Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Aladdin protoype released - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Aladdin protoype released

#1 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Just released a prototype I think people here will enjoy. It's a mid-way proto of Aladdin for Genesis.

Download on this page

It's not 100% that this is from CES. They possibly just were lazy to remove that text while continuing development after the fact.

If anyone finds anything interesting, let us know!
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 05 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

#2 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4
Ahhhh you're awesome for releasing this!! Thanks so much!!

#3 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Where is the download at? I would like to give it a go on that Aladdin prototype
This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 05 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

#4 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Sorry, looks like the link rendered wrong, check the main post again. Download's at the top of the Hidden Palace page for it.

#5 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist

View PostShoemanbundy, on 05 September 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Sorry, looks like the link rendered wrong, check the main post again. Download's at the top of the Hidden Palace page for it.

Thank you so much for fixing that. I really appreciated man. NOW TO PLAY THE PROTOTYPE!

#6 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Wow, there's so many things that were changed after this build! Thanks for releasing it! :thumbsup:/>

Off the top of my head, here's some differences:

-There seem to be some leftovers from before Disney started handling them the scanned drawings. The lives counter, the sword spitting man, the Genie tokens, the checkpoints and the Genie ventriloquist doll have a similar style to Global Gladiators and The Jungle Book.
-I think I remember that unused music from fiddling with the Amiga music files, it's certainly familiar. -> It's from The Jungle Book
-Most levels just have a different layout.
-Two different kinds of diamonds, big ones give you 3 diamonds. Also, the diamond icon in the hud looks like none of them.
-The kill-all-enemies black lamp does a brief animation before exploding.
-The Royal guards are a Royal pain in the ass.
-Iago is a completely different enemy he sits there until you get close and then he gives chase! He only shows his usual death animation if you hit him with an apple.
-The first two bosses are swapped around.
-The Captain boss is on top of a set of steps and there's nothing filling the gap where his legs should be.
-The thief boss doesn't have his own arena, you battle him in the last stretch of the level.
-The prison level is really too crowded. Sometimes less is more.
-The ghost enemies were later rescanned and redrawn. They're pink and non-translucent here, and a bit smaller.
-The old skeleton enemies looked way too creepy. It was a good thing they made them actually funny in the final version.
-The prisoner enemies aren't too great, I can see why they were removed.
-There's one optional statue in the Cave of Wonders, and they can only be destroyed using 11 apples.
-Cave of Wonders boss has 4 teleporters and never flies from one to another.
-No goddess statue enemies in Cave of Wonders.
-The Escape from the cave level has some really rough graphics that become even rougher as you advance through it. If somebody was wondering what was being worked on in the level graphics department when this thing was compiled, it was this.
-Second bonus level still doesn't have enemies or items.
-The Inside the lamp level is a completely different, really annoying thing. I'm so glad it was changed, although they could have kept that cool Goofy hat.
-The Sultan's Palace actually shows the entry to Jafar's Headquarters at the end of the level.
-Spitting fishes and jug-throwing arms had just been scanned and imported.
-Iago boss just keeps running and randomly plays the hit animation for a random time. Can't be hit.
-Jafar shows both forms side to side. They just stand and play their animations but can be killed.

I must say, they really did improve everything for the final version and made some good decisions in regards to removing or completely changing stuff that other teams would have considered "good enough", to make a superior game. Having this build as reference along with the final version may be useful for learning a thing or two on video game design.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 06 September 2016 - 01:09 AM

#7 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist

View PostICEknight, on 05 September 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

Wow, there's so many things that were changed after this build! Thanks for releasing it! :thumbsup:/>

Off the top of my head, here's some differences:

