Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Continuum Project (Looking for help) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Continuum Project (Looking for help) OC character Competition Details Inside

#16 User is offline SonicContinuum 

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostHedgeHayes, on 21 September 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

Since you ninja'ed my edit, please check that. I supposed the art is just a placeholder, but scaling it or using it in a way that clashes with the original use for it (that suddenly cut vine ramp from mushroom hill, for example) doesn't look good. I'm not sure if the green hill garbage was directly referring to your work or it was just an example of what not to post, but, sorry to say you this, that video is still a bad presentation card.

Sorry I didn't notice your edit.

I do not mind having criticism with the video. I agree the video doesn't look good, I am just demoing the controls.

I was only disagreeing with him because he said "learning coding first before you post a screenshot", which I already know coding otherwise there wouldn't be a demo.

Once again, I was just looking for an artist. and I mean zero disrespect towards him. I sincerely apologize if I said something that angered him

Is the demo perfect? No

but again I need to have some way of showing that the game is being taken seriously even though I do not have art.

In fact, that green hill level, won't even be in the final game. Again it was just a demo for the controls, if you know a good way to demo my game with no art. please pm it to me.

Also, If you guys know how to change the title of the thread, let me know. So that I remove the looking for help part.
This post has been edited by SonicContinuum: 21 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

#17 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Not sure if a moderator is necessary for the title thing or you may do that yourself.

I'm not telling you to show a demo with no art, but I'm sure you can draw some basic shapes with a simple design, that's a part of my project I've already been doing and I'm not a pixel artist or have any professional expertise with general art. I have two sets, one that works as base level art and other one simpler than the first to show the active layer and solidities. It just takes a lot more time when you don't know how to do that.

Also, I wasn't defending the other guy, I was just giving my own impressions. I mentioned the green hill garbage thing because I understood that in a different way than you, that's all.

As I said earlier, I don't get how does people get a team for their work in the first place, and I understand your frustration about having to do so much alone before having any chance of recruitment. Anyway, that's the way it works in this forum, and seems it also does in SFGHQ (Sonic fan games headquarters) site, which could seem the other obvious place to try recruiting. I'd suggest to blend better in the community for some time before trying anything else, and work on your demo meanwhile even on the areas you're not skilled on.

#18 User is offline SonicContinuum 

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostHedgeHayes, on 21 September 2017 - 08:33 PM, said:

Not sure if a moderator is necessary for the title thing or you may do that yourself.

I'm not telling you to show a demo with no art, but I'm sure you can draw some basic shapes with a simple design, that's a part of my project I've already been doing and I'm not a pixel artist or have any professional expertise with general art. I have two sets, one that works as base level art and other one simpler than the first to show the active layer and solidities. It just takes a lot more time when you don't know how to do that.

Also, I wasn't defending the other guy, I was just giving my own impressions. I mentioned the green hill garbage thing because I understood that in a different way than you, that's all.

As I said earlier, I don't get how does people get a team for their work in the first place, and I understand your frustration about having to do so much alone before having any chance of recruitment. Anyway, that's the way it works in this forum, and seems it also does in SFGHQ (Sonic fan games headquarters) site, which could seem the other obvious place to try recruiting. I'd suggest to blend better in the community for some time before trying anything else, and work on your demo meanwhile even on the areas you're not skilled on.

ok, I understand and respect that. I apologize if my post was inconvenient.

next month I will certainly follow your feedback. and I hope you feel much more satisfied from the October update.
This post has been edited by SonicContinuum: 21 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

#19 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

Yeah I was not referring to the quality of your work. I didn't even notice that the links lead to something until after I posted. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

As I said earlier, I don't get how does people get a team for their work in the first place, and I understand the frustration about having to do so much alone before having any chance of recruitment.

That is a mystery to me as well. As a programmer I cant find an artist that would put more than 30 minutes of drawing on an odd weekend. Even those of 'deviantart quality'. I've tried so many times.
As for why we don't ask for team members here, its simply that nobody would even try to join. There are 2 scenarios that are quite common

a) "I have this great ideatext for a game, I want to just talk while everyone else programs, draws, and does the music. I have no experience making games and nothing to show for it."
However good an idea(really everybody is talking just about the game summary) is depends on the actual execution. 2D Sequel to Sonic & Knuckles sounds like a win win right? Sonic 4, Chaotix and Sonic Advance had bigger budgets, staff and time, but didn't come near close to Mania.

