Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Totem - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic Totem

#1 User is offline SABrown 

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

Hi everyone. Over the past year, I've been working away at my first fangame - a demo built within Unity called Sonic Totem. Development started around the launch of Sonic Mania, and barring a break between February and June I've been working on it in my spare time. This is my first time doing anything like this - Knew I wanted to learn C# and thought this would be a perfect means to that end. The demo I've just released (V1.01) contains two zones, the first of which has a boss fight at the end. I'm aware that the Physics is a bit off - it's something that's on my to-do list, and I've found it quite tricky to replicate the OG physics engine in Unity, but... it's playable! ^_^; Future work that will go into this will mainly depend on my spare time, and things may be about to get busy again, hence why I'm publishing this build now. I've done all the scripting independently, and when I go back to it I'd like to completely overhaul the main character controller script.

The concept is as such: Dr Eggman has learned of the Catastrophe Totems, ancient devices rumoured to be able to control the forces of nature. The evil doctor realises with these powers he can hold the world to ransom - literally through rain, snow and shine. After finding the primary control totem in the game's opening act (Firewood Forest), it's up to Sonic to find the other totems first, prevent Eggman from building the Egg Totem, and avert an environmental disaster.

You can watch the trailer here:

Additionally, full gameplay videos of both zones can be found on my youtube channel. You can download the demo, playable in Mac or Windows environments here:
https://www.dropbox....OF4nDzHD0a?dl=0

Input is with the Keyboard. At the main menu, you can press "M" to toggle music (As personally I prefer to play the first zone with "Windy Hill" from Sonic Adventure and the second with "A little light snowfall" from Yoshi's Woolly World), or "C" to reset the player data. Press Esc in-game to open up the menu.

Let me know what you think! Is this something you'd like to see more of in the future?
This is my first time doing anything like this so.. uh, please be kind haha.
This post has been edited by SABrown: 29 September 2018 - 07:52 AM

#2 User is offline Noah Copeland 

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

Haven't had a chance to play it yet but I have to say, the game looks very original visually. Nice environmental effects like the leaves. Nice zone tropes that aren't the norm as well. Bonus points for aurora borealis.

"I'm aware that the Physics is a bit off"
This is very reassuring to hear ^^^
You'd be surprised how many people making games are unable to see the obvious shortcoming in their work. As long as you are aware, that puts me at ease. And yes, replicating those physics is no easy task. If I'm not mistaken, I think Tpot was able to get a decent Sonic engine working in Unity, but don't quote me on that XD

:thumbsup:

./>
This post has been edited by Noah Copeland: 29 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

#3 User is online winterhell 

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:50 AM

Very cool!

#4 User is offline Flare 

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

Getting some Donkey Kong Country Returns / Tropical Freeze vibes from the level design. Which is refreshing to see.

#5 User is offline SABrown 

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the comments guys! Especially @Noah it means a lot that my concepts delivered - I've tried to go with some fresh tropes that haven't really been used that much within the series.

I'm happy to also announce that I've already began work at redesigning the Physics engine, and although it'll take time to reconfigure the world around Sonic, I've already got him moving -much- more akin to the original games, and many of the Physics problems in the current build are pretty much gone now :) . It'll take some time to rebuild the other stuff, but in a few months I should be able to provide an update!

I'm really happy to know that people are interested in the project :)

#6 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Studio, Kyle & Lucy: WW
  • Wiki edits:111
Wow loving this - using colours and particles really well - such good atmos and even immersion. Something so unique about it!
Very awesome.

#7 User is offline Timaeus 

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

The art and animations are so awesome, and the zones looks so pretty. However, the physics, by what I saw on videos, really needs alot of work. Do that and this will become a masterpiece, and honestly the distance of the camera doesnt bother me. Amazing job

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users