Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 53 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (Project Sonic 2017)

#781 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

Am I the only person who thought that Lost World had a pretty good system, it was just the level design that made it not feel very fun to play? I'm kind of hoping that the third gameplay style ends up being a revisit to Lost World's mechanics.

Hear me out. We were told that we'll be getting three gameplay styles. Sonic Generations has shown that they can do a really good job at the Boost gameplay style, so we're relatively safe there. Classic Sonic is heavily implying that we're going to get some 2-D levels like before. The physics weren't really there last time, but I think that Sonic Team can do a passable job. Remember how Generations ended with Classic Sonic getting the idea for the Homing Attack by having watched Modern Sonic do it, resulting in a sort of stable time loop in that regard? If we can't get Classic-style physics in this new game, I wouldn't mind a Tag-Action-removed setup like Sonic 4: Episode 2. Just tone down the Spin-Dash a bit and maybe let us have the Elemental Shields as in-game collectible power-ups instead of how Generations did it as equipped items.

Lost World parkour could potentially work as the third gameplay style, and be a relatively safe way for Sonic Team to continue tinkering with the idea. Remove the Super Mario Galaxy-esque level design, and give us some more realistic terrain to maneuver around. Justify it with an opening shot that scrolls backwards along the level a short ways towards Sonic, with Sonic having an expression or saying a quip to give the feeling of "Oh shit, there's not enough room for running speed. Now what?". For instance, an area of the opening city where we see the buildings and rubble too close together with no open areas to run.

Just balance the amount that players are given. Don't make it as heavy as the Werehog in Unleashed. If Sonic Team wants to go ham on some crazy level design and really push the limits of what they think they can do with the parkour system, make them optional levels that we unlock as we go. Another idea could be since there's three styles of gameplay, that we only need to pick two of the three per Zone to progress. Imagine if the Missions in Generations were set up so that you could either to 3 Classic and 3 Modern to move on, or you could do all 5 Classic OR all 5 Modern missions, assuming they keep the Mission progression. Something like that could make it so that if a certain aspect of the game falls flat, it can be ignored by the player and the game is still enjoyable.

- - - - -

Off-Topic, but now that I'm thinking about it, just like how the Unleashed Day Stages were ported to Generations, I wonder how well the Night stages would port to Lost World. I should look into that.

#782 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

• Meme War I Veteran
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94
The problem with Lost World isn't necessarily the slow as fuck pace, or the terrible control scheme, so much as how little freedom of movement you're given in 'Parkour'. It's simply not fun when you're not really able to chain wallruns, or hop to another wall dynamically, or grab a ledge that you'd be able to access otherwise, because your trajectory is essentially set in stone. It's almost as if they made the gameplay style for a different game first.

On the ground, you're not given any sense of momentum. Let go of the control stick in the two main movement modes, running, or jumping, and you stop dead. That's not okay for a Sonic game. Ever. Trying to speedrun SLW is a boring fucking nightmare. The spindash is not fast, and you're given no control over your speed. Your range of allowed pace is within the parameters of brisk walk, to slow jog. It's not fun.
This post has been edited by Lobotomy: 23 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

#783 User is online Blue Blood 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostLobotomy, on 23 March 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

The problem with Lost World isn't necessarily the slow as fuck pace, or the terrible control scheme, so much as how little freedom of movement you're given in 'Parkour'. It's simply not fun when you're not really able to chain wallruns, or hop to another wall dynamically, or grab a ledge that you'd be able to access otherwise, because your trajectory is essentially set in stone. It's almost as if they made the gameplay style for a different game first.

On the ground, you're not given any sense of momentum. Let go of the control stick in any mode, be it running, or jumping, and you stop dead. That's not okay for a Sonic game. Ever.

That's because Lost World was a poorly made Mario game that was masquerading as a Sonic game.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 23 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

#784 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:19 AM

It didn't help that Lost World's level design either never accentuated the few unique qualities the game had, such as giving you easy Wisp outs for sections that would otherwise require the Parkour (and often it's only for a Red Ring with a reward that isn't worth SLW's hell in getting them all) and being filled with generic platforming and straightaways, or were based entirely around gimmicks that usually weren't very fun. It says something that some of the most exhilarating levels of SLW were rail grinding levels that ultimately weren't even all that great compared to Donkey Kong Country's minecart stages.
But I digress; Sonic Team know how to make Boost levels well, even if Unleashed was absolutely brutal with its difficulty at times for the Daytime stages. If anything, I'm more worried about the third playstyle since I feel they have probably refined Classic Sonic. And i'll fully admit I preferred Modern Sonic's stages over Classic Sonic's in Generations in that regard.

#785 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

• Meme War I Veteran
  • Project:Project: Matter/Energy
  • Wiki edits:94

View PostBlue Blood, on 23 March 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

That's because Lost World was a poorly made Mario game that was masquerading as a Sonic game.

I was trying to be subtle about it, but yeah, exactly. The aesthetic is the only 'Sonic' thing about the game at all. The most off-putting thing I didn't mention previously though is the fact that there's no power band, no acceleration, you are either walking, or running, with nothing in between. Very un-fluid.
This post has been edited by Lobotomy: Yesterday, 09:06 PM

• 53 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users