Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3D Tech Demo (Saturn) discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3D Tech Demo (Saturn) discussion

#16 User is offline Franz 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

• ALL OF THE LIGHTS
  • Wiki edits:3
So I started using SSF and voila, almost every glitch goes away, and the popping up flickies stop coming, the only new glitch that I found was this:

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Franz: 24 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

#17 User is offline Nemesis 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

• Wiki edits:6
I've got a modded saturn, so I should probably give this a go.

In other news, we still really need a decent Saturn emulator.

#18 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
You'd have thought after 14 years we'd have one by now, wouldn't you?

Damn the system being overly complex...

#19 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
What's wrong with SSF? Just the minimum system requirements, or what?

#20 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

• Wiki edits:2

View PostThe 無敵, on Feb 24 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

What's wrong with SSF? Just the minimum system requirements, or what?

nothing, except that nobody knows it exists and they keep asking about decent saturn emulators

or they expect that it'll work on their Celeron.

#21 User is offline Nemesis 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

• Wiki edits:6
To be honest, I haven't used it recently. Looking at recent compatibility lists it sounds like it's come a long way. I might throw a few games at it and see how it goes. The system requirements don't bother me at all. In fact, my Mega Drive emulator is probably going to have higher system requirements than SSF.

#22 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46

View PostBorisz, on Feb 24 2008, 04:44 PM, said:

or they expect that it'll work on their Celeron.

I should try it out on my Celeron 533MHz to find out exactly how awful that is. :P

Seriously, I have to wonder how many of these bugs are from the game, and how many are from the emulators. Has anyone checked them on the actual Saturn to be sure?

#23 User is online Billy 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

• RIP Oderus Urungus
  • Project:retrooftheweek.net - Give it a visit and tell me what you think!
  • Wiki edits:15
I have burned this and attempted to play it on my NTSC model 1 Saturn via disk swap; as with Tom, it just gives me a black screen.

I should try it out on my Celeron 533MHz to find out exactly how awful that is. :P

It wouldn't run at all, I believe.
This post has been edited by Bill: 24 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

#24 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

View PostNemesis, on Feb 24 2008, 04:50 PM, said:

To be honest, I haven't used it recently. Looking at recent compatibility lists it sounds like it's come a long way. I might throw a few games at it and see how it goes. The system requirements don't bother me at all. In fact, my Mega Drive emulator is probably going to have higher system requirements than SSF.

Related, I recently checked damn near every PAL game on SSF.
http://evilboris.son...x.php?x=satcomp Every PAL game from version 0.09 upwards was tested by me.

Theres a set of bugs which cause problems in multiple games, and a few of them (VDP1 sprites blinking) are in fact regressions. The only real problem the emulator has to tackle is SCU DSP emulation, which is incredibly buggy currently, causing problems in Viruta Fighter 1/Remix and the music in Xmen/MSH vs SF. Other then that, it only needs some bugfixing for a few common issues.

As for system requirements, a core 2 ruo runs it at absolute max speed even for the most demanding games.

#25 User is offline Spexfox 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:42 AM

• 便秘になった
  • Wiki edits:49
My 1.5 Ghz Centrino Duo seems to run it just fine. I'm assuming my graphics card gives it some acceleration though. nVidia 8600GS. If it didn't then, w/e ^.^; I guess my processor is more powerful then I though.

So for the record - Does SSF take advantage of any graphics hardware you may have?

#26 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:46 AM

Other then optional bilinear filtered scaling of low-res games, it does not use the videocard at all. It's running in all software.

Centrino Duo is basically a Core 2 Duo so no wonder it runs fine. Sonic 3d isn't a demanding game though, try to see if Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighters Megamix run at fullspeed.

#27 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 24 2008, 04:59 PM, said:

Did anyone get sound, other than annoying noises at the title screen? I'm not quite sure whether that's an emulation issue or not.

I don't get any sound at all, and I'm using SSF 0.09 prototype.

*goes to SSF page* Crap, I fell behind again. >.<

#28 User is offline Vlcice 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 24 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

Did anyone get sound, other than annoying noises at the title screen? I'm not quite sure whether that's an emulation issue or not.

I don't get sound after the Sega logo either. It's probably broken or not implemented in this build.

View PostBill, on Feb 24 2008, 08:00 PM, said:

I have burned this and attempted to play it on my NTSC model 1 Saturn via disk swap; as with Tom, it just gives me a black screen.

It's working all right for me. I got the black screen the first time I tried, but it's running fine every time since. (The game doesn't leave any save data in the system memory, so it's not that it always boots to a black screen the first time or something.) I have a model 1 I'm doing the swap trick on.

#29 User is offline Spexfox 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

• 便秘になった
  • Wiki edits:49

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 24 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

Must've missed this post earlier. Yea, I get a very strange, annoying sound at the "E3 Demo" title screen. So either a couple of us are emulating it right (or at least emulating sound that's suppose to be there in SOME way), or most of us are emulating it right and SSF is producing sound where there shouldn't be any.

View PostBorisz, on Feb 25 2008, 07:46 AM, said:

Other then optional bilinear filtered scaling of low-res games, it does not use the videocard at all. It's running in all software.

Centrino Duo is basically a Core 2 Duo so no wonder it runs fine. Sonic 3d isn't a demanding game though, try to see if Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighters Megamix run at fullspeed.

I'll give that a try then and see how it runs. But I'm surprised the emulation runs so well on software only. Even with some simpler games. They did a good job with SSF, that's for sure.
This post has been edited by Spexfox: 25 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

#30 User is online Billy 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

• RIP Oderus Urungus
  • Project:retrooftheweek.net - Give it a visit and tell me what you think!
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostVlcice, on Feb 25 2008, 03:16 PM, said:

It's working all right for me. I got the black screen the first time I tried, but it's running fine every time since. (The game doesn't leave any save data in the system memory, so it's not that it always boots to a black screen the first time or something.) I have a model 1 I'm doing the swap trick on.

Upon trying again, it only works every other time for me, strange. Well, here is what I observed with a quick runthrough:
  • The smaller flowers on the sides of the stage appear to be different.
  • The only sound I get is repeated ring loss sound effects on the title screen.
  • Pressing start doesn't pause, it skips the level. This actually froze it after doing it a couple times.
  • The control scheme is different, A is spindash, and B and C jump. On the final Saturn version, B is spindash, A and C jump.
  • The small watter pools appear... purple.
  • I gave 55 rings to knuckles and nothing happened.
  • One of the bridges in GG has water OVER it.
  • When I get the gold shield, it's green.
Some of these might have been mentioned already, I haven't exactly had time to read through the entire thread.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users