don't click here

Sonic Quick Winter Adventures

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by vladikcomper, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    The difficulty of that final boss is sadistic. Mostly because, instead of bouncing off him when you hit him, you fall into him and it instantly damages you (because he auto-attacks every time he's hit). The only safe way to damage him is to spindash through him and then jump when he comes back at you. Jump dashing was working, but then it randomly bounced me back in the direction I came from once and caused me to get hit by his attack. At least when you hit Silver Sonic in Sonic 2, he bounced you to the other side of the screen (unless you were one of those cool people who just sat under him while he was descending and charged up a spindash) and didn't INSTANTLY counter attack before you could even land. Thing is, even if you were one of those people who just bounced up and down on his head... well, that was possible with him. It's not with this boss, because you just fall into him.

It also seems like you made it so that you can only pick your rings back up once you stop flashing, which allows the rings to fall off-screen before I can pick them back up almost every time. Then again, I might just be imagining things.

Also, the homing attack feels a bit wonky. At times, it won't home in on things that are right in front of Sonic (which caused me to jump dash into spike pits and whatnot numerous times), whereas at other times, it will actually home in on things that are BEHIND Sonic, while I'm holding forward. One time, there was a motobug behind me and a buzzbomber in front of me. The buzzbomber was significantly closer to me, and I jumped just inches from its face before using the homing attack... and it homed on the motobug. Wut?

Well, for a Christmas quicky, it's good, but otherwise it would need a lot of work.

2. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    I knew the boss is too hardcore from the beginning, but that was the best I could do for such short time. Disabling his counterattacks would make him boring, the game would be less interesting.
    BTW this is my first custom boss. =)

The same was in original Sonic games, I didn't make it.
    Also, you can't pick up rings for a few seconds after Sonic was hurt, but not during the whole flashing time.

Yeah, my Homing Attack is buggy. Sometimes it targets wrongly. I'm going to redo it.

3. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    IIRC, the original Sonic 1 requires you to wait 16 frames after you land after getting hit before you can pick up rings again. For comparison, you get 120 frames (I.e. two seconds) of temporary invulnerability (flashing) time after landing.

4. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Meaning in the original you can pick your rings back up long before you stop flashing.

EDIT: Never mind, I was imagining things.

5. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    I wasn't sure if I should show this or not, but I've finally decided.

The work I'm going to show is currently in Russian (yeah, I've trasnlated my hack to Russian), that's why I wasn't sure about this. Unfortunately, I can't translate it to English until all the work about hack is done.

So, I've made a new video of upcoming Sonic Quick Winter Adventures 2. I'm so glad I finally can show all the features I've been working on for several months.

Firstly, I've made some new bosses for the hack. Evil Sonic was completely remade from the ground up, you'll also see an uncompleted mini-boss in MZ.

Secondly, the music. I've finally started learning music hacking =P (I hadn't time to do it for a long time)
    SQWA now uses new jman's DAC-driver, with more samples added. Some samples, like Kick and Snare, were replaced, that's notable when listening to music. Also, there are some new music ports in the hack. I'd like to thank Jet (he's not on the forums though) for main menu theme which is music port from Megaman: The Wily Wars. Other new songs are mine, they're generally XM2SMPS ports featuring Sonic Advance music.

You'll see the rest of new features when watch the video, so... enjoy! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDHSAh4BgVE

P.S.: I was making this post in a hurry, so there can be lots of grammar mistakes. =P

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Not a bad little hack. The end suprise was amusing.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I like what I see, especially the level select menu.
    However please note that the sound effect for all the rings you collect is panned to the left instead of alternating between left and right, you somehow broke it, unless it's intentional.

8. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    That's not intentional. I've probably broken something after some experiments with the sound driver. I'll attempt to fix it.

9. BlazyNights

BlazyNights

Too lazy to learn ASM since '06 Member
    The surprise was quite hard, the pallets sometimes made it hard to tell what's what, and I question the music choice.

