Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE) This one had some of us going for awhile....

#196 User is offline Sik 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostLanzer, on 07 February 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

So the faker is here huh? Wonder why he isn't defending himself against all these statements. You would think he would try to explain things to ease our minds, unless he just signed up to see our reactions.
Are you assuming he/she even passed approval?

#197 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
He/She made a post already, though. Right? I thought it said "Posts: 1" on the profile.

#198 User is offline Endri 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

• Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. Can I give you something else?
  • Wiki edits:7
There is also the possibility that it could be someone impersonating her/him? When I first spoke about Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1, there were people impersonating me over YouTube and the official SEGA forums, and possibly other places as well.

#199 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Isn't that just the approval post to get into trial member status? can't remember its been along time.

#200 User is offline Zenor 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

• flip the chessboard over

View PostGagaMan, on 07 February 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Yuji posted it on his Twitter
"さんから このソニック1って開発中の多重スクロールをやっているバージョンだね。ヤシの木や岩が手前にあるのがわかるかな?どこからこんなROMが出てきたんだろうね?しかし懐かしいなあ"

google roughly translates what he said to

"I was doing a scroll multiple version of What a Sonic in development from the acid. Try to guess it in front of palm trees and rocks? I wonder does this ROM came out from? But good old days."

If anyone can translate that better please do.

"This version of Sonic 1 is the one which had many scrolls during development. You know the one with the coconut trees and rocks? Where did this ROM come out from? But it sure is nostalgic."

At this point I don't think a proper translation matters much though :v:
This post has been edited by Zenor: 07 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

#201 User is offline Crasher 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

• Why hello there!
I'm curious if I should see if I can recreate the beta better than this guy.

That, and my spriting skills suck SO much, you guys would have seen the difference from a mile away :V

And also, 2 more posts until I've run out of posts. I'm pretty sure that my thread and that video was just a coincidence.

Edit: HOLY SHIT MAN. The beta video was made on the SAME day I posted my thread.

I hope I'm not the reason for this D:
This post has been edited by Crasher: 08 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

#202 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

• Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer
  • Project:Becoming a Twitch partner, and getting my life back together
  • Wiki edits:196

View PostCrasher, on 07 February 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

That, and my spriting skills suck SO much, you guys would have seen the difference from a mile away :V

And also, 2 more posts until I've run out of posts. I'm pretty sure that my thread and that video was just a coincidence.

Edit: HOLY SHIT MAN. The beta video was made on the SAME day I posted my thread.

I hope I'm not the reason for this D:

don't worry too much, I already posted a comparison picture between your sprite, the one from the Beta image, and the one from the video. They are all different from eachoher.

Posted Image

#203 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostCrasher, on 07 February 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

It would be nice to do this, and then show them to Yuji Naka. It would be the perfect chance to explain him that they're not real, but only a recreation of that demo he worked on.

#204 User is offline drx 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

• <Shade> fuck MJ
  • Project::rolleyes:
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostCinossu, on 07 February 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 07 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

The topic title should be changed to "Fooling Yuji Naka", so it's not as misguiding.
Enough with this, please. We do not know for certain, especially with some of the things recently raised in this topic. If you're just going to spam it up then you know what'll happen (om nom nom).

Has anyone from here tried contacting this person on Youtube to find out how this is being played? (Cart, ROM, something else, whatever.) It might be a good opening to establish an actual rapport with the person instead of just being "lol dis b fake", and may open up the way to more "footage", etc.

I sent them a YT message yesterday or so, they never replied.

#205 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostSik, on 07 February 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

So the faker is here huh? Wonder why he isn't defending himself against all these statements. You would think he would try to explain things to ease our minds, unless he just signed up to see our reactions.

I won't be surprised if some random troll just made a acount in the original uploader's name. Somone did that when a (now proven fake) rumor about this guy having a beta of Sonic 4: Episode II was sent to SEGAbits and for a good number of hours pretended he had the beta.

