Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic scans for the Wiki (MD/GG/SMS/32X) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic scans for the Wiki (MD/GG/SMS/32X) (Because someone has to do it if it's not done already :P)

#16 User is offline N!NJA 

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

• Project:Collecting all Cartridge based Sonic games and their regional variations!

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 October 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

I'd also recommend putting it closer towards the centre of the scanner bed rather than the edge - there's a bit cropped off.

You might not be able to fit a double-page spread on the scanner, but you could always do two manuals at once :eng101:/>/>/>

On the case haha, Where any of the other scans good like the covers?

Some of those took 10 odd minutes to run so I'm hoping I don't have to redo all :D

EDIT: Rescans done here, https://webmaster1.c...nned/MegaDrive/ Let me know if this is ok?
This post has been edited by N!NJA: 15 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

#17 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

• Project:Too many of them

View PostAsagoth, on 14 October 2018 - 03:19 AM, said:

The pages split and correctly cropped... and the highest resolution that your scanner can achieve... to upload just hit the button "upload file" which will send you to the upload page... while there you must not forget to categorize the file before uploading ... an example ... as you can see in this manual in the box "comment" there's this code ''{{manual|game=Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball|system=Mega Drive|region=US}}''... you shall add it in the box "summary" that you will see in the upload page... the best way to learn this is doing like others do... let's say you want to upload a Mega CD manual... just look for one already on the wiki hit the edit button (be careful to not edit the page) and copy the code... the name of the file shall always follow this criteria "name of the game/system/region/type of file (if it's a manual or a book, a leaflet, a toy, whatever )... these two tools are also "great companions" for this "job" JPEGtoPDF (for making pdf files) and Vertical Image Splitter (for spliting pages)...

Thank you very much for this, I suppose I'll do it next week. Btw, the other place I've asked about how to add stuff to the wiki was on the kickstarter board game topic, because it will be a lot of photos and scans plus writing the article itself. It got delayed so I won't have it until the next year, but I could start writing some stuff that we already know, or compile pre-release info. Shinobi7 could even be so kind they would let us get the pictures directly from their archives; they already posted a lot of things, and I think only miniatures aren't ready, so, besides photos for those minis, the whole article could already be made. Sorry about the offtopic.

Edit since no one else posted:
Confirmed, my S&K, MBM and S3D manuals are not present on the wiki. I'll scan them as soon as possible.

Also, I've noticed now there's a tutorial and other stuff to help with the wiki; sorry for asking about this so many times, it makes sense why nobody gave me an answer about this. I'll get ready the article for StH: Battle Racers (the Kickstarter board game) as soon as I find the right place to put it, since it's non-standard stuff.

This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 22 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

#18 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

Double posting since I've been out for so long, yet no one posted here in the meantime.

Later than promised, but I've finally scanned the three manuals I promised. However, upon uploading the first of them, which was also the smallest of the three PDFs, the uploader warned me about it being too big (Sonic 3D, 66 Mb). I had scanned it on 600 dpi as requested, so I ignored the warning. later, when checking it out once uploaded, I noticed it looked a bit different (worse) than when I open the local file on my computer.

With this in mind, I'm not sure about how to proceeed: MBM has 79 Mb of file size, while S&K has 98 Mb, mostly because of colour covers. The uploaded one already takes a while to load, and it's smaller just because the covers where grayscale. Also, I'm not sure about the scans really needing a 600 dpi quality except maybe for covers, but I took me some hours of work and I'm not really happy about scanning them again in a smaller size right now, so, what it will be?:

A) Some sysop delete the uploaded file and wait until I have the free time and will to re-scan them in a more adequate size.

B) Go ahead and upload the remaining two files even if they are huge.

That's all, my apologies for always being asking and yelling about wiki editing. This won't discourage me of doing more scans for other manuals in the future, but I have some feeling of wasted time and effort right now, and I mistreated the scanner and the manuals a bit in the process. :flunked:
This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 22 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

#19 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
They're supposed to look worse because they're just thumbnails. The wiki shrinks the original pages down and saves them to jpegs for casual viewing, while the full pdf is still there for anyone who wants to look at it. Nothing has been lost and all your work is still preserved. The pdf should be as high quality as it can be, up to 100MB (the max upload limit). But if you're concerned about uploads taking too long then you can shrink the pages down a bit for future scans. A slightly smaller scan is better than no scan, although we always prefer the best possible scan.

