Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Fighters Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Fighters Hacking

#76 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostRyogaMasaki, on 29 November 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

Hah, of course someone beat me to it. I was doing a disassembly VF2, which Fighting Vipers and of course Sonic FIghters is based on, and came across the debug myself. It's activated quite easily: set bit 3 of the dword value at 0x508000. This works in all three games I mentioned. I'm actually in the middle of doing a writeup on the menu as it appears in all three games.

https://twitter.com/...296744570507264

Edit: As I explained in that twitter thread, my goal isn't to belittle anyone's work. I'm just amused (and slightly jealous!) that people beat me to finding it first. :)/>/>

As I said before:

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 02 April 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

We have definately found a way to get debug mode working, but I am not sure all flags are being properly set.

At least now I have with 100% certainty that we are now going to be setting the flag correctly. I want to write a new method to activate and deactivate debug based on this new information. I guess a script will follow shortly.

I just checked all the old, archive.org CulT threads too and can't believe you never posted in any of them Ryoga.

It all seems so obvious now, but I was way too late to publish any of it.

#77 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
The easiest way I found to toggle debug mode with this new information is as follows:

function Frame()
	local debugAdd = RAMBASE+0x8000
	local gameDebug = I960_ReadDWord(debugAdd)
	local q_button = Input_IsKeyPressed(0x10)

if q_button == 1
		then
			I960_WriteDWord(debugAdd,XOR(gameDebug,0x24))
	end
end

This "Frame" function can be used in StF, Virtua Fighter 2, and Fighting Vipers in ElSemi's emulator. Be sure to save each script as the "rom.lua" ex "sfight.lua", or maybe you can put it in "common.lua" if you want, I'm not entirely sure.

Have fun!

EDIT: To explain it's use, as it has changed slightly since the last release, the 'Q' key is now the debug toggle. The reason I have assigned this toggle to a key instead of adding it as a cheat menu option is that there is an issue with how the emulator handles cheat toggling through the menu. Half the time, the first toggle will not work, and you need to have multiple cheats in order for other cheats to work. They also do not update dynamically, so if you exit the debug menu in-game, the emulator will not be able to tell the difference and can not dynamically change the toggle from 'On" to 'Off'.
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 04 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users