Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 322 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!) Generations Cracked wide open (Custom Levels are an ongoing event!

#4756 User is offline Sky The Destroyer 

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

You should be able to adjust the black bars in your GPU's graphics settings.

For example, the NVIDIA control panel has a section called "Adjust desktop size and position" where you can set the image on your monitor to:
  • Scale to aspect ratio (stretches the image full-screen to your monitor while keeping the aspect ratio, filling in black bars if it doesn't fit your monitor's aspect ratio)
  • Full-screen (stretches the image fully to your monitor, no black bars)
  • No scaling (resolution displays as-is size without ever stretching, generally wouldn't ever choose this one)

You may have to also check the override scaling options set by games checkbox if that doesn't work.

Unsure of what you can do with other GPUs, though. This is just part of the NVIDIA control panel.
This post has been edited by Sky The Destroyer: 29 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

#4757 User is offline tuanpingas 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

• Project:some small Sonic Generations mods
N69vid from YouTube ported and released Seaside Hill (and Sky Sanctuary) from final version to old BETA version (Final version compiled in October, beta in May).
You need a modified PS3 or Freeboot Xbox 360 to play.

And here is a preview of Sky Sanctuary in BETA engine:

This post has been edited by tuanpingas: 31 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

#4758 User is offline JcFerggy 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57
That is really cool on a technical level, but why would anyone want to do that?

#4759 User is offline Mors 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

• Fangame Creator
  • Project:Super Mario Flashback

View PostJcFerggy, on 31 March 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

That is really cool on a technical level, but why would anyone want to do that?

To see the differences between demo and final version. Some objects behave differently on the beta.

#4760 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:Castlevania prettyness
  • Wiki edits:5
Interesting. Looks like the Beta didnt have Sonic spin around when over an air shaft and instead made him use his freefall pose (which I kind of like better / makes more sense in context to Heroes/ triangle dive etc), but more interesting is the fact light rays seemed to work in earlier builds.

Well how bout that.

#4761 User is offline KingOfBunnies 

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:31 PM

So, like, over a year ago, JonTron tweeted that he was able to try out Sonic Generations on the Oculus Rift. I don't have a link, but it got me thinking. Is it possible to play Sonic Generations with the Oculus Rift? If so, how would you go about doing that?

#4762 User is offline DinnerSonic 

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:05 AM

• Never Posting Since 2004!
First, there's a few apps out there(Heck, I think Steam has an official solution even) that let you play 2D and 3D side by side games on a virtual screen, the latter would apply to Generations already, while others have unofficial 3D support. I've not been able to do it myself, but 3D TV type games should look better on a VR headset than with glasses since it separates the eye screens better, I believe.

But, no, you want to really get in the game, I assume. There's a few injectors out there that can let you play in real VR style. Vireio is free, while Tridef and VorpX cost money. Though, I'm not sure which are up to date or out of date, what with actual consumer models finally trickling out, but Generations seems to work with at least some of them judging by old videos, and with modern VR headtracking you're sure to only get somewhat sick during high speed modern levels! On a related note, I saw Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed on one of those VR injector compatability lists in a quick Google Search.

Hopefully people who know more will say which of those programs is the best, but maybe this'll help out some?

#4763 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Wouldn't work well in VR. Built in 3D isn't exactly shaped for it so it seems at least a good portion of the screen would be cut off. Pop in is also kind of agressive which becomes more apparent with the injectors. Speaking of the injectors, their headtracking is typically to convert the movement of the headset to mouse movement. This is horrible since 1. It would only work for games that use the mouse for camera movement and 2. There is no positional tracking and limited rotational tracking (yaw, pitch, no roll) so it could be pretty nausea inducing. We can try to mitigate these issues using both an injector as well as mods. Do things like increase the fov within the game itself, change the camera, things like this and that. In the end it seems it would only work good if you stay stationary through the whole time. That doesn't seem likely as people who tried this compare it as flying through hyperspace then being tossed to your computer's seat when your done :P

Also, Unleashed Project seems to have an issue with the game's side-by-side 3D feature. Some stages have random textures stay stuck on the screen, like Adabat having a splash texture right in the middle. Nvidia's 3DTV Play fixes this issue, but I'd prefer to stay away from it as resolution isn't flexible (720p 60fps or 1080p 24fps only), the software being $40, and it being an unpolished hack of sorts to force 3D.

#4764 User is offline Falk 

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:49 AM

Feel like that's a fast track (ehehe) to nausea. VR has a very specific FOV/framing/etc. Having the FOV change every time you so much as boost would be a cool effect... for about three seconds.

3D isn't VR. Most 3DS games would be terrible in VR.

#4765 User is offline Dude 

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

• Project:Random VR/AR trash
  • Wiki edits:43
If you were willing to re-design the camera layouts and object layouts you could make the game play like Lucky's Tale but faster. That would be a pretty huge project though. Like others have said you'd need to lock the FOV and get the framerate up to 90fps. I imagine you'd also need a comfort cage to break the visual motion cues by the periphery.

I really would like to see a VR Sonic game, but Generations probably isn't the best platform to start from.

#4766 User is offline KingOfBunnies 

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Having a problem again when I boot up the game. Sometimes when I get to the hub world, the game runs at 35 frames per second. In the hub world and normal levels. But, sometimes, if I close it and reopen it, if I do that a few times, the game runs properly at 60 FPS. I talked to someone at Geek Squad what the problem could be, and they said since my graphics card could run it faster than 60 FPS, to try and find a way to set the frame rate to 99 or unlimited. Is there a way to do this? Since it's not in the configure menu on Steam.

#4767 User is offline Jason 

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
Some cool person added GIA to my old Titanic Timber mod.

#4768 User is offline Venom Snake 

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

View Posturlogic, on 29 March 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but is there any way to make this game run at an actual 4:3 ratio? IIRC Unleashed could do it.

View PostS0LV0, on 29 March 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Not sure what to tell you then, it's not really my expertise. Maybe try digging into the ini itself to see if there are hidden options.

Sorry for bumping the thread a bit, but I finally figured out how to get the game to properly display on non-16:9 displays.
Just use the simple tool known as Widescreen Fixer.
If you have it set on Sonic Generations, put the scaling to automatic, press * while in game, and then it should scale to your resolution. The only problem is the hud will not scale, and enabling the HUD scaling option within Widescreen Fixer will cause the game to crash (at least on a 1280x1024 display, idk if it works with other resolutions). Fortunately most HUD removing mods will work with this.

There's about 5 or so pictures in here with the fix on.
This post has been edited by Venom Snake: 04 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

#4769 User is offline Violet 

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

• Project:Flicky Engine, Overdrive
I'm out of the modding scene for quite a few years and was wondering
is it still required to have 3DS Max 2010 > 2011 to export collision and all that fancy stuff?

If so, any way to grab a legal copy of that on their page?
IIRC you can't get any old version from autodesk anymore.

#4770 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
Anyone interested in experimenting with new tools for custom stages should check out this post.

• 322 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users