Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure DX Doesn't Work on Windows 10? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure DX Doesn't Work on Windows 10?

#1 User is offline Dustinvgmaster 

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:49 PM

• Project:Super Ancient Keys
So, I got a GPD Win (a small Windows-based portable) a few days ago and one of the games I decided to try on it was Sonic Adventure DX, specifically the 2004 port. It didn't end up working, which was disappointing, but not unexpected. However, trying it on another Windows 10 computer produced the same results. Specifically, the game just outright refuses to run. No error message, no crash, just a brief moment of the window appearing and then vanishing just as quickly.

I tried using the Mod Loader, but it didn't seem to affect much. I also tried installing DirectX 9, which also did nothing.

Has anybody else had this problem or a similar one?

#2 User is offline Morph 

Posted Yesterday, 03:48 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
I run it on Windows 10 almost daily. Probably a software or hardware compatibility issue.

#3 User is offline Pigeon 

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 AM

• Project:Nothing really
Were you attempting to run it off the CD (i.e. without a no-CD patch/the option in the modloader)? I easily run it on my Windows 10 machine on the modloader, but I'm thinking it might use disc DRM that Win10 dropped compatibility for, like Sonic Heroes did. I actually had to download a no-CD crack for Heroes to get it to work on my laptop, as it wouldn't run off the disc, with a very similar issue to what you described. Obviously I may be wrong, I'm just speaking from my experiences.

#4 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
The European release uses SecuROM, the Japanese release uses Safedisc, and the US release only has a simple file check. Regardless of which version you have, you can replace the sonic.exe file with this cracked US one and it should work.

#5 User is offline Dustinvgmaster 

Posted Yesterday, 03:22 PM

View PostPigeon, on Yesterday, 07:50 AM, said:

Were you attempting to run it off the CD (i.e. without a no-CD patch/the option in the modloader)? I easily run it on my Windows 10 machine on the modloader, but I'm thinking it might use disc DRM that Win10 dropped compatibility for, like Sonic Heroes did. I actually had to download a no-CD crack for Heroes to get it to work on my laptop, as it wouldn't run off the disc, with a very similar issue to what you described. Obviously I may be wrong, I'm just speaking from my experiences.

Yeah, I was using the no-CD option in the mod loader. The GPD Win lacks a CD drive, so I suppose you kinda have to.

View PostMainMemory, on Yesterday, 09:21 AM, said:

The European release uses SecuROM, the Japanese release uses Safedisc, and the US release only has a simple file check. Regardless of which version you have, you can replace the sonic.exe file with this cracked US one and it should work.

To be honest, I actually forgot to make sure the exe I was using was cracked. I guess I just assumed, but you know what they say about that.

However, using the cracked exe isn't seeming to make a difference, so I'm really perplexed.
This post has been edited by Dustinvgmaster: Yesterday, 03:23 PM

#6 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted Yesterday, 07:07 PM

• Wiki edits:41
I tried it on my newer Win 10 laptop and had a similar problem, though just went back to my older one I kept to be safe.

I heard something about it having difficulty running at a high screen resolution or something, maybe try reducing it through Control Panel and see if that does anything at all.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: Yesterday, 07:08 PM

#7 User is offline Dustinvgmaster 

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

View PostE-122-Psi, on Yesterday, 07:07 PM, said:

I tried it on my newer Win 10 laptop and had a similar problem, though just went back to my older one I kept to be safe.

I heard something about it having difficulty running at a high screen resolution or something, maybe try reducing it through Control Panel and see if that does anything at all.

Yeah, that worked. Ugh, that's really annoying, but I suppose it answered my question.

#8 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted Yesterday, 11:01 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
The only resolution-related reason I've seen for the game outright failing to start is if it's in real fullscreen at a resolution your graphics card doesn't support natively (such as when I tried running it at 320x240). As far as I'm aware windowed mode and the mod loader's windowed fullscreen option don't have this problem.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users