#20 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

Loading the pdf itself also looked a bit worse, and the zooming returns different screen sizes like 100% wiki is 90% local, or something like that. I'll upload the big things then, which are mostly the cover's (covers'?) fault since inner pages were less than 1 Mb each even in PNG format (I scanned them that way before converting to PDF, which turned images to JPG in the process).

I'll make some 300 dpi experiments either way, to compare if it really affects the quality in a way it shouldn't. Having an online 300 dpi and a download-only 600 dpi version could be good too, but it's not my wiki or my storage space, so I'm at your command.

Now that we're at it, let me know if the quality of this scans is good enough to replace older manual scans: once I do my part on the missing ones, I could scan every other manual I own, which aren't that many, but at least they're something.

EDIT: Files are uploaded now. I've seen you've already linked the one I uploaded earlier to the game article, should I do the work myself or expect others to do that instead like with the first one?
EDIT 2: I've seen all of them added to their respective game pages. I didn't want to goof with my previous edit, only know which protocol should I follow. I guess I'll stick to just uploading and reporting until someone tells me otherwise.

This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 23 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

#21 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

• Project:https://sonicworldcollectors.wordpress.com/ cover database
Ok, this seem's be my topic! What's left on plate? Also i can provide all Italian cover and manuals you need for all other consoles. Also you can find Many cover here https://sonicworldco....wordpress.com/

#22 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (16-bit)

[*]Genesis versions need manuals scanning/Covers rescanning. ---> Still need? There is 2 different covers for regular, classic and not for resale! About manual, is the same. If you need i will scan them

[*]Portuguese version needs rescanning, two versions exist one with a colour manual and one in monochrome. ---> still need these too? I don't have the special white and the other mentioned before(can i have a pic sir?)

[*]Taiwain/HongKong versions missing, It looks just like the PAL/EU box/manual minus having a Japanese cart. ---> here the pic from my archive, i don't own it https://i.imgur.com/YXiFXaE.jpg

There is 4 european variants, on the rear of box, in the bottom there is a different "made in" location. Need scans of them? Most common is china, japan, then thailand and then malasya. Here the variants:
thailand
https://imgur.com/Sk5qHwa
Japan
https://imgur.com/A1puZXf
Malaysia
https://imgur.com/M2z97O4

There is also other variants from genesis version and an Hent rental scandinavian, but im not sure if you are interested over them.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)

There is a canadian not for resale version that i got from canada, can be interesting in somehow?

[*]Australian versions missing, atleast two manual types exist. ---> poster version and booklet version. I have the poster version only.
[*]An australian version exists that came in a paint can named the "Mega booster pak" ---> there is also this booster paint can: https://imgur.com/a/vvJXxdQ

[*]Asian version comes with two manuals. ---> 3 manuals, japan, black asian and white chinese. At least all of asian copy of sonic 2 are like this.

[*]Taiwan/HongHong version says Asian version but includes a third manual, off hand I think it was written in chinese. ---> Im sure there is no cinese variants for asian market: Sega with sonic forces got the first distribution in chinese market. So i suppose asian version is the china, taiwan,indian,russian and other asian states that don't own a propery megadrive version. And only for sonic 2 there is 3 manuals, a chinese white, a black one and the japan one.

[*]Canadian versions need scanning. ---> once you confirm i will scan this

[*]ZA version needs scanning? Never knew of this one :P ---> south africa version are all common pal version (Except some games like sonic drift) with just a sticker over it: everyone have no different manual from the original version.

Even for sonic 2, there is different made in for europe, an alternative asian version(pal stuff with japan cart and european sticker), 2 portugal versions and 2 rental Hent with different lines colour.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

[*]All versions minus EU need manuals scanning. ---> still need?

need portugal manual too? Black and white one

[*]Two Asian versions exist, however the only difference is the sticker on the front, one says PAL the other NTSC. There's also two manuals, one's in colour one isn't. --> need the manuals scan?

[*]Asian Cart scan is a bootleg cart. Rescan will be linked on my server. ---> still need this?

There is also a made in japan and assembled in UK version for pal market.

Sonic & Knuckles

[*]All need manuals scanning minus one of the EU versions. ---> if need i do scans

[*]2 EU versions exist, back art is different and manual style. ---> need the scan of variant?

There is a portugal version if need, i can scan the manual too.

