Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Let's talk about the Sonic Advance trilogy - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Let's talk about the Sonic Advance trilogy

#31 User is offline TripleXero 

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

The first game is one of my absolute favorite Sonic games. I don't have much to say about the other two games, but I did own them as a kid. I probably played them a lot less due to their lack of Tiny Chao Gardens (I never unlocked it in Advance 2). Sonic Advance to me was like what the original Sonic the Hedgehog was to some people, it was my first game on the Game Boy Advance and I never played any side scrolling Sonic games at that point. Prior to owning Advance, I had only played Adventure on Dreamcast, so most of what I knew of the series was existed in Advance as well.

I love how all the characters play differently. I wouldn't really go out of my way to play as Amy as much as the other three, but I appreciate that she was basically a hard mode for the game. I also have a fond memory of looking up the game in one of those cheat books at Walmart and finding out about the Sonic & Tails mode and being blown away.

I think the game plays great. I can only recall coming across a glitch once. Somehow I managed to get myself stuck in one of the indentations of the walls in the first level. Like I mentioned before, I didn't have the classic games to compare it to, but going back to it now I think it holds up. Level design is questionable at times, but not terrible. All the bosses are pretty unique as well.

The special stages were a bit of a pain. I never legitimately beat the game with all the Chaos Emeralds when I was a kid. Sonic was my favorite character to play as, and he had the lowest chances of stumbling upon the springs leading to the stages. The stages themselves were visually appealing, but I could never get more than the first three emeralds because they were so hard to do. I didn't even realize there were Chao to collect in them until years later. The one good thing about the special stages was that they carried over between characters and you could go back and look for them after you beat the game.

Some of my favorite music of the series is from this game. Listening to them again now I can tell that the sound that the Game Boy produced wasn't the best, but the compositions were what I cared about. I wish these songs would get remixed more. I remember spending a lot of time in the Sound Test listening to stuff. I also spent a lot of time in the multiplayer menu watching the Chao look back and forth listening to that song. I didn't know anyone else with the game so I never played the multiplayer back then, I just liked the waiting music.

The real gem of this game when I was a kid was the Tiny Chao Garden. I know Chao are pretty hit or miss in the Sonic community, but I absolutely loved them. I spent so much time playing the mini games to save up rings. I had a Chao I named "Baby Joe" that was my one and only Chao for the longest time. Eventually I got Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube. The Chao connectivity between the two games is still one of the coolest things ever to me. Unfortunately, this lead to the demise of Baby Joe, as when he crossed over to the 3D world, I didn't treat him the best because I didn't know the consequences of treating the Chao badly. He eventually died.

Going to Advance 2. I don't think I ever beat the game, I always died on the sky stage. I hated how the special stages worked and I only ever got to the first one and never beat it. It was just too much to unlock them in under 10 minutes.

Sonic Advance 3 I played more than 2, but I don't remember all that much about it. I definitely beat it, but was always upset that the Chao Gardens weren't the traditional ones from previous games. I was obsessed as a kid.

#32 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

• FUTURE 2222
  • Wiki edits:6
Damn, I feel kinda bad for people who struggled with Advance 3 lmao.

1 - vanilla, safe, simple, got the job done in 2002, but got a bit boring after a while.

2 - SPEED SPEED I NEED MORE SPEED (love it)

3 - A bit all over the place for sure, but I still enjoyed it. No major issues other than introducing easily getting clipped and crushed by moving solid platforms (something the Taxman engine games also have an issue with :/ )

#33 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:03 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Overall I think of the Advance games very fondly. Three great games that all tried different things..

Of course, Advance 1 being closest to the Mega Drive games is going to stay my personal favourite. Advance 2 is generally great. Advance 3 has some fuckawesome highlights and also some low points, but contains one of my favourite Super Sonic fights in the series.

Also G-merl is love. Second to Metal Sonic.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been covered really!

#34 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostSir_mihael, on 07 October 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

Not much else to say that hasn't already been covered really!

Perhaps but I still think more discussion can be fruitful. There's more to this than "Dimps! Stop putting death pits at the end of every zone!"

Likewise, I advise anyone that hasn't to give all three games a try (I recommend mGBA if you go the emulation route). Formulate some thoughts and share them here.

#35 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I'm surprised Advance 3 is so disliked. I don't care for the music overall but I always thought it was the game Advance 2 should have been. Peppy but with more flexibility due to the team mechanic (i.e., other characters aren't as obsessively speed-docused as Sonic) and a lot less redundancy (I've come to appreciate Advance 2 more over the years, but I don't like having to beat the game with the emeralds as every character to unlock everything).

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users