Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3 Complete - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 118 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3 Complete S&K Collection on MD, with fixes, Sonic 3 music and many options.

#1666 User is offline Knucklez 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostBrainulator, on 16 June 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Perhaps that Tails shouldn't be constantly bombed and that beating Sky Sanctuary Zone Act 2/B as Sonic/Tails should boot the title screen? Just some thoughts.

What...? You can't play Sky Sanctuary B as Sonic/Tails. If you try to it just rejects with a horn sound. Knuckles uses the same sprite as Tails during that brief sequence and it looks completely off especially when he's supposed to be carrying the Master Emerald. Clearly, a sprite for that never existed. I'll put one together for Tiddles to use if he wishes though.

#1667 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

• Regular garden-variety user
  • Project:ideas I shouldn't let out

View PostKnucklez, on 17 June 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

What...? You can't play Sky Sanctuary B as Sonic/Tails. If you try to it just rejects with a horn sound.
What about Debug Mode? :( I mean, this is what happens when you play Sonic/Tails's final bosses as Knuckles.

#1668 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

• Project:College

#1669 User is offline MrMaestro 

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:40 AM

• Not your average member of a forum
  • Project:Solving a Rubik's cube
Another idea might be when you play as sonic alone it uses that surfboard intro but with sonic and tails it uses tornado intro... just a suggestion

#1670 User is offline Neo 

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostMrMaestro, on 30 June 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

Another idea might be when you play as sonic alone it uses that surfboard intro but with sonic and tails it uses tornado intro... just a suggestion
Sorry, the surfboard intro will never be implemented because the code is gone from the S&K code base and only exists in S3. And even if we went through the trouble of porting the object over from S3, it's incomplete so the title card and HUD never show up, and then we'd also have to redraw all the sprites to properly fit the S1/S2/S3 style depending on the patch option, so it's definitely something you shouldn't expect to be hidden behind an obscure set of cheat codes or anything.
This post has been edited by Neo: 30 June 2016 - 03:48 AM

#1671 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

You'd also have to take into account the dramatic effect of Knuckles ambushing Sonic.

Then again, we should also worry about how Knuckles can steal your Chaos Emeralds even though you already collected them.

#1672 User is offline MrMaestro 

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:38 PM

• Not your average member of a forum
  • Project:Solving a Rubik's cube
I now see many things wrong with that idea.

Not to mention that would mess-up the timeline of sonic 3 & knuckles.

What about knuckles gliding and climbing in 2p mode, cause there's sprites for that... I think.

EDIT: 7/1/2016 - There is sprites for that.
This post has been edited by MrMaestro: 30 June 2016 - 11:40 PM

#1673 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:54 AM

Tiddles already said that Competition Mode is very low priority, although they have enough differences in acceleration to be different.

#1674 User is offline Despatche 

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

• Wiki edits:11
Hi! I'm sure you've had enough grovelling, but I also want to thank the team for putting this together. For me, the most important parts are the S&KC tracks (thank you) and the S1/2 act clear jingle, though the S3 tracks toggle is pretty cool too.

#1675 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Someone wanted Tiddles to address this:

My link

Something about a feature on the PC port.
This post has been edited by MathUser: 05 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

#1676 User is offline Tiddles 

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:08 AM

• Diamond Dust
  • Project:Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
  • Wiki edits:31

View PostMathUser, on 05 October 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

Someone wanted Tiddles to address this:

My link

Something about a feature on the PC port.

Tiddles said:

The Jackal said:

This was the best thread I could find for this, so here goes:

I recently did a playthrough of Sonic 3 alone as part of the 1996 Sonic & Knuckles Collection PC port. I collected all the emeralds and got to the final boss, and noticed something interesting that I can't seem to find anyone else has documented on the internet - they patched the fight so transforming into Super Sonic is no longer possible. It makes sense as it's the final boss, and Super Sonic could be hurt by the boss's second phase if it grabbed him, but it's still a weird thing to change (imo).

Can this be possibly added to Sonic 3 Complete (just asking, not demanding/requesting)? Or has it already been implemented? As I said, it's nigh impossible to find anything online about it. Cheers.

Bump for horribly late response!

I looked into this, and it seems to be a bug in S&KC rather than deliberate behaviour - the timer is stopped after the Ball Launcher boss, and never restarts when you fight Beam Rocket. When the timer stops, you detransform, and can't transform again until it starts up again. This is what causes detransformation when you beat most bosses.

In (original) Sonic 3, the timer doesn't stop after beating Ball Launcher, so you remain transformed if you are already transformed (wasting a load of rings on the scripted Eggmobile sequence) and can transform again later if not.

In S3&K, the timer stops after beating Ball Launcher and is restarted when Beam Rocket spawns, so you will be detransformed for the cutscene, but you can transform again once the next boss fight starts, provided you still have enough rings.

The "Sonic 3" mode in S&K collection seems to mostly use S3&K object code apart from a few specific cases - note that monitors break from below as in S3&K, the debug monitor gives you Hyper Sonic, and the player can duck to spin dash when moving slowly, for example, but starposts act like Sonic 3 in terms of their conditions for bonus warp spawning. So I'm pretty sure what happened here is that they kept the S3&K version of Ball Launcher that stops the timer, and swapped in the S3 version of Beam Rocket/Big Arm which never restarts it.

S3C's approach is different - we still favour S3&K object code, but we wrote our own conditions to make it act like S3 in relevant cases. Since a big part of the original goal was to act like the original S3 where practical anyway, it made sense to carry this approach on when we built S3 mode. So we retain the S3&K behaviour of stopping and restarting the timer, and also the S3&K behaviour of Big Arm not trashing your superpowers.

tl;dr version - S&KC behaviour seems to be a bug so we won't be replicating it.

#1677 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Bug or not, I really did enjoy Big Arms' ability to knock the rings out of Super Sonic though. It seemed like a nice call back to the beginning cut scene of the game, and made the boss actually threatening in some way.

Either way, I still appreciate the awesome things this hack has done so far.

#1678 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 07 November 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

Bug or not, I really did enjoy Big Arms' ability to knock the rings out of Super Sonic though.

But nothing suggests that it was a bug... right?

#1679 User is offline Neo 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostICEknight, on 07 November 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 07 November 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

Bug or not, I really did enjoy Big Arms' ability to knock the rings out of Super Sonic though.

Apart from leaving you in semi-super state, with regular sprites but super colors, with invincibility music still running, I don't think so no

EDIT: My attorney tells me none of the above is true, however, the point still stands (?)
This post has been edited by Neo: 07 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

#1680 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostICEknight, on 07 November 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

Aside from the fact that it was fixed in S3K, and that it's the same thing as the ice balls in Ice Cap Zone (that were only half-fixed) and the spike bug in Sonic 1

• 118 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users