-There seem to be some leftovers from before Disney started handling them the scanned drawings. The lives counter, the sword spitting man, the Genie tokens, the checkpoints and the Genie ventriloquist doll have a similar style to Global Gladiators and The Jungle Book.
-I think I remember that unused music from fiddling with the Amiga music files, it's certainly familiar.
-Most levels just have a different layout.
-Two different kinds of diamonds, big ones give you 3 diamonds. Also, the diamond icon in the hud looks like none of them.
-The kill-all-enemies black lamp does a brief animation before exploding.
-The Royal guards are a Royal pain in the ass.
-Iago is a completely different enemy he sits there until you get close and then he gives chase! He only shows his usual death animation if you hit him with an apple.
-The first two bosses are swapped around.
-The Captain boss is on top of a set of steps and there's nothing filling the gap where his legs should be.
-The thief boss doesn't have his own arena, you battle him in the last stretch of the level.
-The prison level is really too crowded. Sometimes less is more.
-The ghost enemies were later rescanned and redrawn. They're pink and non-translucent here, and a bit smaller.
-The old skeleton enemies looked way too creepy. It was a good thing they made them actually funny in the final version.
-The prisoner enemies aren't too great, I can see why they were removed.
-There's one optional statue in the Cave of Wonders, and they can only be destroyed using 11 apples.
-Cave of Wonders boss has 4 teleporters and never flies from one to another.
-No goddess statue enemies in Cave of Wonders.
-The Escape from the cave level has some really rough graphics that become even rougher as you advance through it. If somebody was wondering what was being worked on in the level graphics department when this thing was compiled, it was this.
-Second bonus level still doesn't have enemies or items.
-The Inside the lamp level is a completely different, really annoying thing. I'm so glad it was changed, although they could have kept that cool Goofy hat.
-The Sultan's Palace actually shows the entry to Jafar's Headquarters at the end of the level.
-Spitting fishes and jug-throwing arms had just been scanned and imported.
-Iago boss just keeps running and randomly plays the hit animation for a random time. Can't be hit.
-Jafar shows both forms side to side. They just stand and play their animations but can be killed.

I must say, they really did improve everything for the final version and made some good decisions in regards to removing or completely changing stuff that other teams would have considered "good enough", to make a superior game. Having this build as reference along with the final version may be useful for learning a thing or two on video game design.

Damn you beat me to it Wow, look at that list. Nice job man.

#8 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10
"Arabic He-Haw" is totally "Jungle Jazz" from The Jungle Book. Would explain why it's in the NES port, anyway...

#9 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:36 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Neat. I hope you add more screenshots, should show the skeleton enemies too.

#10 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:08 AM

View PostShadow Hog, on 05 September 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

"Arabic He-Haw" is totally "Jungle Jazz" from The Jungle Book.

Ah, so that was it! I was sure I had already heard that one, somewhere.

#11 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

Really cool to see some of the sketched animations before they were converted to pixel art. Also man this version is even cheaper than the original, glad they re-balanced the final game. Definitely one of more interesting mega drive prototypes in quite some time.

#12 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

By the way, it seems like they had implemented speech for the Genie's "Made you look!" sentence after the Game Over screen but had removed the sample by this build and replaced it with a silent word balloon by the final version.

Probably something to do with Robin Williams' contract with Disney.

#13 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
This is not from Summer CES 1993. It's a newer build, would you believe:

http://segaretro.org...0UK.pdf&page=24
http://segaretro.org...994.pdf&page=20

Back in the days when Genie was the life bar too.

And that makes sense, really. Aside from the fact this is dated the 27th June (when SCES was between the 3rd and 6th), it's not really in a demonstratable state - it's pointlessly hard, the graphics are half baked, and you can access the level select with the start button.

From what little I have in front of me, it looks like the "real" Summer CES 1993 build probably just had Aladdin jumping around in a few empty stages - nothing playable.

#14 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
I didn't even know the Jungle Book was ON the Mega Drive. Must look into that...

Fantastic job to all involved! This game is a personal favourite of mine so I look forward to giving this a play through and checking out the differences.

#15 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
And now

https://www.youtube....gQzkVLq0&t=6m4s

some prototype footage from Summer CES 1993. Let it sink in.

Spoilers: all trade shows are under-documented. Here's that SegaSonic Arcade prototype we've had for ages:
https://www.youtube....Ip3wknY&t=2m31s
(I've started with really early Daytona USA footage because that's more interesting. See also: Sonic Spinball.)

Update your records. And ours.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users