Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 323 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#4831 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
This conversation needs more sources - I've never seen anything about Sonic's alternative palettes being restricted on political grounds.

That "can't show Sonic's skeleton" thing feels more like a myth too. I remember it being posted years and years ago, but it fell apart when it emerged just how often skeletons were shown in Sonic games. And it doesn't make much sense from the get go.

Christ most of the hedgehogs I've seen have been flattened by cars. Hedgehog skeletons are a very common sight.

#4832 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostBlue Blood, on 23 March 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

And in the All Stars Racing games, SEGA told Sumo that no two players could play as the same character at the same time because "there's only one Sonic".

And yet, Sonic 3 Competition Mode exists.

#4833 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostDigitalDuck, on 23 March 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

And in the All Stars Racing games, SEGA told Sumo that no two players could play as the same character at the same time because "there's only one Sonic".

And yet, Sonic 3 Competition Mode exists.

The rules were much looser back then

:colbert:/>

@ Black Squirrel: The skeleton thing I think may have been referenced in a style guide, but I'm totally unsure so don't quote me on that.

As for the rest, I don't think the source even exists anymore. After the first ASR game was released, Steve Lycett/S0L of Sumo Digital was getting involved in discussions on SSMB. People were discussing patch updates and I suggested the ability to let more than one player use the same character in online races, because I couldn't understand why such a limitation would be put in place to begin with. S0L replied, saying that it was SEGA's rule that they weren't allowed to have more than one Sonic, nor were they allowed to use recolours of Sonic or even his vehicle because it was an extension of his character.

Unfortunately, this was all before SSMB's server crash. All the proof that I can give you is my word, so yeah, you can't call it anything more than hearsay at this point. There's probably somewhere else that the rule is explained more clearly, accurately and reliably.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 23 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

#4834 User is offline ccawley2011 

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

Two or more players can play as the same character in Sega Superstars Tennis (in fact, when using Download Play in the DS version, both players can only play as Sonic), which only came out two years before ASR did, so I don't see why this would be allowed in Sega Superstars Tennis, but not in either of the All Stars Racing games.

#4835 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
So I was looking through some of the concept art for Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and I began to ponder something. Sorry to retrace established ground, but I'm just doing so to refresh peoples minds a bit to get to the question. :v:

Posted Image
This piece of art is clearly the Metropolis objects and set pieces on the left being redrawn into more cybernetic parts on the right, so it feels like the level was going to be a reskin of Metropolis, probably similar to Emerald Hill/Hill Top but more extreme.

Not sure if this piece is related but it looks like they were both drawn on STI letterhead, and the same kind of machinery:
Posted Image

Yet, there's also three maps on the wiki for drawings of Metropolis Zone Act 3 in various stages:
http://info.sonicret...etropolis3a.jpg
http://info.sonicret...etropolis3b.jpg
http://info.sonicret...etropolis3c.jpg

Which makes me wonder; How far in was the concept of Cyber City Zone turned into Metropolis Zone Act 3? Does Metropolis Zone Act 3 have remnants of what could've been Cyber Citys layout, or is it Metropolis-made in its entirety? Yuji Naka says that the map was finished for Cyber City, but retooled into Metropolis Act 3. Tom Payne says on the other hand that work was never started on the map, and that he instead worked on Metropolis Act 3 (presumably from the get-go?) due to having extra time on his hands as a result of scrapping Cyber City.

I think I would go with Tom Paynes word on this, in that Metropolis 3 is simply its own creation as a result of losing Cyber City, rather than built on top of Cyber City layout wise. What do you guys think?

#4836 User is offline Neo 

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:17 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Wiki edits:1
Act 3 does have some unique elements though, like the moving platforms at the start and the black pistons. And in the Wai proto, there's also the rhombus object. So it's not out of the real of possibility that some of these concepts were repurposed. (And in the case of the rhombus, canned altogether.)

#4837 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostSparks, on 24 March 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

Tom Payne says on the other hand that work was never started on the map, and that he instead worked on Metropolis Act 3 (presumably from the get-go?) due to having extra time on his hands as a result of scrapping Cyber City.

Dude, my site's still up, no need to link to an archive of it. =\

#4838 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Oops. :flunked: The archive was the source on the wiki, so fixing that is in order.

#4839 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostSparks, on 25 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Oops. :flunked: The archive was the source on the wiki, so fixing that is in order.
Ack, what the heck. It can't be edited. <=|

#4840 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
I edited it just fine.

#4841 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 27 March 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

I edited it just fine.

Weird, I can't login on the wiki... Thanks for editing it for me. :thumbsup:

• 323 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum