Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: ROM Properties Page shell extension - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

ROM Properties Page shell extension v1.1 now available!

#46 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 26 June 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

I am going to combo break you Gerbil to compliment you on this wonderful and useful software you have developed. I remember using your hacking tool suite a lot in the day and it amazed me then and I have had this installed for about 2 weeks now and have to say I am easily identifying what some roms are in very, very old folders and am organizing them from there.

I doubt feature requests exist but I manipulate the Nebula Model 2 roms frequently and would love to see support for them.

He actually does take requests sometimes, you might want to post it as an issue on GitHub to make it more formalized. Details of the format would probably also be helpful.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 26 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

#47 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:22 PM

• Model2B Junkie
  • Project:Sonic the Fighters ... Always

View PostMainMemory, on 26 June 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

He actually does take requests sometimes, you might want to post it as an issue on GitHub to make it more formalized. Details of the format would probably also be helpful.

It'd be fun in theory, but I can't really follow up on anything like that so posting there would be kinda useless.

#48 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 26 June 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

I doubt feature requests exist but I manipulate the Nebula Model 2 roms frequently and would love to see support for them.

Pre-2000s arcade titles are a bit problematic, since they usually don't have any sort of meta info that would be useful for rom-properties. The file formats are also a pain; MAME occasionally changes the filenames, and they usually have split odd/even ROM chips.

Disc-based arcade titles might be doable, though. Triforce titles should be handled as if they're GameCube right now, and NAOMI titles might be doable later when I add support for Dreamcast disc headers.

#49 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

• RickRotate'd.
v1.1 is up; see the first post for changes.

EDIT: Lines of code statistics provided by sloccount:
SLOC    Directory       SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
24587   libromdata      cpp=24587
17636   librpbase       cpp=17052,ansic=584
7187    win32           cpp=7064,ansic=123
3301    libwin32common  cpp=2752,ansic=549
3189    kde             cpp=3189
2527    gtk             cpp=2415,ansic=78,xml=34
1230    rpcli           cpp=1230
660     libcachemgr     cpp=660
540     svrplus         cpp=540
395     rp-stub         ansic=395
255     top_dir         ansic=255

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
cpp:          59489 (96.72%)
ansic:         1984 (3.23%)
xml:             34 (0.06%)

The librpbase directory includes a modified copy of pngcheck, which is 7,279 lines of code. The XML file in gtk/xfce/ is 34 lines, and is a copy of the FreeDesktop.org Specialized Thumbnailer specification. Everything else was written by either me or other rom-properties contributors.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 05 July 2017 - 09:47 AM
Reason for edit: +Specialized Thumbnailer

#50 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

• RickRotate'd.
v1.2 will be the "Dreamcast" release. Notable features planned for v1.2:
  • Sega PVR/GVR/PVRX thumbnailing.
  • Sega Dreamcast property page and thumbnailing for games that have a preview image, which is normally displayed in the CD player.
  • Sega Saturn property page, since its disc header is similar to Dreamcast.
  • General ISO-9660 property tab for Saturn, Dreamcast, and Sega CD.

On another note: Over the past few months, I've had certain people on this site and others bash me for using C++, claiming it's "obsolete" and only "unstable Linux software" uses it. Therefore, I offer a challenge: Write a program that handles at least one property page and/or thumbnailing function in one of the following languages that you seem to think is so great:
  • Game Maker (any version)
  • Multimedia Fusion (or Clickteam Fusion)

Limitations:
  • You may not use third-party extensions written in C++ (because that defeats the purpose).
  • You may use system libraries, e.g. SHELL32.DLL and GDI32.DLL.
  • The extension must integrate into Windows Explorer to provide system thumbnailing and/or a property page in the standard file properties dialog.
  • You must release both the binaries and the source code of your resulting program.

The winner may receive a prize, but that is to be determined, assuming it happens at all.

EDIT: Changed Game Maker from "Studio" to "any version" because apparently GMS restricts access to files outside of the program's directory.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 10 July 2017 - 06:30 PM
Reason for edit: +GMS shenanigans

#51 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostGerbilSoft, on 05 July 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

On another note: Over the past few months, I've had certain people on this site and others bash me for using C++, claiming it's "obsolete" and only "unstable Linux software" uses it.

This might be the single most ridiculous thing I've read so far this year.

Really glad 1.1 is out. I dunno why I haven't installed this extension yet, but it seems like now is as good a time as ever.

#52 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

• RickRotate'd.

View PostCovarr, on 05 July 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Really glad 1.1 is out. I dunno why I haven't installed this extension yet, but it seems like now is as good a time as ever.

Feel free to report any bugs and/or feature suggestions on the GitHub issue tracker.

#53 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

• RickRotate'd.
And now, time for a file format that isn't exactly a ROM image, but is very common with hacking Sega titles on Dreamcast and newer systems:

Posted Image
Currently only supports GVR textures with RGB5A3 or DXT1 encoding. (The above textures are from SA2 PC.) I plan on adding the rest of the GVR and all of the PVR encodings as well.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 15 July 2017 - 11:09 PM
Reason for edit: -newline

#54 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

• RickRotate'd.
Some more stuff in progress:
  • Dreamcast PVR is now supported. All encodings except 4-bit, 8-bit, and small VQ can be decoded. I'm not sure if the 4-bit and 8-bit ones can be supported because those usually require an external palette. Also, the 8-bit textures I have don't seem to be right. (32x32 = 1024 bytes, but the file is 560 bytes.)
  • Preliminary support for DirectDraw Surfaces (*.dds) with DXT1, DXT2, DXT3, DXT4, and DXT5 encodings. There's also a compile-time option to disable S3TC and use S2TC instead for patent reasons. (The relevant patent expires in October.) DXT2 and DXT4 haven't been fully tested yet.
  • Need to add support for uncompressed RGB and ARGB DirectDraw surfaces, then PVRX (which is basically DDS with a PVR header; used by Sega's Xbox games).

This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 21 July 2017 - 10:11 AM
Reason for edit: s/RGBA/ARGB/

#55 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

• RickRotate'd.
And now, building on the PVR decoder:

Posted Image

Thumbnailing for Dreamcast track03.bin files! This loads the 0GDTEX.PVR file from the disc image and decodes it.

Current limitations:
  • Only supports standalone track03.bin files. (or track03.iso)
  • Some games (ChuChu Rocket!) have two data tracks: track03.bin, a bunch of audio tracks, then track19.bin. 0GDTEX.PVR is listed in track03.bin's directory, but it's actually located in track19.bin. This isn't supported at the moment. I may add .GDI/.CUE support later, though IThumbnailProvider on Windows doesn't provide absolute paths, which makes this harder.

EDIT: Another new thing for the next version:

Posted Image

Nintendo Badge Arcade parsing. Currently supports PRBS and CABS files, as well as Mega Badges. (Tested with a 1x2 badge; other sizes should work as well, but aren't tested yet.)

I'll probably release v1.2 once I add a few more disc image formats to the Dreamcast parser.
This post has been edited by GerbilSoft: 31 July 2017 - 02:09 AM
Reason for edit: +badges

#56 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:51 AM

• RickRotate'd.
Due to some issues, I had to reset my GitHub repository. All of the code is still there, though I need to reupload the releases.

If you were previously watching the repo or had it starred, you'll need to rewatch/restar it.

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users