Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic The Hedgehog: Haven Home World - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic The Hedgehog: Haven Home World A Sonic Tribute Fan Game

#1 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Posted Image

Hi everyone, I'm DarkVampireDee but you guys can call me DVD for short, everyone else does :)
This is a fan game project that I've been working on for a few years now, on and off. There were some issues and obstacles in my way that slow me down. This was cancelled at first but for the last month I've partner up with a good friend of mine who can do the programing for me.
This fan game is pretty much a BIG tribute to everyone to the whole Sonic fan community (more details will be reveal soon)

Story: Sadly there is no story yet but I will update this section.

Playable Characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles (unlockable), and Amy (unlockable).
Maybe there will be more but for now it's only those four : D

Zones List:

R1 Fantasy Forest - A big tribute to Brenda Ross for making Wood zone (Sonic 2 BETA), I really love how she made that forest theme level.
The style and colors inspired by my favorite Disney's animated film, Alice In Wonderland (1951)

Posted Image
Posted Image

R2 Prism Palace - This is based on my annotation of what the famous lost round two from Sonic CD would look like. I've been working on this zone for such a long time (7 years on it)

Posted Image
Posted Image

R3 Sabaku Sand - A desert zone dedicated to everyone that worked on desert zones like Taxman, Brenda Ross. Think of this as Dust Hill zone and Desert Dazzle merge.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

R4 Mercury Mine - A tribute to Nemesis hoax R2.

Posted Image

R5 N/A
R6 N/A
R7 N/A
R8 N/A

Old Video:



Older Videos:



Team Member:

Head Project Leader: DarkVampireDee
Co-Leader: Shadow MasterX5
Pixel Artist: DarkVampireDee
Pixel Artist Assistant: Shadow MasterX5
Programming: Shadow Master X5
Layout Design: DarkVampireDee
Layout Coding: Shiro/Violet

Beta Testers: Manni, Dakras, Ay Jay, Shiro/Violet, Lucas Vieira,Sapristi45 , Hex (Maxim Grosch).

Special Thanks for those who contributed in my project: Sapristi45, Shiro/Violet, Manni, PicsAndPixels, Ay Jay

This game is being used by ClickTeam Fusion 2.5 and Sonic Worlds Version 1.5.0

These are the following people that worked on Sonic Worlds Version 1.5.0
Techokami
Mr. Potatobadger
Ice God 64
Mr Lange:
Blaze Hedgehog
DimensionWarped
Damizean
Zenor
LarkSS
Azu
Blue Emerald
LakeFepard
Naoshi
Felik
MCKaosu
Rael0505


Special Thanks to my friends, [i]Shadow Master X5, Shiro/Violet, MrLevRocks, Ay Jay, Manni, TheValeev, Mistergambit, PicsAndPixels, Dakras, and Richard Rogers (Spykid).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BETA BUILD with Debug Mode

To use Debug mode, press H to activate it. Press S to use it (press it again to get out of it), A to select and D to place it

Sonic Haven Home World [Debug Mode Test]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This demo build is version 0.95 with the first old layouts before it got scrap.

Sonic Haven Home World Beta Ver. 0.95
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 22 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

#2 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:24 PM

  • A "Community Enigma"?
  • Posts: 1389
  • Joined: 23-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:51
These levels are pretty nice looking, but my main problem is clarity. When you're doing sprite art for videogames, being able to clearly separate background objects (that the player cannot interact with) and foreground objects (that the player collides with) is pretty vital. When players are playing the game, they don't have any time to stop and think about what they're actually looking at, they can only identify basic shapes. You have to help them understand what the basic shapes of your world are.

In Sabaku Sand and Mercury Mine, a lot of the same colors are used in both the background and foreground. It makes the image kind of overwhelming to look at because there's no clear, easy way to tell the two apart. Even your HUD's a little bit too noisy, it's hard to read the numbers.

