Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 1 prototype Video (FAKE) This one had some of us going for awhile....

#166 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Posted Image
just want to highlight those "buildings" again, among other things

#167 User is offline Uberham 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

• King Of Oblivion

View PostSpeedStarTMQ, on 07 February 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Still awaiting someone to just out and say that it's blatently obvious that it's a fake and that it's a silly joke, moreso so I can say to everyone "I told you so".

View PostUberham, on 06 February 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

so obviously fake it's barely worth anyone speculating.

#168 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

• Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール
  • Project:The next audtion
  • Wiki edits:136

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 07 February 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Posted Image
just want to highlight those "buildings" again, among other things

Green Hill took 6 months to finalize. This could be a different version from the one in scans.

#169 User is offline saxman 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

• Oldbie
  • Wiki edits:136
This has gone on for too long. It's time for the person who did this to come out and admit it's a fake. I know it's a fake. Ignoring all speculative points and simply sticking to hard facts, here's why it's fake:

- Buildings overlapping mountains between 0:53 and 0:55 in the first video... again, this would be difficult to do that on the Genesis. Is it possible? Sure, it is technically possible, but not realistic. It would be a programming nightmare. Sonic 3 does it because the sections that overlap in the background cycle. The same goes for Hill Top in Sonic 2. However in this, those buildings in front of those mountains do not cycle at all. It therefore doesn't make any sense. As for 7 layers of scrolling that Naka claims -- that would make sense if the trees and rocks in the front were objects that scrolled at a different speed. Therefore, it's simply unreasonable to accept this as scrolling done on the Genesis. This person knows nothing about the Genesis VDP.

- Neither location in the two tech demo pictures we have are shown in this demo. Look at them closely. It's not the same. Even without the sign, let's just focus on the first picture -- there's no flat land anywhere in this video. Period.

- The clouds are completely different. Again, look at the pictures we have. Those clouds are nowhere to be found in this demo. The clouds shown in the video are from the special stage. They are not the same.

- The mountain peaks are rounded off. It's not the original artwork. Look at the tech demo pictures, and then look at this video. The creator had to redraw those moutains. They're not authentic.

Prototype pictures link: http://www.gamesrada...ype-is-missing/

This person is laughing at everyone right now. I don't belittle anyone who was fooled. I am only saying this person has had enough fun, and now it's time to face the music and admit he couldn't trick researchers like me, Taxman, and others who know this thing isn't real. Pranks are fine as far as I'm concerned, but now it's getting out of hand -- there's a post about it on TSSZ, there's talk about it on other forums, and the videos have over one thousand views. You've had a laugh. Now stop. Come out and tell us who you are so we can put an end to the wild speculation and wonder.
This post has been edited by saxman: 07 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

#170 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
In fact, if I were him, I wouldn't show up! I mean... people even contacted Naka and other acclaimed devs and tricked them! I'd be realized! If you stop to analyze the videos, not a single art matches (other than the checkboard pattern) but believing into finding that 1990 proto was now closer than ever was what kept people's faith.

#171 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Studio, Kyle & Lucy: WW
  • Wiki edits:111
http://forums.sonicr...?showuser=17068

Looks as though we have a visitor. Hopfully he'll say more about it. Fake or not

#172 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostEndri, on 07 February 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

As I said, there is also collision against the wall. Actually, the correct way to describe it would be pixel-pefect-square-collision-to-collision-mask. You can tell the collision method because the Sonic jumping sprite slides around the edge of the ledge in a perfect square. In an actuall Mega Drive Sonic game, Sonic would start to enter inside the wall/overlapse the wall as soon as no collision were detected by the horizontal "ray."

If you increase the collision size of Sonic enough, you can get collisions exactly like those in the movie: Sonic only overlaps with terrain/objects because his collision box is smaller than his sprite dimensions suggest. For all we know, a prototype could have had a different hit box size that was tweaked later for playability.

