Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Summer of Sonic 2013 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Summer of Sonic 2013 3rd August, London

#1 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
http://2013.summerof...r-of-sonic-2013

Posted Image

We're back, and this time we're all powered up! We are pleased to officially announce the Summer of Sonic 2013 event!

What is the Summer of Sonic?

Since our humble beginnings back in 2008 the convention has grown from year to year, and we've been able to give thousands of hardcore fans the opportunity to meet a whole bunch of Sonic celebrities – from musicians and comic artists to developers at Sonic Team themselves! But at its core, the Summer of Sonic is really all about coming together and making friends with fellow fans!

Date and Location

…But enough about that. You guys and gals must be itching to know where and when we will be hosting Summer of Sonic this year, right? Well, we're excited to be able to reveal that SoS 2013 will be held on Saturday 3rd August 2013, and will take place at the Westminster Central Hall in London, UK. Expect a full day's worth of Sonic-based fun and entertainment… with a twist!

Heavy Metal

You might have noticed that Sonic is sharing the spotlight with another character on the Summer of Sonic website. That's because, to mix things up a bit, we've decided to introduce a theme to this year's convention. And the theme is – you guessed it – ‘Metal Sonic and Badniks'. The robotic doppelgänger of our speedy blue hero, and the collective metallic minions of Dr Eggman, have the spotlight to themselves for 2013. But what does that mean? Well, while we can't give too much away at the moment, suffice it to say that many of our events and activities will be Metal Sonic or Badnik related.

Budding artists and cosplayers will be pleased to know our contests will be making a return, and we will reveal more details in the coming weeks…so get started on those costumes! Don't worry, though, you won't necessarily need a Metal Sonic or Badnik themed costume to enter the cosplay this year… although it might help! So there you go – Saturday 3rd August 2013. London, UK. And after the convention is over, there's still more Sonic fun to come, as our friends at SEGA of America will be hosting the third annual Sonic Boom event in St. Louis MO, USA on Saturday 10th August 2013. Find out more about that event right here.

We will soon release details on how you can snag yourself tickets for the convention, so until then, stay excited, and let's enjoy the Road to Summer of Sonic 2013 together!

Looking at http://www.c-h-w.com...Floor-Plans.pdf , the main hall (and it has to be the Great Hall, none of the other rooms are even close to years past in venue size), it's 1000 places in a Reception layout (or 2160 as a theature, but that's not gonna happen). More places than last year, can't remember if some in the past have been greater.

#2 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Bah, I can't go this year as the date clashes with a wedding in the family I have to go to. I am a sad panda. :(

#3 User is offline Falk 

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Is there going to be another Jam with Jun

#4 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN
Oh brilliant, it's in London again!

Looks like I'll be attending this year, I look forward to meeting my fellow British Retro attendees, and seeing some old faces again.

#5 User is offline Jen 

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

• Lapidot Queen
  • Project:Various drawings
  • Wiki edits:2
Looking forward to this! I just hope the tickets don't get snapped up in a matter of seconds again this year =P I managed to get a ticket in the first wave, but that's not the point - not everyone did.

#6 User is offline NiktheGreek 

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

• Grumpy old bastard
  • Project:Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
  • Wiki edits:41
Obviously in on this. BTW, Svend stepped down from management.

#7 User is offline Sploit 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

• Wiki edits:5
Hoping to attend again this year (last one I actually went to was 2010)!

#8 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostNiktheGreek, on 22 June 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Obviously in on this. BTW, Svend stepped down from management.

Saw this on the boat on my way home today (left the UK mainland for a few days, gasp) - has he said publically anywhere his reasoning for this? Not that he has to, the man's done a sterling job up to now and has more than earnt a break =P Just intrigued, is all.

#9 User is offline Nova 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

• Wiki edits:17
All he's said is that a new opportunity means he's less willing to do it this year and that he's confident enough in Rory and Adam's ability to run it in his stead. To be honest, they've been behind the scenes for long enough. It's sad to see Svend leave the team but I doubt the event will suffer for it.

That said, I doubt I'll be going to Holland anytime soon after all, so I should be there again this year. As I said last year, I've been to every one so far, I am not missing one now. ;)

#10 User is offline MooMoo 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

• Leader Bean
I'd really love to attend, but this is *always* held when I'm not in England. Le sigh. The last 5 or so years in a row I've said "maybe I'll go next year", so I guess that's this years line too. :(

#11 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

http://2013.summerof...-ticket-details

Wave system again. Two waves of 450 tickets, so 100 more than last year. I can see this being the same maniac rush as last time - though with a twist:

Okie, if you recall last year (and in previous years too), when you opened the ticket page you had a full form to fill in. When you filled it in correctly, and clicked Submit, the system would then check to see if there were available places, and allocate them to you if there were. If not, then you just wasted your time hurriedly filling in the form for nothing.

In this year's system, the page you will see will only ask how many people you want on your ticket. When you select the number, the system will allocate places, and /then/ it will show you the full form which you can fill in at your own pace.

So instead of bashing your details in as fast as you can, it'll just be fastest-finger-first on the number of tickets you want.

#12 User is offline Jen 

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

• Lapidot Queen
Hm, that's interesting. I can see the logic but I don't think it's going to make it any easier to get tickets. I was ok with the old system; being a secretary I've developed some fast typing skills, which is how I managed to grab tickets from wave 1 last year =P

Ah well, we'll see what happens. As with last year, I'll be around within plenty of time before they go live anyway. Fingers crossed that all of us here manage to get tickets...

#13 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

So, uh, all the Wave 1 tickets went.

In six seconds.

Holy crap! (Got in =P)

#14 User is offline Jen 

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

• Lapidot Queen
That was insane.

I wasn't quick enough (even though I was refreshing for 5 minutes solid beforehand)... Thank GOD for my mum though - she managed to grab me a ticket! However, as I was just saying on Twitter; the form went a bit wrong somehow and she only got the one, rather than the two she needed. I've emailed the support people to try and get Orenge added on to my ticket but I dunno if they can - if not then any help you guys could offer me on Sunday to get Orenge a ticket would be greatly appreciated... ;_;

EDIT: Never mind, they can add Orenge to my ticket apparently!! Yay! :D
This post has been edited by Jen: 05 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

#15 User is offline Sploit 

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

• Wiki edits:5
I got my application in successfully :v: ...crazy to think 6seconds and it was all over.
This post has been edited by Sploit: 05 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users