Alright, I'll start with the title screen
Once you press start, you come to the character select... of course, in the final version the tornado and clouds should be animated
After you select your character(s), the screen will pan, and present the level select. Like S3&K though, you can only select levels visited. once you select one, the tornadow with your previously selected characters will fly to that zone
Now, here's where it gets a bit off from 16bit sonic... there's two paths (kinda like original starfox). If you've noticed in the animated GIF above, there's a top series of levels, and a bottom series of levels (the last two occur in both series). But before I continue on that. let me give a bit of a backstory on the game itself.
STORY: After the events in S&K, robotnik has revisited Angel Island and finds it to be prime real estate. The once serene floating island, is now littered with construction, budding cities, and robotniks laboratories, and badniks on the lookout. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles have hidden the emeralds even deeper within the island... but robotnik is on a mission to find them, while he pushes out all the wildlife off the island (as well as Knuckles' home).
Level 1: Endangered Island
- Act 1: Mostly forest (similar to S3 - AIZ)
- Act 2: Forrest, but with an occasional building and under-construction highways
- Boss A: Robotnik Crane (I will post pics later)
- Boss B: Robotnik Drill Dropper (I will post pics later)
If you approach Boss A, you will go the top route
If you approach Boss B, you will go the bottom route
Level 2: Cement City Zone
- Act 1: Construction theme (like OOZ but much more yellow, orange, black and gray)
- Act 2: Same (slight alterations - more indoor)
- Boss: Cement Mixer (I have sketches of the boss layout and mechanics... mock-up comming soon)
Level 3: Topside cliffs Zone
- Act 1: moutain theme (vertically mirrored version of Underside Cliff Zone)
Level 4: Waterfall Mines Zone
- Act 1: A vertically biased zone. Sonic is traveling DOWN a mineshaft
- Boss: Robotnik Excavator (pic below)
Some explanation on this one. Drills pop out on both sides (mostly facing up) when one drills down below sonic has the opportunity to hit one of the drills. The giant orbs you see are from S3&Ks bonus round, and act similarly here. Sonic can travel up the Waterfall by pressing "jump" similar to Sandopolis Zone in S&K. Each drill has 2 hit-points. Once all drills are destroyed, Robotnik zooms down... where the level transitions to Emerald Archive (Read past "Bottom Route")
Level 2: Medical Mecha Zone
- Act 1: Lab setting (similar to Metropolis Zone)
The background needs some more work. Anyway, there's a theme in this zone. In the picture you see, it's a machine that's largely unavoidable. when you enter it, it charges up and sonic has "something extracted" and it shoots him off onto another path (similar to the tubes in Metropolis Zone, but more complex). These devices play into this Zone's boss (read on).
- Act 2: Deeper into the lab's bowels... more machinery in the background.
- Boss: Gene Sequencer (animated mock-up coming soon)
You can see the obviously-DNA looking thing. Robotnik places dark orbs in place of the blue ones, and every time sonic hits a dark orb, it turns blue. the gravity is oriented sideways (similar to the large machine in S&K - Death Egg Zone). There's no specific hit points required, and there's no way to take damage as sonic. However, if the DNA orbs become all dark, Sonic dies. If the orbs become all blue, sonic defeats robotnik. Colors of orbs change depending on character (knuckles, red. Tails, orange
Level 3: Underside Cliffs Zone
- Act 1: Vertically Mirrored level layout from Topside Cliff Zone (although minor adjustments made so the level is playable)
Now, I know you're thinking, "Fuck that... that's an entire level of bottomless pits!" Not so much. a majority of the level will take place alongside the tops and inside the upside-down mountain things. only the VERY bottom of the course is a bottomless pit.
Level 4: Flooding Mines Zone
- Act 1: Similar in function of Waterfall Mines only this level is a race to the top.
Robotnik caps the naturally draining bottom of the mineshaft and the water level constantly rises. You get to the top by a combination of regular springs and platforms and the "Chaos Colliders" (I guess that's what I'm calling those orbs), which are from S3&K's bonus level, and act simialr in function. Once you reach the top, robotnik awaits.
- Boss: Robotnik Excavator
Water level stops rising. Robotnik drills up, causing platforms to fall from the ceiling. So far, I'm debating on other hazards that may fall as well.
Here You can see the machine with some of the drills destroyed and some platforms dropped. The platforms float in the water, but only for one or two seconds and drop down. Each drill has 2 Hit-points, and once all drills are destroyed, Robotnik zooms upward. A warp (like those from S&K - Sky Sanctuary) beams sonic up to Emerald Archive Zone.
Level 5: Emerald Archive
- Act 1
This screen shot is pretty much the whole level. it's also where you warp to when you enter a giant ring (without robotnik's excavator, of course). This "level" is pretty much a cut-scene of robotnik stealing all the emeralds.
Danger Run-Way Zone (working title)
- Act 1: Airport terminal theme
- Act 2: Runway theme. Lots of straighways with enemies to hit, air battle background in-game cutscenes... the game's revving up for it's ending.
Sky Bridge Zone
- 45 degree upward biased level. Sonic generally must fight gravity as he travels up robotnik's skybridge (a death egg zone themed space-elevator structure). there are flat areas. and the level is not completely running upward at 45 degrees. but it is BIASED upwards, that's the general direction sonic will be heading.
Orbital Trash Yard (Final Boss, if all emeralds are collected)
- First few segments have Sonic/tails/knuckles collecting plenty of abundant rings.... This level is set in space, and there's many "broken" badniks and other space trash, falling vertically up or down between platforms. there's also gaps where rings float up or down in place of the space trash. once enough rings are collected (at least 50) the final battle between robotnik and sonic begins. The final boss is very similar to the Doomsday Zone... only in addition to meteors, there's badniks and other space trash (and rings) orbiting as well.
I know it's a long post... comments, suggestions, flammings, reactions?