Now, I am skeptical that this is real; but this argument is not very good to prove that.

#173 User is offline MKAmeX 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

• Project:Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  • Wiki edits:7
Ok so if all the proof up until now hasn't been enough then I don't see why this would hurt it's fake status. I have burned my eyes out looking at these magazine photos, analyzing them and recreating them, so much so that they are eternally etched into my mind.

Posted Image

Not to mention the clouds are completely different, the only ones we do have to compare it to are missing entirely.
The bushes may be seen as grasping at straws, but you can't deny the mountains are too different yet too similar to be anything but a good attempt at recreation. I am firm in my belief that I am right about the bushes as well.
I'm not making any color comparisons, due to the colors probably being washed out, and the fact that I, being colorblind, have absolutely no right in talking about if a color is correct.

Regardless I enjoy this video because it is a nicely done recreation of what it might've been like had we ever found this proto.

#174 User is offline Afro Thunder 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

• Call Da Doctor!
  • Project:Making Instrumentals

View PostSonica, on 07 February 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

http://forums.sonicr...?showuser=17068

Looks as though we have a visitor. Hopfully he'll say more about it. Fake or not

He does realize he's swimming in a pool full of tech-savvy sharks, right? :v:

#175 User is offline Deathbyteacup 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

• I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.
This "beta" looks very impressive on video, fake or not. Not being technically minded I would personally not be able to spot it's fake immediately, but I do share several concerns with the way these demo videos are being played. Does kinda seem like the guy is trying too hard to stay in one small area, do certain things that normal people wouldn't do unless they where trying too hard to make it look different.

Naka's quote seems a bit ambiguous, although the comment about object placement seems to infer he either doubts or does not entirely believe this to be legitimate. Unless more substantial proof emerges I can't make a decision. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if people are in true possession of something like this but are unwilling to share every detail, then they shouldn't reveal that they have it at all. At the end of the day, the guy IS trolling, fake or not.

#176 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

• Wiki edits:196

View PostDeathbyteacup, on 07 February 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

infer

You mean imply.

#177 User is offline S1impikenz 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

• Project:Sonic 1 layout hack
I have a WAY clearer image to compare the footage to, so I've put together a really good comparison shot with both the Sonic sprites side by side with the correct proportions and everything.

Posted Image

By the way, after comparing the very low quality, halftone dotted to hell scan of the widely known distributed image of this tech demo with the version that I have, I've began to notice that the visibility of mine shows details that I think the Sonic community may have never seen before. What comes to a surprise to me is the fact that, after searching the internet, there was no copy of my detailed version of this image on the Internet! IMO, I think my version should definitely be considered archiving in the wiki section about this tech demo. Just a suggestion.

Posted Image

#178 User is offline Travelsonic 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostRGX, on 07 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Don't you find it odd the video quality is pretty shit with no sound considering its 2012 already? The 90s are long gone... I'm pretty sure he can get a hold of a better camera with sound by now.

IMO completely trivial compared to other points raised.

Look at the videos of people playing arcade games like DDR taken on camera phones - shit quality stuff still exists in mass.

#179 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostS1impikenz, on 07 February 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

I have a WAY clearer image to compare the footage to, so I've put together a really good comparison shot with both the Sonic sprites side by side with the correct proportions and everything.

Posted Image

By the way, after comparing the very low quality, halftone dotted to hell scan of the widely known distributed image of this tech demo with the version that I have, I've began to notice that the visibility of mine shows details that I think the Sonic community may have never seen before. What comes to a surprise to me is the fact that, after searching the internet, there was no copy of my detailed version of this image on the Internet! IMO, I think my version should definitely be considered archiving in the wiki section about this tech demo. Just a suggestion.

Posted Image

Finally we get some good detective work.
This is why I made the topic,

#180 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
I did some PS job on that, if someone could scan that on at least 4800dpi, we could rebuild the original art better :(. That PIC is from EGM #13 IIRC.

Posted Image

• 26 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users