EDIT: Here's the account I mentioned: http://www.youtube.c...ser/FixSonic4E2
This post has been edited by Zinos: 08 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

#206 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Those clouds

http://www.spriters-...th1/sheet/15683

they're from the Special Stage. I knew I'd seen them before.

Posted Image
some have actually been flipped, presumably try and hide this fact
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 08 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

#207 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostEndri, on 07 February 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Uh, not quite, and I will show why:

Indeed, Sonic only overlaps because his collision ray is smaller than his sprite.

I will concede that if you keep pushing in the direction of terrain in the final game, you can clip the edge as you describe. But there are a number of wrong things with this argument: first, you assume that he kept pressing the directional in the video, pushing to towards the ledge; there is no evidence that this is the case. If you deny this assumption, your point crumbles when you increase the size of the collision box as I described. But there is more:

Second, you seem to be under the mistaken impression* that the collision routines used when Sonic is in the air are the same as when he is on the ground; they aren't. In the Hg disassembly, the function 'Sonic_AnglePos' is used while Sonic is on the ground, while the epically misnamed 'Sonic_Floor' function is used while on air. It continues:

Third, you seem to be mistakenly assuming* that two sensor rays would mount an insurmountable programming obstacle; they don't: 'Sonic_AnglePos' uses two sensor rays for collision with terrain, and the sensor rays are dependent on the ground angle (one ray is used for the "front" of the sprite and one for the "back") and easily does what you claim is 'a hell lot of programming to solve it'. Similarly, 'Sonic_Floor' uses two sensor rays for ceilings and floors, but only one for walls. Which goes on to:

Fourth, you are assuming that a prototype would have the same collision routines as the final product; regardless of whether or not this is the real deal, that assumption is wrong: Sonic Team could have very easily used two rays for aerial collision with walls in an early tech demo (seeing as every other collision uses two sensor rays, even in the aerial collision routines) but then changed it (possibly in response to feedback, or after further testing) to be less unforgiving of tiny collisions with terrain. The point is we just don't know enough about the real prototype to rule this out.

* I got these impressions from here:

View PostEndri, on 07 February 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Now, I will give that the effect would be do-able on the Motorola 68000, but two horizontal rays would be required: one at the extreme top and another at the extreme bottom. But then the bottom ray would start to detect collisions with short steps and slopes (something that it shouldn't), and would require a hell lot of programming to solve it, other than simply peeking a byte on the reverse collision array to see if a collision has been detected by that ray or not. Not to mention that the entire collision method would have to be redone in order to accomodate rays that rotates according to the terrain angle, etc.

#208 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24

Exactly. He/she signed up here to see our reactions to his fake. He's probably having a good ol' laugh right now.

This person isn't giving us enough proof that it's the BETA. Now, if I stumbled accross a cartridge of Sonic 1 that I beleived it could be the BETA, I would give as much proof as possible. I would want to shout to the world that I have the Sonic 1 BETA. I'd take lots of pictures of the cartridge, as many videos as possible, answer all your questions, dump it to share to the community, etc etc.

But if I was to fool loads of people that I had a BETA, I would just give little information, post a crap video, then not answer any questions. And that is what this person is doing. If he really had the BETA, it would want to make that as clear as possible. If he wanted to fool people, he give as little as possible. Simple.

View PostSik, on 07 February 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

I can't remember how it works, it's been many years.

View PostZinos, on 08 February 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

I won't be surprised if some random troll just made a acount in the original uploader's name.

That's also a valid point, but then that person really has no life =P

#209 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

• Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール
  • Project:The next audtion
  • Wiki edits:136
General Sonic Discussion is viewable by anyone. Why would s/he create an account to see our reactions when they're already visible?

#210 User is offline LOst 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

• Wiki edits:2
I once thought about making a Sonic 1 Beta hoax myself, I think it was back in 2003. The problem is that after 2004, it was so easy to make a hoax of a Sonic game from a disassembly, just a couple of lazy hours, that it became totally ineffective to fool people. You need to be very stupid to believe this is real, and even more stupid to try to make a hoax of this in the first place.

• 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users