Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Ristar discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Ristar discussion Because Ristar is like a Sonic game anyway

#46 User is offline Mistergambit 

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

• Unholy Kaioshin
  • Project:Luigi's Mansion - Beta Rebirth, Castlevania Bloodlines shit. a bagel
  • Wiki edits:48
I don't recall these numbers being used anywhere in the game
Posted Image
These look a bit like the numbers that were used in Feels life counter, but they seem a little different than the ones pictured in the magazine screens. The odd thing is, 0 and 1 are missing. as well as 8 and 9.
This post has been edited by Mistergambit: 28 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

#47 User is offline Icy Guy 

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

• Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog.
  • Project:GoldenEye 007 level hack
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostDurean, on Feb 27 2008, 05:48 PM, said:

I just remembered (and wish I had a picture to go with this) that in the US manual, to demonstrate the password screen "DEX" is the example in the screenshot. I always wondered why they used that.

The scanner genie has granted your wish. Taken from page 12.
This post has been edited by Icy Guy: 28 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

#48 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
QUOTE (Mistergambit @ Feb 28 2008, 10:36 PM) [post="182092"]Posted Image
These look a bit like the numbers that were used in Feels life counter, but they seem a little different than the ones pictured in the magazine screens. The odd thing is, 0 and 1 are missing. as well as 8 and 9.[/quote]
I don't recognise those either, and I've done a fair bit of work with Ristar's text.

#49 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

• "Do you wana chat with me?"
  • Project:Classic Amy The Hedgehog
  • Wiki edits:7
QUOTE (Crysta @ Feb 24 2008, 12:07 PM) [post="180394"]Posted Image

Wish granted! And there is a page up with some of the things noted for the differences bwtween the protos.
Though I have to compile and add to that page alot.

#50 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

• Wiki edits:27
QUOTE (Overlord @ Feb 29 2008, 03:45 PM) [post="182301"]Posted Image
These look a bit like the numbers that were used in Feels life counter, but they seem a little different than the ones pictured in the magazine screens. The odd thing is, 0 and 1 are missing. as well as 8 and 9.[/quote]
I don't recognise those either, and I've done a fair bit of work with Ristar's text.
[/quote]

Just a quick heads-up, I've managed to find where these are used - they're the Round Number displayed while on the "Valdi System" / "Next Area" screen:

Posted Image
(The Round number in the top-right, for those who haven't noticed. =P)

My suspicions were aroused while cataloguing the Nemesis compressed art in the 0701 proto; I found that these numbers were stored right next to the graphics for the Valdi System screen's HUD. Sure enough, when I checked the screen in-game, there they were, plain as day.

As for the reason why only the numbers 2-7 are present, there's only 7 Rounds in the game. The reason the number 1 is missing is that the text "Round-1" is stored as a part of the HUD graphics (located at 0008BE4A in the 0701 build). =P

So, mystery solved, I guess. = ) If I come across anything strange-looking, I'll be sure to post it.

EDIT: One interesting thing, actually - for some reason, the art for each Round's title cards is stored in the order: 1 (Neer), 2 (Leatow), 3 (Onaclove), 5 (Elykiki), 6 (Rewope), 4 (Neuos), 7 (Castle Greedy). = S Although they're numbered correctly in this build, could the odd order they're placed in hint at a slightly different Round order in a previous build, with Neuos being the 6th stage at one point? Just curious. =P

Also, awesome sauce that Ristar Cluster's back up. = ) Nice one, brayster.

BTW, a heads-up - the unused "Stage Select" text on your site appears to be left over from a feature that's active in at least the 0701 proto (haven't checked the others yet) - press C + Start while paused and you'll be taken to a black Round Select screen that uses identical text. Hope that's useful. = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 06 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

#51 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

• "Do you wana chat with me?"
  • Project:Classic Amy The Hedgehog
  • Wiki edits:7
thanks for the info I will add it to the site within the next week. been sooooo busy with work that I couldn't do any more research ;_;

#52 User is offline kazblox 

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

• Project:Sonic 3?
I should have made a new thread for this, but:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Either SEGA got a temporary license from Apple to use this font, or [more likely] Sonic Team developed Ristar on a fucking Macintosh?!?!?

#53 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1

View Postkazblox, on 19 October 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

Either SEGA got a temporary license from Apple to use this font

They didn't need a license. the design of a font isn't copyrighted, only the actual font data. It's the same reason you see Papyrus fucking everywhere in TV and movies; there's no license to use it. But they're not redistributing the font, only drawing on-screen with it, they don't need one. In this case, since they would have had to re-draw it as art, even if it's an exact likeness, there's no licensing involved.

or [more likely] Sonic Team developed Ristar on a fucking Macintosh?!?!?

This isn't as crazy as you might think. Macs of the '80s and early '90s used Motorola processors, and several of them even used the 68000. While no mac with a 68000 ever had color support, in some ways it would have been ideal.

#54 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostCovarr, on 20 October 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

Either SEGA got a temporary license from Apple to use this font

They didn't need a license. the design of a font isn't copyrighted, only the actual font data. It's the same reason you see Papyrus fucking everywhere in TV and movies; there's no license to use it. But they're not redistributing the font, only drawing on-screen with it, they don't need one. In this case, since they would have had to re-draw it as art, even if it's an exact likeness, there's no licensing involved.

or [more likely] Sonic Team developed Ristar on a fucking Macintosh?!?!?

This isn't as crazy as you might think. Macs of the '80s and early '90s used Motorola processors, and several of them even used the 68000. While no mac with a 68000 ever had color support, in some ways it would have been ideal.

I would put money down on Ristar being developed on an Amiga over a Mac, personally, if they were using a common computer at all.

#55 User is offline Eduardo Knuckles 

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

• Not a loved one, but the most hated person.
  • Project:Sonic Harder Levels
  • Wiki edits:66
Oh... "Feel" was also featured in a magazine article.
Posted Image

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users