Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Puyo Puyo Champions (PS4, Steam, Switch, XB1) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Puyo Puyo Champions (PS4, Steam, Switch, XB1) aka Puyo Puyo eSports

#1 User is offline Jason 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
Coming May 7th.

I guess Puyo Puyo Tetris did well enough over 5 years to warrant another localization. This version is bare bones by comparison, with a focus on competition over modes and story. Also no Tetris. But, if you're looking for online play with blobs only, this is a good way to play officially. No pricing yet, but IIRC launch price was about $5 in Japan, which gets a physical edition for $20 in June on PS4 and Switch.
This post has been edited by Jason: 23 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

#2 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I wish I knew how to gitgud at puyo. It's a lot of fun for me on easier modes :v:

#3 User is online JaxTH 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Probably gonna buy it simply because it's Sega.

#4 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Puyo Puyo Fever again.

Shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you I guess, but it's hard to get excited by the same cast of screaming girls. Especially when Tsuu mode will still probably be the best.

Be brave - give us Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 2 and make it look exactly like AoStH (or at least a polished version of it).

#5 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
It's puyo puyo tetris stripped of most of the content.

Yay I guess? Idk it's only $10 so you get what you pay for. But I agree with you Black Squirrel I don't care for the cast either.

#6 User is offline Jason 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

I mean we're close with modding.

#7 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:30 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostJason, on 23 April 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

I mean we're close with modding.

It's closer but you need more than a reskin I reckon. The presentation is still rooted in 1992, with each member of the cast making a small number of noises and couple of animations to convey happy or sad - I just feel like we could have a more immersive experience in 2019.

#8 User is offline Powpuck 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:21 PM

In other words, more "fish-fondling fruitcake."

#9 User is offline Jason 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

You won't find too many puzzle games with high production values. Only one I can think of lately is Tetris Effect. It's generally not a priority in the genre.

#10 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostAerosol, on 23 April 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

I wish I knew how to gitgud at puyo. It's a lot of fun for me on easier modes :v:

There is this:
https://puyonexus.co..._Play_Puyo_Puyo

Still doesn't make it any easier though :v:

#11 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:50 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Hum, the problem I have with this game isn't the lack of Tetris (it's understandable since it will probably be a one time only spinoff), it's the lack of rules and playable characters. This game has Tsu mode, Fever mode, and that's it.
what about Sun? Mission Puyo? And so many cool characters are absent from the roster, it's just lame.

I'll probably pick it up because this will be the main multiplayer puyo game for a while, but I still think they can do better.

#12 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 24 April 2019 - 01:50 AM, said:

Hum, the problem I have with this game isn't the lack of Tetris (it's understandable since it will probably be a one time only spinoff), it's the lack of rules and playable characters. This game has Tsu mode, Fever mode, and that's it.
what about Sun? Mission Puyo? And so many cool characters are absent from the roster, it's just lame.

I'll probably pick it up because this will be the main multiplayer puyo game for a while, but I still think they can do better.

I mean it's called Puyo Puyo eSports in Japan, the focus is solely on competitive play so it makes sense that a lot of the features were cut out. But it's only $10 so it's not like it breaks the bank.

#13 User is offline BSonirachi 

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

• Opa-Opa takes flight!
  • Wiki edits:17
You'd be surprised how upset Puyo Puyo players have been with the online play for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Almost everyone who plays it play online play Tetris, and Puyo Puyo vs Tetris matches are heavily stacked against the Puyo players. A Puyo Puyo-only package seems more for them.

Plus it's so Sega can do tournaments without having to pay The Tetris Company royalties.

#14 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostDark Sonic, on 24 April 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

I mean it's called Puyo Puyo eSports in Japan, the focus is solely on competitive play so it makes sense that a lot of the features were cut out. But it's only $10 so it's not like it breaks the bank.

I...didn't know about that. Why did they rename it ? E-sport is an English word to begin with.
Well, since it's just a template for tournaments I guess it's not that bad. But now I'm salty that this is the game they chose to release worldwide instead of puyo puyo chronicles.
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 24 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

#15 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostSuperSnoopy, on 24 April 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 24 April 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

I...didn't know about that. Why did they rename it ? E-sport is an English word to begin with.

That's a good question. Idk maybe because E-sports sounds kinda meme-ish internationally? But yea that name would have made total sense and I'm not 100% sure why they bothered changing it, although this one reminds me of when they renamed Sonic the Fighters to Sonic Championship in the US.

Good ol redundant, unnecessary changes :v:

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users