Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: THE MACKENING - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 131 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: THE MACKENING It's fine to trace, kids, Marvel does it

#451 User is offline NeonZephyr 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

The Sonic community is not some big monolithic entity that only has one thought

That's kinda our point (well, one of mine, anyway). This is something that has actually united a surprising amount of the community. The only non-lackey's of his that I've seen say "let him win" always add "so that his terrible shit is removed from the book." I have been lurking around several of the major Sonic communities and some of the smaller ones and even a few non-Sonic comic communities on a rare occasion, and they all are like this. That's not exactly support, Penders. Link me/us to proof otherwise. Show us evidence. Without it, it's *your* argument that sounds hollow.

Hahahaha-what? I'm one of "a few lurking trolls?" I'm a troll because I call you out on your hypocrisy, your bullshit, and that fact that you've basically acted like an ass during this entire brouhaha? Oh, Penders. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. If I was a *real* troll, I'd have joined your forum and spammed it with rule 34, or something. He's calling us trolls for developing our own opinions on the matter and supporting it with actual facts and details that we can show (namely, things he's said and done) and use visual examples to prove his hypocrisy. It's rather childish, actually. Just because we're against something, just because we're the vocal ones, doesn't mean we're wrong. Sometimes, the loudest crowd really is right. Trust me, Penders, if we were trolls, your forum would get a lot more activity. Real trolls actually tend to inspire a lot less people to follow their "thoughts" than you'd think. I certainly wasn't convinced that you're wrong or acting like a childish jerk because someone just went "Penders is an ass" on a forum. *You* and *your actions and words* are what positioned me against you. I don't know why that's so *hard* for you to grasp.

I mean, after all, it "comes with the territory."

Antarctic Deity is right; this is kinda like SOPA. Listen to him, Penders. Somehow, this guy seems to still be on your side and is genuinely looking out for you.

EDIT: Oh, and to add some strength to my words, here's a little image I was recently shown pointing out his "everything I wrote was purely original" hypocrisy:
Posted Image

EDIT DEUCE: Lammy, I love you. That is all.
This post has been edited by NeonZephyr: 15 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

#452 User is offline Tylinos 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Ken Penders said:

Tylinos said:

SOPA is the only thing in recent memory which was like this, and you're really sounding a lot like the few supporters of SOPA did in trying to claim the protests against SOPA were overblown and based on lies.

We're talking apples and oranges here, my friend. People on both sides of that argument had a clear idea of what was at stake and whose ox was being gored. At the moment with regards to my situation, Sonic fans for the most part are very upset that that which they known and loved could soon change radically, and not necessarily for the better as far as they're concerned. Right now, a LOT of details are still unknown to the public, but if the commentary on TSSZ News' recent article about the case is any indication, it's made people step back and realize there is more to my case than they thought.

Sonic fans are quick to say they'll boycott my work, but unlike SOPA, you don't see them discuss protesting Archie's treatment of its creators. TSSZ News has listed but a few individuals who said there were no contracts issued or never signed contracts, including Karl Bollers. Even if you exclude me from the discussion, do you see anyone saying that Archie is in the wrong not paying Karl Bollers or any other creators their share of royalties and advocating boycotting Archie Sonic books until the wrong is corrected?

I believe I could name at least 50 Sonic creators I either know or believe have not signed contracts. I believe the number of freelancers who submitted work to Archie over the years on all of their books exceeds that. Archie Comics is reprinting the work of many of these creators and not paying a dime in reprint royalties. I'm even willing to bet Ian is among these creators not getting paid.

Show me Sonic fandom's support for getting Archie to do the right thing for its creators, as I believe they have far greater power in numbers than even they're aware. Where are Ian's fans protesting Archie's treatment of Ian? (It's not like he's going to advocate this, for obvious reasons.) The SONIC books are the company's best-selling titles. Were fans to demonstrate with a boycott and make it clear to the company they will continue to boycott the product until Archie does the right thing, there might be a happy ending.

However, until the movement is organized enough to succeed, it's doomed to failure precisely because at this time Sonic fandom is so fragmented.