b) Even projects that are appealing and highly praised have a hard time even having someone apply for them, regardless of skill level.
Case in point AXSX:" I have this awesome game, but I cannot program and I need just a couple of bug fixes". Result: 0 programmers called the past 5 years

tl.dr. we are not trying to prevent you from recruiting the artists you want/need/deserve. There simply aren't any free artists on these forums looking for a project to join to begin with.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 22 September 2017 - 01:08 AM

#20 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

• Project:Too many of them
Well, I know it's probably a lot harder to find people for projects these days than before, and seems like it was already hard even then, but a single person filling all the roles is too much asking for, moreso if it's not a professional project. It will take me ages to have what I want to show as a proof of my capabilities. I hope it will get easier after achieving that, specially considering how many projects I have and how big are some of them (I plan them in sets so I can give them plot consistency and know everything I'll have to add to the engine in advance). I also get that sometimes no one will join because they want to work on a project of their own, and not on someone else's, but, personally, I need to save every level trope I had in mind for my projects or I could find myself in trouble to make all those levels (over a hundred of them at this moment).

#21 User is offline SonicContinuum 

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

View Postwinterhell, on 22 September 2017 - 12:59 AM, said:

Yeah I was not referring to the quality of your work. I didn't even notice that the links lead to something until after I posted. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

As I said earlier, I don't get how does people get a team for their work in the first place, and I understand the frustration about having to do so much alone before having any chance of recruitment.

That is a mystery to me as well. As a programmer I cant find an artist that would put more than 30 minutes of drawing on an odd weekend. Even those of 'deviantart quality'. I've tried so many times.
As for why we don't ask for team members here, its simply that nobody would even try to join. There are 2 scenarios that are quite common

a) "I have this great ideatext for a game, I want to just talk while everyone else programs, draws, and does the music. I have no experience making games and nothing to show for it."
However good an idea(really everybody is talking just about the game summary) is depends on the actual execution. 2D Sequel to Sonic & Knuckles sounds like a win win right? Sonic 4, Chaotix and Sonic Advance had bigger budgets, staff and time, but didn't come near close to Mania.

b) Even projects that are appealing and highly praised have a hard time even having someone apply for them, regardless of skill level.
Case in point AXSX:" I have this awesome game, but I cannot program and I need just a couple of bug fixes". Result: 0 programmers called the past 5 years

tl.dr. we are not trying to prevent you from recruiting the artists you want/need/deserve. There simply aren't any free artists on these forums looking for a project to join to begin with.

Sorry if I misunderstood you as well.

I mean I got some artists. but yeah I know what you mean. Even when you find artists, only a few of them know how to make sprites, and even fewer know how to make a certain arstyle.

I also Completely understand that execution is important, and my goal for the October update (we have a monthly update on this game) is to be able to focus more on the gameplay and what we did new with it rather than controls

also I do not know what you need for AXSX, but I am a programmer, and I also know some programmers, I can refer them to you if you want.
This post has been edited by SonicContinuum: 22 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

#22 User is offline SonicContinuum 

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

Greetings everyone,

I am the developer of sonic continuum, bringing you the monthly update for the game. You can watch the update here: https://www.youtube....h?v=6EqL9EbNQWU

On Thursday we will be launching our new fan page website. On Friday we will be releasing a tutorial on how to load your favorite characters in the demo (and in the full game when it launches). Finally on Saturday, you will be able to use these tools to make your own characters and submit them if you want for others to play.

Personally, I would love to see your imagination and I want to see a sense of community of people making characters for each other to play. Personally I am inspired by the work I have saw in the sonic hacking contest throughout the years and I wanted to make a game that would allow anyone to easily modify its characters.

What better way to celebrate Sonic Forces launch than by allowing you to make your own character in the demo?

#23 User is offline Foxeh 

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:23 AM

• Animator
  • Project:Sonic AGES and Writing a documentation for Realms
to avoid your project having multiple topic pages, perhaps you should look into updating the original topic so all the information is in one spot?

also nice to see you're still working on this. :)
This post has been edited by Foxeh: 03 November 2017 - 12:24 AM

#24 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
What he said. Stop making multiple topics for the same thing.

#25 User is offline SonicContinuum 

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostOverlord, on 03 November 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

What he said. Stop making multiple topics for the same thing.

Oh sorry, wont happen again. I didn't know it would cause inconvenience. I am incredibly sorry.

View PostFoxeh, on 03 November 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

to avoid your project having multiple topic pages, perhaps you should look into updating the original topic so all the information is in one spot?

also nice to see you're still working on this. :)/>/>

Yes, we are releasing a pre alpha of the modding tool later today, we already have a tutorial for how to use it on our youtube channel
This post has been edited by SonicContinuum: 06 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users