Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 54 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (Project Sonic 2017)

#796 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostDeef, on 27 March 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Nothing about Forces has interested me. It's milking classic Sonic again. It's got boost and homing again. I don't see what we are supposed to get interested in.

Those things if you enjoyed them before :v:

#797 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

• Incapable of capability
  • Project:Wearing a more fabulous hat than you

View PostDeef, on 27 March 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Nothing about Forces has interested me. It's milking classic Sonic again. It's got boost and homing again. I don't see what we are supposed to get interested in.

It's a real shame too, because no other platforming character has the ability to play around with terrain and gravity like Sonic, but the funnest thing they can come up with is going in straight lines real fast and jumps that aim for you.
Believe it or not, folks, some people really like modern Sonic games. Aren't opinions neat? :eng101:

#798 User is offline AutiMatic 

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 AM

• Project:#SaturdayAMKillSession
Ironically, I do love the modern style boost gameplay! As a speed runner you try to get the timing right and tight for input based on Sonic's trajectory in relation to placement in the level. It really allows for you to see how the devs created the levels anticipating the player to move, and it's brilliant on its own regard. Sonic Rush sold boost to me, Unleashed sealed the deal in plausibility.

I agree with Tiller's sentiments about how Sonic is to interact with terrain! Sonic running downhill should be faster than on flat. Sonic rolling downhill should be faster than running. This rollerball physics concept should still remain an absolute rule of Sonic gameplay in 3D as it did in 2D, especially since every playable Sonic character can/should be able to do the same thing and perform the same way (just like in SA 1 *funny*)! Boost shouldn't be a button mapped function, but a reward for Sonic specifically for maintaining a momentum threshold (ala time travel in Sonic CD). Rolling would make Sonic & friends eventually come to a stop if the terrain doesn't feed it and jump trajectories from rolling should be stiff as they were in 2D games. While in curled state, Sonic & friends are virtually the same as boost (pseudo invincible). However if boost was a reward from maintaining speed (think Super Sonic vs Perfect Chaos in SA1) for Sonic only, it would allow for the advantage of having full control of your jumps, and self perpetuating movement not relying on terrain.

This would give power ups like Speed Shoes and elemental shields purpose, function, and applications in modern gameplay and level settings without sacrificing homing attack. (Think of homing attack to fire shield air boost, to homing attack, to fire shield boost-chains to access areas otherwise unexplorable by Sonic for shortcuts across a dangerous path). Of course, Tails and Knuckles can't use shield powers, as they have their own core abilities.

Ideally, Sonic Lost World level build (branching paths and routes along parallel or adjacent surfaces but hold off on the Mario Galaxy sphere, and tube fetish) with a Classic Sonic Generations segment ratio, may be pull from SegaSonic Arcade or Sonic 3D Blast for level progression and it should offer a Sonic Utopia-esque experience. Example: Lost World (level in SA1 Knuckles version). Fill that room with platforms and traversable surfaces, more paths, content, and loops, instead of that empty space in middle. This beats creating kilometers worth of stretched land for Sonic to pass through in the course of 3 minutes, which is extremely taxing, just for the sake of the boost mechanic. It also allows for a "room-type" level build as opposed to a corridor type, allowing for height and depth to be fleshed out, to contain multiple individual "race tracks" that can be choosen by the player at intersecting portions leading to another room with the same concept. The player would truly get more bang for their buck per square mile of a level without relying on heavy automation.

I only explained that much because Sonic Team has incorporated these concepts in their titles already, so putting it together is plausible.

PS: Chaos Emeralds should be equippable by character, offering a buff or bonus or ability individually, as well as in conjunction or in combinations with 1 another: equipping green may allow for user to Chaos Control to next checkpoint/closest goal ring. Can only be used once in level and cost 50 rings. White emerald may allow for spike immunity. Equipping just both = ? And equipping all 7 = Super of course. Stick em in special stage, or randomize their in level appearances...whatever.

TL;DR
Sonic Forces is so far revealing Sonic Team is building off a shallow foundation, and in unsafe directions in spite of having everything they need to identify Sonic in 3D and make him just as prominent as Mario is in his own content/world.

EDIT: Sonic Mania is dedicated to Classic Sonic. Why add him to Sonic Forces? The 3rd gameplay style may be Eggman tactical "drop hazards for Sonic in level" like a castle defender game trying to keep Sonic from reaching the end. Or it may be....fishing.
This post has been edited by AutiMatic: Yesterday, 03:03 AM

#799 User is offline rata 

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
I couldn't imagine a TD game based on Sonic though //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png.

#800 User is offline runde 

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 PM

• Project:What was I was supposed to do again?
I guess if I would attempt to predict (or make) the 3rd playstyle, I would try another crack at the Parkour, but not with Sonic...

KNUCKLES DON'T CHUCKLE. HE GOES HARDCORE WITH THE PARKOUR.

#801 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postrunde, on Yesterday, 01:13 PM, said:

I guess if I would attempt to predict (or make) the 3rd playstyle, I would try another crack at the Parkour, but not with Sonic...

Honestly though, IMO Werehog gameplay with more platforming would suit Knuckles well.

#802 User is offline runde 

Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

• Project:What was I was supposed to do again?

View PostDark Sonic, on Yesterday, 01:19 PM, said:

View Postrunde, on Yesterday, 01:13 PM, said:

Honestly though, IMO Werehog gameplay with more platforming would suit Knuckles well.

You'll have to figure out how to substitute or compensate for that Stretch Armstrong / Kratos combat system though. Chaos (especially the 2 emerald version) can fit right in with that system unchanged.

A Knuckles brawler would be a great change of pace. It can be something that today's Sonic Team can hang it's hat on, and it's pretty unique in this day and age.

• 54 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users