10. Espyo

Espyo

Portugal, Porto, some street
    A Pikmin fan engine - Pikifen (https://pikminfanon.com/Pikifen)
    It was a fun little hack. Just goes to show that one doesn't need to do a ton of work to get a good thing. Of course, it's short, and there are some flaws here and there, but it was enjoyable. During the Sonic Clone fight, I died once, and accidentally found a good strategy. Essentially, go to the left part of the screen, and face the clone. When he is coming towards you and is near the middle of the screen, jump dash on him. He'll spindash to the left and then to the right, giving you enough time to jump over him, jump dash to the left, and repeat.

11. I loved the final boss but I felt the choice of music and the homing attack was kind of poor. But that's just my opinion.

12. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    Yeah, music in my hack is not really impressive, that's because I still don't have enough time and experience to do good music ports (as seen on the latest video, there are only two of them currently). I'll probably do some more ports before the next release, unfortunately, I'm going to put all my efforts in bosses and menu system, but not in music =(
    As for homing, it's really buggy a bit (I did it long time ago, when my knowledge of ASM and Sonic engine was worse, that's why the code isn't completely optimized and has some bugs). I'll probably redo it soon.

13. I REALLY enjoyed this! The final boss of Act 3 was a surprise and quite difficult to beat ! How long did the boss take you to code? (and how did you do the snow? I'm curious. because it seemed like a really nice feature for a level but I've never seen it done before)

14. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    The boss development took about 2,5 days, it was the second (as far as I can remember) object I've coded, so it's code is big and stupid, and I couldn't do some extra abilities I had planned. The newer version of boss, seen on the video, was completely remade. I learned much about objects and Sonic engine by that moment, so coding took about 2 days. I also could do anything I wanted, and even more =)

As for the snow, it was made through the objects as well. Each snowflake is a single object. But I've redone the snow recently, so two snowflakes now use one object. It can't be seen on the video due to frame rate, but snowflakes are blinking every frame, when one part of them is hidden, the other one got shown.

15. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    Sorry for the double post, but there is an update.

C/P form SSRG:

I've had some progress on my hack, Sonic Quick Winter Adventures 2, and due to I'm often asked about how SQWA2's going, I've recorded a small video featuring MZ 1 and GHZ 2 game play.

I haven't changed much since the previous video, levels are still almost original.
    Hack now features some new songs done by Jet for me, because my ports were really awful.

In the end of GHZ 2 you'll see a new Eggman boss. I found original GHZ Boss boring and easy to beat, so I programmed more complicated and smart boss, having several kinds of attacks. Hope you like it ^^

Well, enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PRMKGsES2U

16. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Brilliant, really liked that boss. Can't wait for the next release.

17. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I finally decided to do more graphic changes, since my hack lacked for them. The results are new title cards, signposts, level results card and redesigned pause menu (better than you could see in last videos). I was having a hard time when drawing these, hope you like them ^_^

Also, as you noticed, the hack has finally got an English translation. Both Russian and English languages will be present in a single ROM.

Pause Menu is now very smoothy animated. As for the title cards, they're animated too. It was my dream for a long time to create a title cards like these.
    If you want to see their animations, here is a short vid: http://vladikcomper.narod.ru/download/SQWA2-VideoBonus.7z
    (to play the video, you should have the Kega Video Codec)

18. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Very nice. Any chance of level art edits? Or a release? I quite like this hack.

19. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    Yes, I plan to do some level art edits, because palletes edits are overused and boring now. Art changes won't be large though, because drawing is not my cup of tea.
    As for release, unfortunately, it won't come soon. Too many things still need to be done. My current goals are to finish the menu system, MZ bosses and other features, which will be shown later.
    But I promise that you'll see millions of new things in the next release. =)

20. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Act 3 boss was hilarious. Fairly easy, but then again, I play sonic like I play competitive smash bros. ahahaha.

I'd also like to say to OP that I found that secret area with 034u9580934853 monitors which allowed me to clear the whole act in under 90 seconds, boss included.

Jump dash is really easily to exploit/abuse/manipluate in this game, but it was fun though. :V