Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Shenmue I & II - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Shenmue I & II The saga begins... again

#31 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

• Wiki edits:18

Hi Shenmue fans,

Thank you for your patience and all your feedback on the previous patch. We've now rolled patch v1.01 over to the default branch and are staging a new patch v2 on a beta branch for community testing. As always, participation in this patch is voluntary, if you are not experiencing any of the issues below we recommend you stay on the default branch and do not download the patch.

Please note that patch v2 includes the fixes from patch v1.01, and so the patch notes include fixes from both patches.

Your feedback helps us a great deal. Please report any issue you encounter post-patch in this thread with your system specs.

"Hi Shenmue fans! Wanna work for SEGA? Now you can do it! For FREE!" D:

Seriously, what is with SEGA seemingly not hiring betatesters anymore. This is making them look really bad.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 03 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

#32 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostICEknight, on 03 September 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

Seriously, what is with SEGA seemingly not hiring betatesters anymore. This is making them look really bad.

It's better than no patches to be honest, which is what I was expecting.

#33 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:27 PM

• Wiki edits:6

I think they knew about the problems before release and just didn't have the time to fix them. They probably wanted to get the game out before all of the big releases coming later so that it wouldn't be completely passed over. Some of the problems are so obvious that they must have known about them. In the first 20 minutes of Shenmue 2 you hear multiple audio tracks that sound awful because decay wasn't working correctly yet. (Arm Wrestling, Queens Street) Not to mention the black levels problem was noticeable in the trailers before release and we pointed it out back then, but were fooled into thinking it was fixed already by older screenshots that were taken before they broke it.

I had initially thought that the reason Japan wasn't getting the game for over 3 months after the rest of the world was because of localization reasons (as Japanese text is not an option in the western release despite offering Japanese VO) but it was figured out less than 24 hours after release that the Japanese localization is present and you just need to manually set the language as selected in the config file on PC to use it. While we may never know the true reason, I think the Japanese release date was set based on when they believed all of the issues could be completely resolved so that the version on disc for Japan doesn't need a day-one patch.

I played around with the PCv2 patch today. It fixes some audio problems, but it's still not 100% correct yet. Shenmue 1 finally has footsteps everywhere like it should now, and the ones outdoors that I heard in my short testing were fine, but inside the Hazuki residence they were weird sounding. Shenmue 2's music now has instruments decay properly, so the Arm Wrestling music doesn't sound terrible now but it still sounds off. At least it's to the point where it's not so bad that it's annoying.

I decided to take a break shortly after starting Shenmue II, because the black levels bothered me a lot. Everything in the shade was way too dark and hard to see, even with contrast set to +100. I'm going to go back to it after Yakuza Kiwami 2, where hopefully the console versions will have caught up with PC. The point that the PC version is at now is probably what it should have been at launch. The remaining issues are things I think they need to fix still, but as far as I've seen PC is at least to the point where the remaining problems don't make the game too annoying to play.

#34 User is offline Ch1pper 

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

• Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less
  • Project:Life.
  • Wiki edits:40

View Postsonicblur, on 03 September 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

I decided to take a break shortly after starting Shenmue II, because the black levels bothered me a lot. Everything in the shade was way too dark and hard to see, even with contrast set to +100.

Is that what it is? Ugh, I thought it was weird that I had to set the games (on PS4) to +25 contrast and on my TV separately just to see anything.

#35 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:21 PM

• Wiki edits:6

I think they knew about the problems before release and just didn't have the time to fix them.

We now have confirmation of that being the case. Saw this posted on ResetEra earlier today - John from Digital Foundry was on a podcast where they start talking about Shenmue 1&2 around 30 minutes in:
http://backinmyplay....gs-music-ports/

Sega provided reviewers with a list of known bugs prior to release and asked that they not be considered in reviews because they would be fixing them with the day one patch. When John made his video that came out on release day, the bugs were not mentioned because he was assuming they would be fixed by the patch that hasn't really happened yet. I'd love to see a reviewer leak the list...

View PostCh1pper, on 05 September 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

I decided to take a break shortly after starting Shenmue II, because the black levels bothered me a lot. Everything in the shade was way too dark and hard to see, even with contrast set to +100.

Is that what it is? Ugh, I thought it was weird that I had to set the games (on PS4) to +25 contrast and on my TV separately just to see anything.

The problem only affects Shenmue II. For the first game, I did set my contrast to +25 like you did but everything was consistent in that game so increasing the level did make it closer to the original.

This is a non-technical explanation, but in Shenmue II's case darkness seems to be multiplied instead of added so dark things get too dark too fast so contrast adjustment doesn't help with that. I believe the patch is due on Friday, but we still don't know if it's the 2.0 patch that PC got last week on the beta branch or if it's just the 1.0.1 patch that PC got the week prior. I'm hoping for 2.0 because that one fixes most of the major problems including music decay.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users