the aspect ratio is fixed.

Mono.xna has been dead for over two years now. There are a few open source engines that you can use as the basis for your game. There's the OpenSonic and the ProSonic engines, for one. Both are cross platform and support Sonic games well, with the former being able to support Sonic Heroes style gameplay as well as classic Sonic gameplay. I suppose the latter could too, with its scripting engine.

That being said, if the engine was written in C# (which it probably is if it is using XNA), then porting it to C++ wouldn't be too difficult. The hard part would be finding equivalents of the various pieces of XNA that are C/C++ and cross platform. That can't be done without knowing what pieces of XNA were used...
This post has been edited by Conan Kudo: 26 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

#32 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Can't say I'm a fan of this project in its current state, but it's not bad for something that's only been in progress for three months.

Rolling physics seem to work better than in Sonic 4, at least.

#33 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostTweaker, on 26 December 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

I thought this project was ridiculous, pretentious and talentless when I first saw people trying to get validated with it as a "free pass" and it hasn't gotten any better since then. You have no direction or solid talent backing your game; it feels like you rushed this demo out just so you could post it here and try and recruit more staff despite having no standalone merit whatsoever. I've half a mind to just trash the thread outright, frankly, but I want to see what other people think first before I do anything. Needless to say, though, I'm not impressed. You guys are lame.

Wow! I've never seen a project trounced so inappropriately! It's like coding and redrawing all this shit from scratch isn't even something that requires effort. Why don't all these Sonic Worlds projects with all the recycled and thoughtlessly rearranged art ever get threatened with thread locks?

Not to suggest that this is worth playing or anything. These HD remakes are a waste of time from the word go when the people involved are always convinced that topping the source material is even a remote possibility without some degree of artistic skill. Reinterpret, don't ever recreate. That said, I very much appreciate that it only took these two guys three months to reach the level of polish S2HD had with a whole fucking year of dev time. That's very amusing.
This post has been edited by Ritz: 26 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

#34 User is offline Dude 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

• Project:Random VR/AR trash
  • Wiki edits:43
I like it. And I definitely don't think it needs to be trashed. I think the artwork is just fine, except for some animation frames are misaligned and someone will definitely need to come up with inbetween frames to make the animations smoother than the originals.

As for the engine... well you need to fix the way slopes are handled, and collision in general. Especially loops. The jumping in a loop trick doesn't work anymore.

#35 User is offline Billy 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

• RIP Oderus Urungus
  • Project:retrooftheweek.net - Give it a visit and tell me what you think!
  • Wiki edits:15
In my opinion:
I echo the cries of the art needing more detail, less gradients. I suggest a little more interpretation in the artwork, instead of the straight up-scale that most of them have at the moment. Regarding the Sonic sprites, I recall hearing the original Sonic 3 sprites were pre-rendered 3d Models. Perhaps a similar concept could be employed here? But then the art might clash, hmm. Sonic definitely needs smoother animation, if nothing else.

Looking forward to the progress on this project.

#36 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Would anyone be so kind as to make a video of this? I want to give it a shot, but I can't because this thing refuses to run on Wine because I need Mono for windows but I don't know how to install mono for windows and it realizing that I have.

I hate this mac sometimes.

EDIT: But from the screenshots you guys are a bit too gradient happy. Might I suggest trying a different art style? Maybe something like Wario Land Shake it or Rayman origins or something. Also your sprites for Sonic could use some work, I could give a crack at it later if you like (I can't color, but I can at least draw and outline sprites). Also take more creative liberties with your art. For example the HUD, no one is going to care if you recreate the really dated looking HUD. Make something better looking and more modern, since that is the point of the project after all.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 26 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

#37 User is offline Azu 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

• I must be stupid.
Sonic 4 wants its physics back. :v:
Posted Image

Other than, I found it nice, but there are major/obvious bugs with the layer switch, such as Sonic dipping about 3 pixels in the ground when he goes trough a loop. The graphics are a bit gradient happy, but I'm going to assume these aren't final.
This post has been edited by Azu: 26 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

#38 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

• Wiki edits:196

View PostRitz, on 26 December 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

Wow! I've never seen a project trounced so inappropriately!
He's on a roll! His second post in this thread (and the reply to it) shows a person being trounced inappropriately.

#39 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:The Bancast, Lone Stars, LOVE
  • Wiki edits:30
C'mon kids, stay focused. Tweaker's opinions are valid and, in my opinion, pretty on the nose.

I think this is a neat start to something that is unnecessary. But most things that come out of the forums are. But that's not a bad thing, do what you'd like. Keep up the good work. Right now it's buggy and the art seems a bit amateurish, but it's an interesting start.

Just a side note, I'd prefer to see stylized new art instead of redrawn old art.

#40 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostAzu, on 26 December 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Between this and the critique that was posted by roxahris, I actually have to ask, is the 'grass' in Mushroom Hill meant to be some kind of absurd moss, grass or something else? Doesn't seem to stick up like grass.

Spoiler

#41 User is offline Namo 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

• take a screenshot of your heart

View PostTrunks, on 26 December 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

Just a side note, I'd prefer to see stylized new art instead of redrawn old art.

Agreed. For example I think that vine thing Sonic runs on (the thing in the above screenshot) could benefit from looking like thick, intertwining vines instead.

#42 User is offline Relick 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

• Project:C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostEll678, on 26 December 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

View PostAzu, on 26 December 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

*snip*

Between this and the critique that was posted by roxahris, I actually have to ask, is the 'grass' in Mushroom Hill meant to be some kind of absurd moss, grass or something else? Doesn't seem to stick up like grass.

Spoiler

We decided they were leaves clustered around the floor. Kinda silly, but makes sense at the same time. :P.
It could be moss indeed, as the same sort of thing is in sky sanctuary, and I don't see any trees or dirt up there. Also, grass wouldn't grow on vines would it? Sonica, who made the basic parts of our current terrain, has decided to leave the project meaning a lot of complications when it came to making it. We'll probably have to redo it all anyway, at which point we could make it a moss instead.

However, just to point out, Generations used grass >.<

#43 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

• Emerald Dragoon
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144
Sonic 3 supposedly used pre-rendered graphics for sprites right? Use the generations classic model, set the lighting appropriately, and there you go. Granted, this may be problematic for Knuckles, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it eh?

#44 User is offline Relick 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

• Project:C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostAquaslash, on 26 December 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

Sonic 3 supposedly used pre-rendered graphics for sprites right? Use the generations classic model, set the lighting appropriately, and there you go. Granted, this may be problematic for Knuckles, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it eh?

Has it been ripped already? Jesus christ you guys work fast. Anyway, we'll give it a try, see what it looks like.

#45 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
All this looks talk reminded me of this video:

I think Sonic 3's direction was much more in line with that sort of look. Just an example of what a prerendered tileset and sprites could look like, minus the perspective of course.

• 18 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users