Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Special Stage - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Special Stage

#16 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:04 AM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 20 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

So is that to say special stages would be specific to the zones they are accessed from? Or that they would all basically be the same animal and function the same as a goal ring that you have to kill? If its just one per level and if the exact stage is tied to the zone, I have to say it's decisively similar to Sonic Advance 1.

I mean to say that such a setup is what I don't want to see -- though like with the Sonic 3 special stage it shouldn't return again until after the beating the game once.

(On a similar note, even if a simple Mario World styled overworld area was used, backtracking shouldn't occur like in that game, but it should serve a purpose like the maps in Sonic 1 Master System the first time through the game -- however after beating the game it can be used to play single stages at a time like the map in Sonic Adventure 2.)

#17 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:46 AM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
I made that for my GBA game, you can use/edit it :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Good idea for a special stage, no?

#18 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

• Project:Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  • Wiki edits:2
I love that idea.

#19 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:03 AM

• Wiki edits:4
I think there should be not only a Special Stage and a Bonus Stage, but also an idea that I came up with: A Challenge Stage.
If you finish the stage without losing any lives, when you run through the Signpost of the stage's end, the character will run in circles around the signpost gathering speed and then is teleported to a Challenge Stage. In that stage you can collect monitors to be used at the next Act. For instance: At the Challenge Stage you got a Flame Shield and a 10-Ring monitor. When you begin Act 2, you'll have two icons at the bottom of the screen, which are those two items you got. Pressing a certain button will give you 10 rings and another button will give you the Flame Shield.
I still don't know how the Challenge Stage will work. Maybe we can ripoff the Sonic CD Special Stage and instead of UFOs, Eggman badniks holding the items. It would be pretty challenging (duh) and getting the items will be a hard task. You can only have two items with you. If you get more than two, after you finish the Challenge Stage, you'll choose only two of them to be with you. You cannot keep the items you got in the Challenge Stage for other stages. After you got them, you can only use in the next stage you'll be at. Also, Challenge Stages will give you some awarding points.

Also, I like the Golden Motorbugs idea. But I don't think we should only restrict to Motorbugs. We could have some other golden enemies which are slightly different than the normal ones. Some of them, depending on how convenient to the puzzle design involved on reaching them and killing them are, could have multiple armors (needs more than 1 hit to kill), different ways to attack and move than the original badniks they were based on, etc.

And, another idea I threw in the Sonic 4 development forum: Fang/Nack would appear at a certain part of a level, depending on how much Chaos Emeralds you have. For example, you're at Blue Mountain Zone and you just got your 4th Chaos Emerald. He will appear at a certain part of this level as a mini-boss. He, however, won't steal your C.E.s if you lose to him (that would be too much of a pain on the ass if that happened...) but if you defeat him, you'll win some major bonus points or he would drop a 1up or a really useful monitor. If you lose to him, he'll not re-spawn at that place again and you lost the chance to win some good points.

2 Chaos Emeralds: He'll appear with his Pop Gun, running, jumping high with his spring tail, and shooting at you like he doesn't have to reload anything.
4 Chaos Emeralds: He'll appear with a small machine with a spring which can jump higher than before. It shoots two-way projectiles which bounce off the walls much like Gemini Man of the Megaman series. It also takes more hits to defeat him.
7 Chaos Emeralds: Fang this time is for real. A floating machine that's really alike the other one, that flies and teleports really fast, it has 4 sattelites which provides protection and can shoot many kinds of different projectiles. From homming missiles to shockwaves. When he's almost defeated, it will try bashing you with full-power destroying the machine in the process.
This post has been edited by Rave: 24 November 2008 - 09:12 AM

#20 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

• Wiki edits:4
I was looking at the Sonic X-Treme website and I think that this would be a very nice idea to a Special Stage (although it would be hardcore to program it):
http://www.senntient...SonicDemo1.html
http://www.senntient...SonicDemo2.html
The Special Stage would consist of Sonic going through predeterminated paths, while your job is to tilt right and left to avoid obstacles and to catch rings. But by tilting right or left on certain paths, you may access hidden shortcuts, re-modeling your path to go. You would also sometimes perform little QTEs to avoid being hit or to jump platforms on the right timing, if not, you may lose rings or even die and be kicked out of the Special Stage (no worry, there will be an indication saying that you must press "x" button/buttons) your objective is to grab a specific number of rings. There will be small monitors with numbers in it, pass through them and the number you got from them will increase the time count, by getting hurt or not doing a QTE right, you lose 10 (or maybe 5) rings in the proccess. If you didn't get enough rings, you'll do it again, but with less time count of course.
Also, the Special Stage would be less confusing than those and more straight-forward, to not confuse players.

#21 User is offline Blue Cheese 

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

• Wiki edits:1
*edit*
OOOOOOPS!
I put this in the wrong topic...
This post has been edited by Blue Cheese: 20 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

#22 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:36 AM

Special Stage:

Outrun

Sonic skin over it.

That is all.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 03 January 2009 - 04:37 AM

#23 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game

View PostChimpo, on Jan 3 2009, 10:36 AM, said:

Special Stage:

Outrun

Sonic skin over it.

That is all.

Fuck, that's just the best idea ever :)

#24 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (Phoebius @ Jan 3 2009, 01:56 AM) [post="262462"]Posted Image

I can taste the 90s.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 03 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

#25 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29
That Special Stage idea is f**king sweeeet! I think we have a winner!

#26 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

• Fuck it
I like it, but I think we need a bit more to it than that.

Three words: METAL SONIC RACE

A few more: You know how we're all talking about throwing in every form of Metal Sonic? Here's where we encounter them! Grudge matches with Sonic to race for the emerald.

Of course, if there's going to be a race then there ought to be some sort of collectible item around for Sonic to grab to help speed him up a bit to give him an edge over his opponents. How about a classic mainstay of Sonic 3D stages since Sonic 3K?
This post has been edited by muteKi: 03 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

#27 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29

View PostmuteKi, on Jan 3 2009, 12:31 PM, said:

I like it, but I think we need a bit more to it than that.

Three words: METAL SONIC RACE

A few more: You know how we're all talking about throwing in every form of Metal Sonic? Here's where we encounter them! Grudge matches with Sonic to race for the emerald.

Of course, if there's going to be a race then there ought to be some sort of collectible item around for Sonic to grab to help speed him up a bit to give him an edge over his opponents. How about a classic mainstay of Sonic 3D stages since Sonic 3K?

AND some time increase items/boxes.. that is, if it hasn't been thought up yet. I love the Metal Sonic idea, it should become a race of some sort for sure.

#28 User is online nineko 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Do we have 6/7 incarnations of Mecha/Metal/Silver Sonic?

1. The Roller in Spring Yard Zone
2. Silver Sonic in Sonic 2 8-bit
3. Mecha Sonic in Sonic 2 16-bit
4,5. Mecha Sonic and Super Mecha Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles
6. Metal Sonic in Sonic CD
7. ???????
This post has been edited by nineko: 03 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

#29 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

• Fuck it
Mobiethan: Well if it's an actual race you don't really need a timer as such -- your opponent sets the pacing instead.

There is also the redesigned Metal Sonic from Heroes, not sure if that would count or not.
This post has been edited by muteKi: 03 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

#30 User is offline Blast Processing 

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

• Wiki edits:5
The final Special Stage features Eggman getting increasinly pissed off as each Metal Sonic loses, and races you himself.

>_>

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users