Sonic Compilation/Classics

There is a portugal version if need

Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island/Blast

[*]An australian version exists that has a blue cover. (https://i.imgur.com/yg2omGb.jpg) ---> ah i get this pic on my website too XD

[*]All need manuals scanning. ---> Confirm and i will scan

[*]US Cardboard box version is missing. (not sure if this was a mistake in my notes from 2014) ---> i can scan this too, but there is no plastic box version as i know...

i also have the portugal version. If necessary i will do scans

Sonic Spinball

[*]Australian versions manual needs scanning ----> gimme the ok and i start scanning this one too!
[*]Korean Samsung version missing. Looks like the japanese version minus korean text. ---> NANI? https://imgur.com/V3IGiIv

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

[*]All minus Genesis version manuals need scanning. --> again, give me ok and i do scans, even for asian version
[*]French version seems to have the same manual as EU/PAL so not needed? --> I can confirm, manual is the same as pal versions.

No need the Mega 6 vol.3 or wacky world scans? Either the asian mega 10 games?

#23 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
We want most things - if you have better scans (which it looks like you probably do), then yes, upload upload upload :)

#24 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 January 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

We want most things - if you have better scans (which it looks like you probably do), then yes, upload upload upload :)/>

Perfect, i will start now then!

P.s. Where you get the PC Sonic 3D Belgium cover picture? XD Tell me it's one of my picture XD

#25 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

OK, this is just a test for checking the quality of scans, since there is "just" 55 page over robotnick pal manual, i wanted to be sure if my work is going fine. 300 DPI resolution.

Also for cover, need a 600 or 1200 DPI?

download link here

also some cover 3DS italy here, let me know if this quality is good
This post has been edited by Frozen: 16 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

#26 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:03 AM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...

View PostFrozen, on 16 January 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

OK, this is just a test for checking the quality of scans, since there is "just" 55 page over robotnick pal manual, i wanted to be sure if my work is going fine. 300 DPI resolution.

download link here

Hey... I know you... you're "user:FrozenITA" from ZWAME aren't you?... Welcome to Sonic/Sega Retro... you've a great collection of Portuguese stuff man!!!... Amazing!!!... I'm not an expert at this but I think is better to scan those manuals in 600dpi... and yes we need all those Portuguese manuals and the rest too if you don't mind of course...Thanks in advance man!!!

#27 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:15 AM

View PostAsagoth, on 17 January 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

download link here

Hey... I know you... you're "user:FrozenITA" from ZWAME aren't you?... Welcome to Sonic/Sega Retro... you've a great collection of Portuguese stuff man!!!... Amazing!!!... I'm not an expert at this but I think is better to scan those manuals in 600dpi... and yes we need all those Portuguese manuals and the rest too if you don't mind of course...Thanks in advance man!!!

HEY!!! yes im that user! It's nice to see you again! Thanks and now i have almost full portugal megadrive set, missing just the third sonic 1 variant with white manual! So it's better in 600 DPI? I will then! I just meet lot of nice portugal people that helping me with hunting games and picture, i got almost all ps2 games too! The hard thing is find those gamegear box and alt versions, did you saw that tails adventure portugal release? Impossible to find!

#28 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...

View PostFrozen, on 17 January 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

View PostAsagoth, on 17 January 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

download link here

HEY!!! yes im that user! It's nice to see you again! Thanks and now i have almost full portugal megadrive set, missing just the third sonic 1 variant with white manual! So it's better in 600 DPI? I will then! I just meet lot of nice portugal people that helping me with hunting games and picture, i got almost all ps2 games too! The hard thing is find those gamegear box and alt versions, did you saw that tails adventure portugal release? Impossible to find!

Some variants are difficult to find nowadays... Ecofilmes made lots of "crazy" things like selling US Genesis cartridges in Pal boxes or US Game Gear games and Brazilian Master System Games with just the "Garantia Sega Portugal" sticker in them to make them "Portuguese" ... for example... the manuals of Sonic 1 for the Mega Drive, are in fact the Brazilian ones, with text written in PT-BR and a different cover... there's not a single Sonic 1 manual with the text in PT-PT :) ...

#29 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

Yep i saw that, way curious. I saw lot of mortal kombat games like this. Im into and only on sonic stuff and maybe NES games, but as far i know, there is no portugal nintendo nes game right?

#30 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

Scandinavian Hent rental Sonic Spinball 600 DPI, i think it's a bit higher, 300 DPI is enough. I'm a bit busy those days, so i will take it slowly. And also sorry for the spamming, i wanted to reach 20 post faster XD

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users