Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources

#151 User is offline Windii 

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:34 AM

• エッグマン帝国よ、永 なれ!
  • Project:Fanvids!
This seems to be the most appropriate topic to post this in. A Sonic Forces retranslation mod is now in the works.

Obviously it's still not complete, since only the text for Shadow Story has been implemented so far, but we're getting there. Yes, I'm aiming to retranslate the entire story content from the game (which probably means I may have also done all the unused stuff that no player will get to hear in the game normally. Shame).

I'm going to later post the scripts to my Pastebin, for those who don't want to play.

#152 User is offline Skyth 

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

I've found debug leftovers in game executable which contains the format structure of every RFL file, as well as set object parameters. With this info, every RFL and set object type is now cracked with proper names!

I've generated 010 Editor binary templates (.bt) for RFL files. You can get them here.
String editing is currently not supported.

As for set object types, Radfordhound will be fixing the XML templates that I created, and add proper descriptions to them. He will put everything in his level editor, HedgeEdit.

However, you can still have them if you want.
This post has been edited by Skyth: 27 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

#153 User is offline CornflakeRush 

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

View PostSkyth, on 26 March 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

I've found debug leftovers in game executable which contains the format structure of every RFL file, as well as set object parameters. With this info, every RFL and set object type is now cracked with proper names!

I've generated 010 Editor binary templates (.bt) for RFL files. You can get them here.
String editing is currently not supported.

As for set object types, Radfordhound will be fixing the XML templates that I created, and add proper descriptions to them. He will put everything in his level editor, HedgeEdit.

However, you can still have them if you want.

That's awesome! Maybe now we can finally see the devs' notes on what does what in the physics files. Great work.

#154 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Is there any real benefit to modding Forces rather than Generations?

#155 User is offline CornflakeRush 

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

View PostAerosol, on 01 April 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

Is there any real benefit to modding Forces rather than Generations?

If you ask me having the Avatar and 3D/2D platforming that's possibly... theoretically... MAYBE a bit more compatible "out of the box" with the tighter platforming in levels like those from '06 make it worth pursuing, but then again I'm speaking as someone who's not facing hours of coding to create the tools to allow this modding in the first place!

For me personally, I wanted to make my Modern Sonic Physics Tweaks mod to try and help bring Forces closer to its full potential - I remember having a lot to complain about after I finished my first playthrough but something about it made me want to stick around, join Sonic Retro and get involved in whatever way I could to try and improve the game! The power of modding lets you take a game and change it in a way that others might enjoy, and I think Forces has definitely benefited greatly from that with all the Avatar Parts, physics fixes/adjustments, playermodels and now levels people have already made and converted.

Granted I can't point to a specific feature that separates Forces from Gens outside of the Avatar, but that's just my thoughts! :P

#156 User is offline Caped Baldy 

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

I'm getting "invalid dds file" error when I try to modify texture files from the .pac files in paint.net and gimp.

#157 User is offline CornflakeRush 

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostCaped Baldy, on 04 April 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

I'm getting "invalid dds file" error when I try to modify texture files from the .pac files in paint.net and gimp.

Try making a copy of them, renaming the file extension of the duplicates to ".dds2", then import those resulting "<texture>.dds2" files into Paint.NET.

As for renaming file extensions, I'm sure there's plenty of ways to do it but the easiest for me is to navigate to the folder in something like 7Zip or WinRAR and rename them from there.

#158 User is offline Caped Baldy 

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

View PostCornflakeRush, on 04 April 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

Try making a copy of them, renaming the file extension of the duplicates to ".dds2", then import those resulting "<texture>.dds2" files into Paint.NET.

As for renaming file extensions, I'm sure there's plenty of ways to do it but the easiest for me is to navigate to the folder in something like 7Zip or WinRAR and rename them from there.

Yeeeah, that didn't work at all. Won't even recognize the files. I even tried forcing it to open using "open with", and it couldn't be opened.

#159 User is offline Skyth 

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

View PostCaped Baldy, on 04 April 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yeeeah, that didn't work at all. Won't even recognize the files. I even tried forcing it to open using "open with", and it couldn't be opened.

Do you even have the plugins?

#160 User is offline Caped Baldy 

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

View PostSkyth, on 06 April 2018 - 01:14 AM, said:

View PostCaped Baldy, on 04 April 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Do you even have the plugins?

Frack, guess I missed that step. Back then when I wanted to mod Generations, my PC wasn't compatible with paint.NET, so I had to use gimp. Thanks man.
This post has been edited by Caped Baldy: 06 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

• 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users