Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: What was your FIRST impression of Sonic? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

What was your FIRST impression of Sonic?

#31 User is offline Kæðer 

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

1 - First Sonic game I played: Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

2 - Found out about it: from playing it once with my little brother at my mom's boyfriend (Ex-boyfriend? Friend?)'s house when we were little. I'm guessing it was the mid 90s.

3 - Initial reaction to it: I was kinda leery with it not being a Nintendo console (and my little brother liked Sonic, thanks to the cartoon, so of course I, the elder brother, couldn't like that little-kid crap. Haha), but I did enjoy it. I got stuck on the underwater stage.

I didn't play a Sonic game again till my cousin got a Dreamcast and I played Sonic Adventure. I only remember playing Windy Hill. It was pretty fantastic actually. I mean, those graphics... But that was it for Sonic once more.

...Till my little brother got Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. And I became a huge fan, played it to death, recorded the vocal songs from the sound player with a voice recorder and listened to it like a Walkman, and eventually bought the vocal album and Sonic Adventure DX. :D

#32 User is offline Knucklez 

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

1. Sonic & Knuckles Collection PC (Sonic 3 & Knuckles).

2. My grandfather, who I have not seen or spoken to in 15 years, randomly gifted me with this when I was about 7 years old. Besides SMB1 on my NES and Bonk's Adventure on my TG16 (which I still have all of), this was my only PC game. Looking back it's pretty cool to know that my first games and intro to gaming were none other than the industry's Holy Trinity of mascots.

3. I have to say I was 'mesmerized' by all the color and the scenery throughout the levels and oh god that beautiful PC soundtrack no one on here appreciates. Once I figured out the basics and got going, I just couldn't put the joystick down. I got past CNZ barrel with ease while using joystick but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to do it using the keyboard once my joystick broke lol. It was a trip though. I was a lonely kid and it pulled me into another world I just couldn't get enough of.

I played this game for 4-5 straight years alongside Age of Empires 1 & 2 and Age of Mythology. It wasn't until middle school that I figured it all out and finally managed to snag the Super Emeralds and become Hyper. THAT was refreshing after so many years. And then my old desktop that could run the old Windows 98 game broke down. Got a laptop after that which ran Vista and my games were toast. I know all the compatibility workarounds now, but at the time I was clueless and just dealt with being forced to abandon the games because Vista wouldn't run them. I jumped onto Pokémon Emerald, Diamond, Platinum... while simultaneously on RuneScape for 4.5 years... and in quitting that waste of time after clocking over 6000 hours, I picked up my S&KC and yearned to play it again somehow. Did some research and lo-and-behold I discovered that roms and emulation existed... in Dec 2010... yes I know... I was living under a rock. However, when I booted S3K up for the first time on Fusion I burst into fucking tears. I did more research and I discovered THIS PLACE AND WOW THERE'S A SONIC 1!!! AND 2!!! SEGA GENESIS!? THE HELL IS THAT!?!?!? Thank you Retro. You pulled me out from under the proverbial rock. Above all though, thank you Grandpa George. I'm sorry we can't have a relationship but I will always be grateful for your random gift that would define so much of who I am. Sonic 3 runs deep for me in many ways and it will forever be a part of who I am.
This post has been edited by Knucklez: 15 December 2017 - 08:45 PM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users