Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic R Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 18 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic R Hacking Because somebody should.

#256 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
So what you're saying is, you're going to make a harder AI mod in the future?

I'm not sure when I'll get to making another proper release, but there have been some changes in the code list, including one to disable the menu timeouts. You can grab the latest code list here.

#257 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:13 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Just chiming in to say it's great to see research being done into restoring the DirectDraw lighting effects - I still have my '98 disc of Sonic R, and the DirectDraw mode screenshot is exactly how I remember Radical City looking. Hope you're successful in figuring out a way to implement these effects in the mod loader compatible version of the game, so they can be enjoyed in conjunction with proper widescreen etc.! = )

Out of interest - how comparable is the DirectDraw mode lighting to the overall look of the original Saturn version of the game? Just curious - I'm mostly familiar with the PC version of the game, which I know has a lot of added things like the weather effects, but I'm curious if there's anything which was lost in the transition between Saturn and PC. If there is anything unique to the Saturn version, it'd be interesting to see if modders could restore it, similar to what's been going on recently with SA:DX on PC.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 05 December 2017 - 06:32 AM

#258 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:38 AM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostMcAleeCh, on 05 December 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Just chiming in to say it's great to see research being done into restoring the DirectDraw lighting effects - I still have my '98 disc of Sonic R, and the DirectDraw mode screenshot is exactly how I remember Radical City looking. Hope you're successful in figuring out a way to implement these effects in the mod loader compatible version of the game, so they can be enjoyed in conjunction with proper widescreen etc.! = )

Out of interest - how comparable is the DirectDraw mode lighting to the overall look of the original Saturn version of the game? Just curious - I'm mostly familiar with the PC version of the game, which I know has a lot of added things like the weather effects, but I'm curious if there's anything which was lost in the transition between Saturn and PC. If there is anything unique to the Saturn version, it'd be interesting to see if modders could restore it, similar to what's been going on recently with SA:DX on PC.

https://info.sonicre...onic_R#Versions

#259 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
The sample rate for sound effects is locked at mono 22050hz, huh? Or am I missing something?

I'd like to do a mod that implements sounds from the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, but a lot of those require stereo panning and ideally 44100hz, but upping the sample rate just makes them play at half speed in-game.

#260 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, it creates all the DirectSound buffers with the same settings, disregarding the WAV files' headers. It should be possible to fix it, but unfortunately IDA lacks a DirectSound8 type library, so I can't get a good idea of what it's actually doing.

#261 User is offline RibShark 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 12 December 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Yeah, it creates all the DirectSound buffers with the same settings, disregarding the WAV files' headers. It should be possible to fix it, but unfortunately IDA lacks a DirectSound8 type library, so I can't get a good idea of what it's actually doing.

It's in the "MS Windows DDK" (wnet) type library:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by RibShark: 12 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

#262 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

Sure, why not. Thanks.

• 18 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users