You've done some good work, but with a few simple color/contrast tweaks to boost clarity at a glance, this could be really incredible.

#3 User is offline Felik 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:56 AM

  • Posts: 1412
  • Joined: 11-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:1
Aside from the issue Blaze pointed out I'd like to add that level palettes are very samey. A problem that I pointed out to you before and you never bothered to address. Out of 4 zones you're showcasing 3 use very similar color palette.

Also is the poll really necessary? Feels a bit... juvenile to include a poll like that.
This post has been edited by Felik: 19 July 2016 - 02:57 AM

#4 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

  • Posts: 57
  • Joined: 09-April 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
There's definitely the potential for an absolutely breathtaking sprite style here, but as Blaze mentioned those screenshots by themselves are literally hurting my eyes just looking at them, because of how loud and crowded the asthetics and colors feel. Toning back the colors and maybe toning down the number of objects (ESPECIALLY in the foreground, which is extremely hard to make appealing in a 2D game of this nature) would do this a world of good.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what comes out of this. And yeah, that poll is... admitedly a bit silly.
This post has been edited by Fenrir: 19 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

#5 User is offline Ay Jay 

  Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-June 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Neo Adventure
While I disagree that the graphics are hard on the eyes (which I find to be the polar opposite, as it's really easy in my eyes), I do think there should be a bigger contrast between main plane, foreground and background. Specially in Mercury Mine and Sabaku Sands. Simply making the backgrounds (or non-interactive objects in the main plane) would solve this issue.

#6 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 18 July 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

These levels are pretty nice looking, but my main problem is clarity. When you're doing sprite art for videogames, being able to clearly separate background objects (that the player cannot interact with) and foreground objects (that the player collides with) is pretty vital. When players are playing the game, they don't have any time to stop and think about what they're actually looking at, they can only identify basic shapes. You have to help them understand what the basic shapes of your world are.In Sabaku Sand and Mercury Mine, a lot of the same colors are used in both the background and foreground. It makes the image kind of overwhelming to look at because there's no clear, easy way to tell the two apart. Even your HUD's a little bit too noisy, it's hard to read the numbers.You've done some good work, but with a few simple color/contrast tweaks to boost clarity at a glance, this could be really incredible.

View PostFelik, on 19 July 2016 - 02:56 AM, said:

Aside from the issue Blaze pointed out I'd like to add that level palettes are very samey. A problem that I pointed out to you before and you never bothered to address. Out of 4 zones you're showcasing 3 use very similar color palette.Also is the poll really necessary? Feels a bit... juvenile to include a poll like that.

View PostFenrir, on 19 July 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

There's definitely the potential for an absolutely breathtaking sprite style here, but as Blaze mentioned those screenshots by themselves are literally hurting my eyes just looking at them, because of how loud and crowded the asthetics and colors feel. Toning back the colors and maybe toning down the number of objects (ESPECIALLY in the foreground, which is extremely hard to make appealing in a 2D game of this nature) would do this a world of good.Regardless, I'm excited to see what comes out of this. And yeah, that poll is... admitedly a bit silly.



Wow, look at that. Ok, first thing is that I will keep working out on the palette issues again as usual (I'm not perfect, no one's perfect, just keep that in mind please). The second, I'll be honest, I'm having second thoughts on the HUD numbers for a while so I work on that also. And the third thing is that if you guys think the poll is unnecessary, I will remove it.
Thank you for all of your constructed criticism on the mock ups (yes they are mock ups, I apologize for not mention it). I will go over them

#7 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Posted Image

The left is the original and the right is the one I edited the palettes.

I used the old palette from Desert Dazzle, add a bit of contrast on the background and updated the HUD numbers so it should be more readable. The foreground cacti is more darker now
Is this better now?

#8 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

  • Posts: 636
  • Joined: 01-January 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
Hey mate,

Great work, keep at it! Love the music in that video demo you have, can you link it for me?