What I'm going through I don't expect to see much support online at this time, and I'm nowhere in the league of Seigel and Shuster or Kirby in terms of recognition. I don't expect much if any coverage on the mainstream comics sites due to the fact that until recently SONIC has usually been regarded as an anomaly within the industry. It's one of the most popular comic series of the last 20 years, yet it didn't originate as a comic series nor do comic shops tend to display it alongside the usual assortment of Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse titles.

Doing the popular thing isn't necessarily the right thing. Look at people protesting in the streets, and look at how they're treated on either side. When you go against the mainstream, there's always going to be flak.

So, Ken finally admitted what he's doing isn't popular, but it's buried in a post of "Where are all the people protesting Archie's treatment of freelancers? They deserve to be protested instead of me."? I'm somehow not surprised.

#453 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostNeonZephyr, on 15 February 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

VS. Image

EDIT DEUCE: Lammy, I love you. That is all.

What's the small text say? I can't read it due to font size.

#454 User is offline NeonZephyr 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Whoa, sorry bout that

Posted Image

It's about Penders ripping off Superman. Again.

#455 User is offline Tylinos 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm currently typing up a rather lengthy post to explain to Ken, in detail, why people don't like him, since he clearly has very little idea of why. Anyone care to help link me some source posts on things he's said that have pissed people off while I write? So far I have the first post that started to get people annoyed with him two years ago.

EDIT: Actually, I've decided to hold off for now and only use that first post, but look up more in the meantime for a later post. I don't like delaying posting this just over something I can add as extra stuff later. I posted the post as-is, and it's already really long.
This post has been edited by Tylinos: 15 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

#456 User is offline Vantoggle 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Sorry Penders, the king is still nothing without his subjects. As notoriously nitpicky as Sonic fans can be, they are still your intended would-be patrons are they not? Your certainly not doing all this for yourself, you keep coming back to have the last say and then complain about how they haven't supported you.

Why do they tend to believe Ben's words over yours? It can't possibly be because he shows respect and gratitude for his fans, acknowledges his own weaknesses or speaks highly of people other than himself. Nope, it must be because he's dead, because they are all sappy morons like that.
There's going against the grain and then there's “everyone is crazy except me.” What makes you think that things will be different in the future? Do you have a contingency plan in case you fail? Bravery is knowing what you're getting into, not blindly charging into a battle while foaming with bludgeon in toe.

Anyways, I think that's enough rubbernecking for me for today.

#457 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63

NeonZephyr said:

*image of ripoffs*

So Penders says that using the Millenium Falcon wasn't his doing, it was the artist's.
I believe this is a Klingon Bird of Prey starship from Star Trek, and Ken Penders was the artist of this page.

#458 User is offline NeonZephyr 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hrm, well, if it hadn't been for Penders's general "Not my fault/problem" attitude, I'd be willing to grant him that one (I didn't put the image together, I was shown it, I just didn't want to hotlink it), but....

Eh, one point out of many isn't the grandest of recoveries, anyway.

Hahaha. Klingon warbird? Penders as the penciller? This is a SHEER ripoff. I'd normally just call it a homage, but his statement on how everything he did was "original" just makes that page so hypocritical.

Speaking of Penders's arrogance:

As reported elsewhere, I've been busy dealing with the lawsuit Archie Comics filed against me, which was expected to go to Court this past January 30, but was delayed for a variety of reasons. While to many it seems a whole not of nothing is going on, trust me when I say my experience during this process is anything but, forcing me to juggle my schedule to keep everything I need to on track, including work on the upcoming LARA-SU CHRONICLES.

After a longer then expected delay, I'm now finally ready to release the first visual of the very first antagonist - some would call him a villain - featured in the original KNUCKLES series which I initially co-wrote and illustrated, none other than the inspiration for the Dark Legion, Dimitri.

Posted Image

While Dimitri is yet another key player seen throughout THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES, his full history as well as the untold history of the Dark Legion itself will be explored in the fourth volume of the series THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES: THE DARK LEGION. This particular story will reveal the opposite POV of events that transpire in THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES: BROTHERHOOD OF THE GUARDIANS, that lead to the Civil War which plays out during the course of the entire storyline.

