Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Saturn Randomly Wiped My Console Saves - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Saturn Randomly Wiped My Console Saves Which isn't a huge deal to be honest, but it's still a slight

#1 User is offline Catley 

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

So I was playing Sonic R earlier tonight, I'd say for at least a good hour or two. The moment I passed the finish line on Radiant Emerald; my Saturn randomly cut the video feed. I restarted the Saturn (I have an Action Replay 4M+ to play imports such as Sonic R), start up the game again, and it greets me with some RAM issue in Japanese. My next plan of action was to check the Saturn's system memory, which was ultimately wiped. So I popped the battery out, booted Sonic R without it, got the same message. So I waited a few minutes (had everything unplugged, probably wouldn't matter anyway), Threw the battery back in, launched the game via AR4M+, and it worked. Before you say anything about replacing the backup battery; I just replaced it about two weeks ago. Voltage and number matches up. It seems to still be fully functional even after troubleshooting.

The few reasons I can think of this happening could be:
  • I had AR codes on, I dunno why it would immediately kill the video feed. (Stupid shit like 999 rings and 5 Sonic coins because I cba to unlock everything a second time) :v:/>
  • My Saturn was feeling a bit warm, but most consoles give off some sort of warmth after an exponential amount of time.
  • Something had moved, yet, my Saturn is stationary at all times.
  • Battery is likely defective(?)

Thankfully, I backed up the majority of my saves just the other night.

Help is greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

• Wiki edits:11
I don't see any possible reason for using cheats in Sonic R unless your bored as Hell and trying to break the game. Sonic R takes about 30 minutes to beat and unlock everything, now if it was Sonic Adventure 2, you have to call the SWAT team in if I lost that save (super frustrating and takes weeks to months to do with a reward that isn't worth it).

#3 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
You forget that Sonic R controls terribly and unlocking everything can be a chore to people that don't master the slipppery controls and massive maps.

#4 User is offline Catley 

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think I might know why my Saturn randomly crashed. In Radiant Emerald, are are no Sonic coins. Collecting five of them in any level grants you to race with an unlockable character. Seeing as Radiant Emerald has absolutely nothing in terms of collectibles, the game has no idea what to do and crashes.

#5 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

• Wiki edits:2
The game crashed while writing to the memory and corrupted the filesystem, forcing you to format it.

Sonic R is indeed easy, just unlock all the emeralds and then go for the coins with supersonic. Since he can complete any course a minute faster than the rest of the cast, you'll have an easy time.

View PostMathUser, on 18 July 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

You forget that Sonic R controls terribly and unlocking everything can be a chore to people that don't master the slipppery controls and massive maps.

Oddly I never had control problems with Sonic R. Just use both turning and the corresponding side break (L and R shift for left and right breaks) together; it allows you to turn around way faster.
This post has been edited by Meat Miracle: 24 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

#6 User is offline Eric Wright 

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

• Born into this.
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostCatley, on 18 July 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

I have an Action Replay 4M+ to play imports such as Sonic R
Help is greatly appreciated.

Mod your system manually to play imports.
Play imports without using potentially flaky third-party peripherals.
Profit.

#7 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

• Project:Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
Also remember to always copy your saves from your system to a memory cartridge so it doesn't happen again. And don't save directly to your specific memory cartridge that is used for backup save copies. That way you don't risk getting it corrupted if a scratch on a disc causes a game to crash while the data is writing. It happened to me once in Sonic Jam and I was furious about having to format my memory cartridge. Shouldn't have been saving directly to it.

#8 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:24 AM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
I don't think the AR+ 4M carts allow you to save directly to them (if this is the one he has), so it's not really an option, but you have to manually copy your files into the cart while on the Action Replay menu. If you're like me and have a Saturn that wipes itself every time it turns off (read: too lazy to stick a new CR2032 in there), that means resetting your console when you're done playing and doing the back up. You can just flash the saves back onto the system RAM on next boot up.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users