Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 172 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding Now with more research and development!

#2551 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178

View PostMainMemory, on 17 June 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Because it wasn't until a few days ago that FTCR's Sonic Crackers LP went up, which included footage of my Sonic in a dress mod, which prompted me to comment that it would fit the channel better if it was Big in a dress, to which the person who recorded the footage agreed and suggested that I should do it, and, well, here we are.

Wasn't in that one but just wanted to say that this is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

#2552 User is offline Morph 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
Unrelated to the topic at hand (nice find, by the way!), the results of the poll mentioned here:

View PostMorph, on 09 June 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hey all you people who actually make mods for SADX: I'm wondering what version of Windows you're using. This will help with some tool development decisions regarding the 3D viewers. I want to know whether or not I need to maintain a Direct3D 9 renderer or if I can drop it in favor of Direct3D 10+.

I've made a poll on Twitter here. It'll be up for a week, so if you could vote I'd appreciate it!

appear to be overwhelmingly Windows 7+, so once I get around to it, I will begin upgrading this experimental project to Direct3D 11 and eventually merge it into SA Tools. :eng101:

#2553 User is offline Strife 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

• Project:Freedom Planet 2

View PostNeo, on 19 June 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hot Shelter could have been the last stage at one point.

Just a wild theory, but this could perhaps explain the presence of water in Hot Shelter, i.e. it could have originally been flood water from the carrier crashing into the ocean, but was later reworked into an aquarium.

#2554 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

• Wiki edits:109
Another thing I forgot to mention. You can actually load up those event .prs with any character and any stage. The event file itself contains the dialog text, camera movement data, animation data, and code to make it work with the external functions in 1ST_READ. It's funny because when I initially loaded the event file it was just with Sonic on top of the Egg Carrier. When the animation of Amy looking up appeared (which the data is exclusive to this event file), it changed Sonic's mesh to Amy's for the duration of the animation. So there could be some unused assets (models, animation, etc) in the other event files that go unreferenced.

Has anyone actually documented what each of the event .prs files correlate to? I wonder if there are any more events/cutscenes that go unused but are still included in the game, like this one.

#2555 User is offline SystemsReady 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

• Project:Right now just focusing on getting this new PC machine all set up!

View PostNeo, on 19 June 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hot Shelter could have been the last stage at one point.

In the Autodemo, Hot Shelter isn't even present, either - no assets, not even level slots. It could be that either:

1.) It was developed last, which might indicate that it could be a final stage for Amy (as it is a final stage for both Gamma and Big), if development went remotely in how the levels were meant to be played;
2.) The stage was a really late addition and it shuffled around the level order, resulting in cut cutscenes such as the one just posted.

#2556 User is offline Jmtshaw 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:22 PM

View Postevilhamwizard, on 19 June 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

Has anyone actually documented what each of the event .prs files correlate to? I wonder if there are any more events/cutscenes that go unused but are still included in the game, like this one.

There's this list I made a few years ago:
Spoiler

It's worded a bit confusingly but as long as you know which scenes take place after each stage you should be able to read it. :)

View PostSystemsReady, on 19 June 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

In the Autodemo, Hot Shelter isn't even present, either - no assets, not even level slots.
Hot Shelter is mentioned by Tikal in some of her voice clips. I think it was planned by the time they did the stories, but the stage itself just got made later than the other ones probably because it's the only one Sonic doesn't go to.
I mean, the music for Act 2 was used in part of the game's announcement video after all.

View PostStrife, on 19 June 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

Just a wild theory, but this could perhaps explain the presence of water in Hot Shelter, i.e. it could have originally been flood water from the carrier crashing into the ocean, but was later reworked into an aquarium.

In general I think Act 1 was designed more for Big rather than Amy. There's tons of leftovers in Amy's version of HS Act 1 that indicate she wasn't the first character the act was designed for.

#2557 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

Completely unrelated to the previous posts, but I figured I could as well share this little thing. I just corrected the transparency issue in the game icon:
Posted Image

Here's the fixed icon:
http://www.mediafire...d_SADX_icon.ico

And here are the executables with with the fixed icon:
http://www.mediafire...d_SADX_icon.zip
It's the US exe, so it's compatible with the mod loader.

PS: Does anyone have the Steam version's icon? It would be neat to be able to put it on the 2004 version, for people who want their SADX and SA2 to have matching icons :v:
Besides, it looks plain better.

I have the one from the Dreamcast Collection release, which is in the same style (read: it's the box art):
Posted Image
...but it has a transparent frame (unlike the SA2 icon), and only includes one resolution, which is pretty low compared to the SA2's highest res icon (64x64 vs 256x256). So I was wondering if the Steam SA1 icon had a higher res?
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 21 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

#2558 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 21 June 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

So I was wondering if the Steam SA1 icon had a higher res?

I checked the Steam version executables with Resource Hacker it's the same 64x64 one that the Dreamcast collection has.

#2559 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Oh. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks for checking.

In that case, here are the 2004 executables with the DCC/Steam icon for anyone who wants them:
http://www.mediafire..._Steam_icon.zip

#2560 User is offline PkR 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

• Project:SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
To be fair that particular icon is pretty easy to recreate. It's just the title screen background with Sonic slapped on top, both of these can be easily found online. If nobody else does it I'll make a high-res icon for it sometime soon.
I've always wanted to change that SADX icon, but I'm not a big fan of editing the EXE file. I think the point of the Mod Loader is partially to help people get away from EXE mods, which may have all sorts of issues and aren't compatible with each other. Changing the icon feels like going back to EXE mods again, even though it isn't as invasive as an actual EXE mod. If the Mod Loader ever gets the functionality to patch the EXE with an icon of your choice that will be a lot better though.

#2561 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I think part of the point here is to change the icon in the file so it's consistent. For the purpose of mods that want to distinguish themselves though, I could add an icon parameter to mod.ini I suppose.

#2562 User is offline PkR 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

So how about this? (I hope spoilers work this time)
Spoiler

Also MainMemory, while this is absolutely minor, I think it would be beneficial to have universal EXE icon patching built into the Mod Loader so that people who want a different icon in their EXE (for consistency reasons or to make their mods stand out) don't have to edit the EXE themselves. I also think it would be better to have an overall "EXE icon" setting rather than an option in mod.ini. That way the player can select any icon they want (including those that come with the mods) regardless of which mods they have enabled.

#2563 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Well I don't want the mod manager to do any kind of EXE editing, and honestly I don't know how to do resource edits.

#2564 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostPkR, on 21 June 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

So how about this? (I hope spoilers work this time)
Spoiler

Thanks for your efforts. Looks great, though the bottom of the bg is a bit off. The ruins are too high, even though the buildings' height matches the icon. Strangely, the icon has the ruins and buildings at different heights, unlike the title screen bg and the box art. It would seem that they edited the bg when they made that icon. Weird.

Anyway, I think it would look better with the bg zoomed in or lowered, but I suppose that's out of the question, given the position of the ripples. So nothing to do about it, other than maybe using the box art:
http://cdn-ak.f.st-h...60528164112.jpg
https://store.playst...rsion=00_09_000
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 22 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

#2565 User is offline PkR 

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 22 June 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

So nothing to do about it, other than maybe using the box art:

It looks like the X360 version of Dreamcast Collection has a similar-looking menu background, which I will check out soon. If anyone has this version, I would appreciate a rip of those menus.

• 172 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users