While new readers will be able to jump onboard without any previous knowledge of the characters or the set-up, the original stories featuring the characters seen throughout THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES will be made available in upcoming reprint collections for their added enjoyment. These reprint collections not only will feature the original stories in chronological order, but as an additional bonus to longtime readers will also restore original material that was cut out due to space limitations during their original publication.

In addition, to the best of my knowledge, unlike the current Archie Comics reprint editions of this material, creative artists - pencilers, inkers, letterers and colorists - who also contributed to these stories will receive royalties from the sales of these editions.

At this time, I'd like to say thanks to those of you expressing your support during this time.

Stay tuned for further details.

Well, it's not a raisin this time, but any improvements to anatomy compared to the last one is completely ruined by God. Damn. Dodge. And. Burn.

It's seriously starting to annoy how he thinks that it's appealing, especially used like this. I've seen very few artists use dodge and burn well, and then sparingly.

Also, I hate the design. More Borg bling? What was wrong with his old design, anyway? It wasn't pretty, but it fit the character and what he'd gone through (Legionization).

Also, Penders is going to be selling reprints guys.

Yeah, good luck with that.

#459 User is offline Vampsonic 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Whoa whoa whoa wait, I haven't been keeping up to date with this much, but..wasn't Penders the one who started the lawsuit? I know he said that Archie filed the lawsuit against him, but I'm pretty sure he was the one who filed it. If I'm right that's just annoying and childish, blaming it on the other.

#460 User is offline Tylinos 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ken Penders said:

Posted Image

Well... It's the best drawn of the four. I'll give it that. But the design is just...stupid.

Ken Penders said:

While new readers will be able to jump onboard without any previous knowledge of the characters or the set-up, the original stories featuring the characters seen throughout THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES will be made available in upcoming reprint collections for their added enjoyment. These reprint collections not only will feature the original stories in chronological order, but as an additional bonus to longtime readers will also restore original material that was cut out due to space limitations during their original publication.

In addition, to the best of my knowledge, unlike the current Archie Comics reprint editions of this material, creative artists - pencilers, inkers, letterers and colorists - who also contributed to these stories will receive royalties from the sales of these editions.

hahahaha

yeah

okay

Ken's finally truly lost it. Until now I thought he had at least some sense left.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not laughing at the royalties part. I'm laughing at the idea that Ken thinks he'll be able to publish these without Sega's say-so. Even if he gets the rights to his characters and such somehow, do you know what he still won't have the rights to? The Master Emerald and Floating/Angel Island. And this time, he can't just say "Oh, it's not Sega's island and emerald." Because it is.
This post has been edited by Tylinos: 20 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

#461 User is offline NeonZephyr 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostVampsonic, on 20 February 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Whoa whoa whoa wait, I haven't been keeping up to date with this much, but..wasn't Penders the one who started the lawsuit? I know he said that Archie filed the lawsuit against him, but I'm pretty sure he was the one who filed it. If I'm right that's just annoying and childish, blaming it on the other.

Penders did file a lawsuit, originally. Archie filed a counter-suit, which is a normal, legal response for a company to make in this situation.

It's still rather childish that he's emphasizing it, instead of just saying that he's "engrossed in a legal battle" or something. (Eh, not pompous enough, but it'll suffice.) He's trying to point out Archie as the bad guy, when they're just a company protecting the material they hired him to produce for them. No company's perfect, but Archie's actions here are perfectly logical, even to those who have little to no legal or business experience.

#462 User is offline Tylinos 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

The Logic of Ken Penders:

Don't ever dare trample on the creators' rights of him or other writers by using their material in either new work or reprints. But Sega? Sure, using their properties (Angel/Floating Island, Master Emerald) in reprints is perfectly fine!

Another moment brought to you by the insanity of Ken Penders.

(Note: Ken Penders is ©, ™, ℠, ® of Ken Penders.)
This post has been edited by Tylinos: 20 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

#463 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Damn, I thought that last pic was a joke made by some other Sonic fan... until I scrolled down and read the text.

#464 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
God I just saw this. As someone said on SSMB Why is he picking up a television signal in his eyes?!

#465 User is offline SteelBrush 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

• 603e
  • Project:Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
It looks like Penders was going to add Metal Sonic style red pupils but then thought better of it.

• 131 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users