Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Engine (Unreal Engine 4) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Would you want to play test the engine?

1: If a build of the engine with some levels was released, would you download and play test it?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

2: If builds were released occasionally would you download them for testing?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Sonic Engine (Unreal Engine 4) A Sonic Engine made in Unreal Engine 4 with no C++ code written!

#16 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:02 AM

Is there a better coding language to use when creating your own Sonic engine? I know C++ is a more powerful language than C#, but it seems like a powerful engine can be made by either language. What language would you guys use if you were to build your own engine?

#17 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

View Postlotzi, on 28 September 2017 - 03:02 AM, said:

I know C++ is a more powerful language than C#, but it seems like a powerful engine can be made by either language. What language would you guys use if you were to build your own engine?

Choose the one you are more comfortable with. Both languages can do the same things with the same speed. If a competent person writes it, you'll get the same framerate ingame with either.

#18 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

If I were to make my own Sonic engine, what are somethings you'd recommend that I need to know before I start writing code?

#19 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

You need thousands of hours of experience just writing programs and games.
Also, this is a must. You absolutely cannot jump over it, and you'll only lose time by not doing it, not save:
You need to write couple of very basic games, and gradually go bigger. Pong, Snake, Tetris, Pacman, then a platformer that spans several screens, Super Mario Bros Level 1-1 is a good place.
After, and only after you have programmed these games, you'd have the experience to move to something bigger.

I cant stress enough how important those are. 99% of the people would go 'pfft, Pong, thats stupid'. But an experienced programmer can code it in 15 minutes. If you are that good, would you lose something by giving 15 minutes of your time and doing it anyway?

This is the best advice I can give you.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 28 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

#20 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

View Postwinterhell, on 28 September 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

You need thousands of hours of experience just writing programs and games.
Also, this is a must. You absolutely cannot jump over it, and you'll only lose time by not doing it, not save:
You need to write couple of very basic games, and gradually go bigger. Pong, Snake, Tetris, Pacman, then a platformer that spans several screens, Super Mario Bros Level 1-1 is a good place.
After, and only after you have programmed these games, you'd have the experience to move to something bigger.

I cant stress enough how important those are. 99% of the people would go 'pfft, Pong, thats stupid'. But an experienced programmer can code it in 15 minutes. If you are that good, would you lose something by giving 15 minutes of your time and doing it anyway?

This is the best advice I can give you.

Thanks for the advice.

I already have some experience making a game through school and side projects, so I'm looking to start a bigger project. Sonic's game engine is kool so I wanted to try and build it. Is the "Fangaming Discussion" forum a place where I can ask coding questions?

#21 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

• Project:College

View Postlotzi, on 28 September 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

I already have some experience making a game through school and side projects, so I'm looking to start a bigger project. Sonic's game engine is kool so I wanted to try and build it. Is the "Fangaming Discussion" forum a place where I can ask coding questions?

Which language(s) were these projects in, and what was the scope of them?

#22 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

View PostXeal, on 28 September 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

View Postlotzi, on 28 September 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

Which language(s) were these projects in, and what was the scope of them?

What's it to you?

#23 User is offline Xeal 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

• Project:College
Wow. Way to respond to a simple question given how your previous responses appear to show that you are way over your head to suddenly jump into Unreal Engine 4 and build a "sonic like" game engine from scratch.

#24 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

Sorry about that. I just wanted to know why you were interested in my background.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users