Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA says Sonic is the "right fit" for the Wii U. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

SEGA says Sonic is the "right fit" for the Wii U. What do you think?

#16 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46
Eh. We already contemplated that. Current data says most likely no.

#17 User is offline OKei 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

• OKeijiDragon
  • Project:YouTube
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostSpeedStarTMQ, on 18 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Good to see they haven't totally forgotton Nintendo then. After not getting Sonic Generations (console version), Sonic CD or Sonic 4 Epsiode II, as well as having the Sonic games taken off the VC store, I think they're gonna need to owe us Nintendo gamers.

Um, Mario & Sonic?

#18 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:Zero Mortals
  • Wiki edits:21
This is practically non-news. A Sonic game will be on a new console? With better graphics, even? What an unexpected miracle! :rolleyes:

View PostDr. Felix, on 18 March 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I've been wondering, since there's gonna be more emphasis on 3D, could this mean...

A RETURN TO THE ADVENTURE FORMULA?

More emphasis on 3D? How do you figure? Just because a game is going to be on marginally more powerful hardware? The gameplay of Unleashed/Colors/Generations stemmed not from hardware limitations but from a specific design choice. Also, while it will be more powerful, it's not like the WiiU is going to represent a quantum leap over the current HD consoles.

Also, the supposed "Adventure formula" is shit. Sorry.
This post has been edited by corneliab: 18 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

#19 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Well I can almost guarantee the hedgehog engine shall be ported over. Similar hardware = similar graphic engine. Only they'll take time to refine it more.

As for the adventure formula, it'd be great if the Adventure games didn't have the worlds most boring level design (How bout them straight line zones)

#20 User is offline trakker 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

• The guy that's been warned!
  • Project:http://comicfury.com/comicprofile.php?url=Lunate-Epsilon
The first "right fit" game will probably be Generations with a couple of extra bits, some extra scenes and mabye a level so the story feel a bit more fluid, Its the easyest way to make some launch day money. It worked with SA2B on the Gamecube, that was in the top 10 saleswise I think, so I don't see why they can't do it again.
This post has been edited by trakker: 18 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

#21 User is offline Dr. Felix 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

• Project:Project 15: A Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) Remake

View PostDark Sonic, on 18 March 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well I can almost guarantee the hedgehog engine shall be ported over. Similar hardware = similar graphic engine. Only they'll take time to refine it more.

As for the adventure formula, it'd be great if the Adventure games didn't have the worlds most boring level design (How bout them straight line zones)
Looking at you Windy Valley & Speed Highway. And the Sonic & Shadow levels in SA2.

#22 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Posttrakker, on 18 March 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

The first "right fit" game will probably be Generations with a couple of extra bits, some extra scenes and mabye a level so the story feel a bit more fluid, Its the easyest way to make some launch day money. It worked with SA2B on the Gamecube, that was in the top 10 saleswise I think, so I don't see why they can't do it again.

That could be a possibility, but I think the main reason Sega ported SA2 and SA1 over was because it was taking stuff from one of their consoles and putting it on another to present it to a new audience. Generations is out on multiple platforms already, rereleasing it isn't as essential.

I bet the Sonic Colors team is cooking up something for the WiiU right now. If not the WiiU will be the Generations Team's next project.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 18 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

#23 User is offline SteelBrush 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

• 603e
  • Project:Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.

View PostDr. Felix, on 18 March 2012 - 07:27 AM, said:

http://mynintendonew...-fit-for-wii-u/

“I don't think Sonic will ever become photo-real. I think Sonic will always remain stylised and will have that bright, colourful world.”[/I]

Says the man who directed SA1, SA2 and ShTH.

#24 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostDr. Felix, on 18 March 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I've been wondering, since there's gonna be more emphasis on 3D, could this mean...

A RETURN TO THE ADVENTURE FORMULA? :O

No it doesn't. A full 3D Sonic game would mean a full 3D Sonic game. Sonic Adventure 3 would mean a full 3D Sonic game where you only play as Sonic for two-thirds of the game and the rest would be spent on playing as other characters with bad gameplay gimmicks.

While I do really like the Unleashed Daytime/Colours/Modern Generations style of gameplay, I do think Sega should do something new with Sonic. The problem is that I don't really trust Sonic Team with doing that. With the last couple of games they've had the benefit of building on the daytime stages of Unleashed. Doing something new would mean going away from that style and trying to make something that hasn't been done before in the franchise. When they did that before Unleashed they made Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006. It's nice to know that they're sticking to the unrealistic look though.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 18 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

#25 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Yeah (Steelbrush) ^ I too found that quite funny. I don't actually think Sonic always needs to be bright, and it should contain some dark elements. Some parts of the originals were quite dark and depressing. I can't think of a more depressing place in a Sonic game than Scrap Brain Zone. That's actually quite frightening, and I'd imagine that it's also very hard to breathe.

View PostOKei, on 18 March 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostSpeedStarTMQ, on 18 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Good to see they haven't totally forgotton Nintendo then. After not getting Sonic Generations (console version), Sonic CD or Sonic 4 Epsiode II, as well as having the Sonic games taken off the VC store, I think they're gonna need to owe us Nintendo gamers.

Um, Mario & Sonic?

Seriously? It's a sports game. If it wasn't Sonic, it would be some other character doing the same thing. It's not really a true Sonic title.
This post has been edited by SpeedStarTMQ: 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

#26 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Nevertheless, you still got something. Also, let's not forget - Sonic Colours was a Nintendo exclusive. Nintendo hasn't exactly been neglected - Unleashed got a (restricted) port, S4E2 & Sonic CD were only not ported due to the 40MB Wiiware limit, Generations would have suffered if it had been ported even more than Unleashed did - most of the fault here IS Nintendo's. WiiU should fix a lot of this.

#27 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostOverlord, on 18 March 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

Nevertheless, you still got something. Also, let's not forget - Sonic Colours was a Nintendo exclusive. Nintendo hasn't exactly been neglected - Unleashed got a (restricted) port, S4E2 & Sonic CD were only not ported due to the 40MB Wiiware limit, Generations would have suffered if it had been ported even more than Unleashed did - most of the fault here IS Nintendo's. WiiU should fix a lot of this.

But then when the other companies come out with newer systems the same problem will be faced. The WiiU will still fall behind graphically as it will be using last gen technology.

#28 User is offline Dr. Felix 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

• Project:Project 15: A Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) Remake

View PostDark Sonic, on 18 March 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

View PostOverlord, on 18 March 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

But then when the other companies come out with newer systems the same problem will be faced. The WiiU will still fall behind graphically as it will be using last gen technology.
Nintendo has gotta go slow. /sonicx

#29 User is offline BarkingChaos 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

So is he basically saying that a pure, 3D style is being considered? Not the whole 3D to 2.5D thing that's going on? I don't mind it, but I would love to see Sega attempt to make a game without the 2.5D.

Even though I probably will not be buying a Wii U, its nice to hear that they are sticking with colorful, more stylized graphics. I have always felt the only games that have used the Wii to its fullest potential are the sonic games. I just hope Sonic doesn't become a nintendo exclusive, though I doubt it.

#30 User is offline OSM 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

• retro is for losers!
  • Project:Doing absolutely nothing
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostSteelBrush, on 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Says the man who directed SA1, SA2 and ShTH.

This.

Iizuka is a massive hypocrite.

I wouldn't mind a GOOD 3D Sonic that goes back to the Adventure formula again, if only they could do it right.
This post has been edited by OSM: 18 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users