I'd recommend against posting screenshots generally and asking for feedback, because ultimately everyone will have differing opinions and it'll end up just clouding your judgement trying to keep others happy when you should just be making yourself happy.

I'd recommend finishing it how you envision it, then pushing this game out asap and then starting another one, where you can try out new things you learnt whilst making this game.

Fake Leopard is great at doing this, just gets his stuff out there and then moves on to the next project!

Good luck and I look forward to playing it :)

#9 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

  • moving on
  • Posts: 4393
  • Joined: 19-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Winnipeg, MB
  • Project:Game designing, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1
Absolutely lovely looking stuff. As others have mentioned, more differentiation between the foregrounds and backgrounds will help a lot, but that most recent desert level update shows that you're on the right path. I might tweak either the foreground or background colour in Mercury Mines as well, it's all a little too blue for me. But like High Fidelity said, if you're gonna make this game, you should do it for you first and not fret over every single little detail once you get on a roll. My last suggestion (although these are only mock-ups) is that it seems like the HUD is too bunched up in the corners. I get wanting to get it out of the way but I think it needs some breathing room.

Anyway, keep up the great work. Hope to see the game in motion soon!

#10 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 19 July 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

Hey mate,Great work, keep at it! Love the music in that video demo you have, can you link it for me? I'd recommend against posting screenshots generally and asking for feedback, because ultimately everyone will have differing opinions and it'll end up just clouding your judgement trying to keep others happy when you should just be making yourself happy.I'd recommend finishing it how you envision it, then pushing this game out asap and then starting another one, where you can try out new things you learnt whilst making this game. Fake Leopard is great at doing this, just gets his stuff out there and then moves on to the next project!Good luck and I look forward to playing it :)/>



Thank you, the only reason I've put up mock ups because to me the topic would look empty and make me look like that I'm all talk and no work. And you're right on that, I should keep on going forward on how I want my game to look.
https://soundcloud.c...ze-zone-present And here's the music you asked for (and obviously, it wasn't made by me)

View PostLordOfSquad, on 19 July 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Absolutely lovely looking stuff. As others have mentioned, more differentiation between the foregrounds and backgrounds will help a lot, but that most recent desert level update shows that you're on the right path. I might tweak either the foreground or background colour in Mercury Mines as well, it's all a little too blue for me. But like High Fidelity said, if you're gonna make this game, you should do it for you first and not fret over every single little detail once you get on a roll. My last suggestion (although these are only mock-ups) is that it seems like the HUD is too bunched up in the corners. I get wanting to get it out of the way but I think it needs some breathing room.Anyway, keep up the great work. Hope to see the game in motion soon!


I am aware on Mercury Mine palettes. Also the only reason the HUD is bunched up in the corners so that it won't be in the way a bit.

#11 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Posted Image

The HUD got updated (again but I'm sticking to this version). I darken and added more contrast on the background for Mercury Mine. Now this everyone should be able to see it now

#12 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5161
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4
I see some of my art on that desert zone. I don't care, but if you use other people's work you should probably ask permission first to avoid problems down the road.

The art and colors you use are very nice looking! :)

#13 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World

View PostRika Chou, on 20 July 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

I see some of my art on that desert zone. I don't care, but if you use other people's work you should probably ask permission first to avoid problems down the road.

The art and colors you use are very nice looking! :)/>/>


I like to apologize for not crediting you at the time, I'm doing everything I can to list everyone as much as I can. I really admired your work on Sonic Advanced Edit Hack.
Like I've mentioned it before, it's a tribute to everyone that work on the desert theme levels on Sonic. You will be listed along with everyone else once I get everything together.
Again I apologized
This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 20 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

#14 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Posted Image

Posted Image

A new background for Prism Palace zone (it's a underwater background) and it's only for act 1. There will be two different background for act 1.

#15 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

  • Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: 08-November 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
Some BIG announcements are coming here everyone, so stay tune for something really special.
This post has been edited by DarkVDee: 24 August 2016 - 08:09 PM

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users