Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Studio Fan Project - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Studio Fan Project A work in progress

#1 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Studio, Kyle & Lucy: WW
  • Wiki edits:111
Posted Image

Sonic Studio is basically a level editor fan-game. Something that I have made attempts at for 8+ years now.

Timeline:
It started with 'Sonic Maker' in 2010, inspired by PlaySega. It used a Damizean GM8 'runner', but with and editor made in VB.
Spoiler

Since then I had made a few attempts which didn't see daylight, all using some kind of external engine.

Mania gave me the drive to make a new Sonic engine. I made it using polygons ...and that required a level editor.
All the way up to recently when I posted a 'Tech example' of a level editor for it (actually just boasting about my GM Sonic engine) for a new one and it gained enough popularity to keep me going with it. Vid

Here's the most recent video:

The challenge of making a 'slopey' Sonic level editor (which is primarily fun) has been on my mind since the first attempt.
- Tiles: I had tried. The answer was not tiles, they are cumbersome to edit and limit shape customisation, something the average user will want when making a level.
- Basic shapes: Shape masks that you can move around and scale like triangles and small squares could allow customisation, but are tedious and you cant auto tile them.
- Polygons: Completely customisable Polygons were my choice, they answer many questions and only pose a few. Definitely the hardest option though.

Honestly one reason I even began making a new version of this idea is actually because a 'Sonic Maker' is a kinda flawed concept. Because slopes. It's either to rigid and limited, or too customisable and unstable. However I wanted a challenge, and finish what I started nearly 10 years ago. That and... I have a nice Sonic engine and want to use it.

Other info:
  • Sonic Studio is made in GMS 2, and is developed by me (although there may be other credits for other parts when released).
  • It's built to be as accurate as needed for an enjoyable experience. So, pretty darn accurate, as far as the physics guide can take me and beyond.
  • The engine uses vectors and line intersections to perform its collision checks, these collision lines are loaded when near the player while playing. Any shape is possible. This essentially makes every level 100% customisable. Nothing to stop the player constructing a level that will break the engine - but I don't care! Go nuts I suppose.
  • You can decide how each line of the edge of a polygon will look (eg: grass, border, edge, nothing, etc), or keep it default automatic.
  • The art is all by me, going for a Mania/Tyson style. Though there's some place holder stuff you'll see, and everything is subject to change at this point.
  • I'm currently just adding features and art. Lots of features and art.

It's not a hacking tool or a 'fangame creator', rather just a level creator similar to Mario Maker. The focus is primarily on level design. :v:/>

No current release date.

Twitter - @SonicStudioProj
This post has been edited by Lapper: 19 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

#2 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Glad you could finally make a topic for this epic editor! I'd like to say Keep up the good work !

#3 User is offline 360 

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Yeah fucking awesome to see a dedicated thread for this pop up! Happy you made one! It's a fantastic project with immense skill and talent behind it and evidently so much love - and everything about it from the technology to the revamped art to even the logo - hell, even your videos promoting it - it's all top-notch. This is one of the coolest things to come out of this community and I look forward to seeing more.

#4 User is offline Saad 

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

• Project:Finding anything Sonic related in Arabic
Now that is something awesome, and that art is amazing! I hope to see more in the future. Keep up the good work!!
This post has been edited by Saad: 19 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

#5 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

Cheers! Hope it ends up as good as promised :v:

Posted Image
Some polygon edit controls.

In addition to this you can of course edit the polygon's shape how you please, add and remove nodes, toggle and edit a line's curve, and edit the surface visual of each individual line if needed (e.g. grass or a border).

#6 User is offline 360 

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Looking awesome dude! Keep up the excellent work! On a semi-related note, I just eyed your amazing work on updating Labyrinth Zone in the Pixel Art thread (so presumably for Sonic Studio?) - looks fucking great, and continues your streak with working on and dramatically improving previous classic zones - so would love to see a WIP screenshot of that zone in action. Just a thought!

#7 User is offline Retroman 

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:59 AM

• XD
If SEGA saw your work, I hope you make good money off this! This would be an excellent competitor to Mario Maker.

#8 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:11 AM

Sega wont fund a GMS2 game ;)/>/> regardless I can't see them ever picking up a pre-exisiting fangame anyway. Mania was a very special case.

Updated logo:
Posted Image
I've seen a few times people asking if it will be free etc, as if it's not a fan game.
Spoiler

Edit:
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Lapper: 24 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

#9 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image
You can predict where a spring will send you. With this I'm probably begging for auto-levels, but I like it.

This is an estimate, your speeds upon hitting the spring play a part also (however, mostly in the axis that the spring isn't facing...).

#10 User is offline /dev/sr0 

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

• Project:Null
I like all of this

#11 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
You could join the dark side and add support for fully scripted springs. Thank you for not.

#12 User is offline fmtransmits 

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

I'd be interested to hear about how you did the node based editing in this.

If it hasn't already been asked lol.

#13 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

fmtransmits said:

I assume you mean doing that in GM? I can't begin to explain in a post - it's a combo of a lot of things, but nothing overly complex.

Covarr said:

You could join the dark side and add support for fully scripted springs. Thank you for not.

Just shuddered a little at the thought of that. And you're welcome.

#14 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Man this is so good!! Your 2D style is so on point. Well done, really looking forward to trying this out!!

#15 User is offline fmtransmits 

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostLapper, on 08 June 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

fmtransmits said:

I assume you mean doing that in GM? I can't begin to explain in a post - it's a combo of a lot of things, but nothing overly complex.

Covarr said:

Just shuddered a little at the thought of that. And you're welcome.

I'd assume it is very complex. Really neat project though lol.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users