Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: S&K 0525 discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

S&K 0525 discussion

#31 User is offline SephyUK 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

• WHY SO CURIOUS?
  • Project:Some Freakishly Long Anime
  • Wiki edits:5
You can tell, even without it being the 0525, that this is still in the earlier stages of development because it looks exactly the same as S3, but has functioning levels. So was the Title Art not as important as the levels? Then they must have replaced the title later on with the SK one, and then finally removed the levels.

#32 User is offline Franz 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

• ALL OF THE LIGHTS
  • Wiki edits:3
Posted Image

Tails can get caught in the smoky thing, and while trapped in it, he falls slowly and with his walking animation.

And I don't know if it's mentioned somewhere else, but shields do not protect you from the exploding rocks
This post has been edited by Franz: 24 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

#33 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
They don't protect from ANY projectiles.

#34 User is offline GHNeko 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

• sega stockholm syndrome
  • Project:Competitive Smash Stagelist

View PostThe 無敵, on Feb 24 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

They don't protect from ANY projectiles.

Which if I recall correctly, in the final, shields protect you from ALL projectiles.

Which brings up this question. If you get a shield while super, for example, lightning shield. do projectiles bounce then or do they go through you.

#35 User is offline Super 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

• The always vigilant GSWAS.
  • Project:Youtube
  • Wiki edits:31
MetalMan spoke of this earlier, and I just experienced this myself, after beating the Lave Reed Act '3' Boss, the platforms stay lit up and the one you stand on moves to another where you can jump from platform to platform. However! The lava below, while cooled off, still hurts you. A fun note is that even when in Debug mode, it still harms you, but can't kill you.

Edit: How much Debug mode fun can we post about? I mean, messing with an unfinished game with a debug mode that... well, throws a bunch of buggy goodness at you... you'll bound to get strange results. My most recent endeavors are...

-Without Debug(Without the USE of debug, that is), I was able to witness Metal Sonic freaking out at me, his spines turning into garbled messes while the rest of him stayed the same.

-With Debug, I was able to place a cloud at the credits screen and hve knuckles bounce at that while parts of 128x128 tiles fell down around me, and then watched Angel Island keep fall by me every five minutes or so. Kind of funny when you go fast forward.

-I'm not sure if this is available on the final, but on SSZ2, can you place the normal objects from Act 1 on there? Because you can here.

That's about it.
This post has been edited by Super: 24 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

#36 User is offline MK 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

• Hacker
  • Project:Secret :o o:
  • Wiki edits:852

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 24 2008, 02:06 AM, said:

View PostThe Taxman, on Feb 24 2008, 07:51 AM, said:

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 23 2008, 10:55 PM, said:

Lock on wasn't implemented in this build, it seems. This could very well be Sonic 3C instead of B, but I have to check more carefully.

Lockon is partially implemented in this build, in the way that it uses the appended Sonic 3 ROM for data. I tried removing the Sonic 3 ROM to see if there was a different title screen for S+K alone, but it's not implemented yet (fails to boot).

I was about to reply myself, but yeah, I was completely wrong. Lockon IS indeed implemented in this build, to a certain degree. First of, as I expected, there are NO references to the sonic 1 header. The blue spheres game is missing, but the jump to the s2k chip is there. Any other header not matching with a revision of sonic 2 will run the same code as if was attached to s3.

Yeah, this is clearly mislabeled. It's Sonic 3 A + Sonic 3 B, but unfortunately, the 2 roms will not boot seperately :( Can someone find a way to fix this? I want to see if the old Sonic 3 level select (probably) or even level order is in that build. Plus, there may be other differences we simply cannot see because the S&K data takes priority.

#37 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Aren't the levels with the switched act music the same which were completely changed in the PC version?

Now that would be quite a coincidence, right MJ?

#38 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostMK, on Feb 24 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 24 2008, 02:06 AM, said:

View PostThe Taxman, on Feb 24 2008, 07:51 AM, said:

View PostJoseTB, on Feb 23 2008, 10:55 PM, said:

Lock on wasn't implemented in this build, it seems. This could very well be Sonic 3C instead of B, but I have to check more carefully.

Lockon is partially implemented in this build, in the way that it uses the appended Sonic 3 ROM for data. I tried removing the Sonic 3 ROM to see if there was a different title screen for S+K alone, but it's not implemented yet (fails to boot).

I was about to reply myself, but yeah, I was completely wrong. Lockon IS indeed implemented in this build, to a certain degree. First of, as I expected, there are NO references to the sonic 1 header. The blue spheres game is missing, but the jump to the s2k chip is there. Any other header not matching with a revision of sonic 2 will run the same code as if was attached to s3.

Yeah, this is clearly mislabeled. It's Sonic 3 A + Sonic 3 B, but unfortunately, the 2 roms will not boot seperately :( Can someone find a way to fix this? I want to see if the old Sonic 3 level select (probably) or even level order is in that build. Plus, there may be other differences we simply cannot see because the S&K data takes priority.

It's not mislabled, Sonic 3B = Sonic & Knuckles. The Sonic 3 Rom is located from Hex offset 200000 just like in the final (being 16mbit carts and all). The Sonic 3 Rom can be extracted and booted no problem since it's an exact copy of the retail Sonic 3. So yeah, splitting the two roms won't yield any more secrets from Sonic 3 alone.

I was trying to run S&K alone to see if they had a different title screen (Sonic 3 Part II? :P ) but obviously they hadn't added the ability for the game to run without Sonic 3 yet.
This post has been edited by The Taxman: 24 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

#39 User is offline MK 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

• Hacker
  • Project:Secret :o o:
  • Wiki edits:852

View PostThe Taxman, on Feb 24 2008, 10:35 PM, said:

It's not mislabled, Sonic 3B = Sonic & Knuckles. The Sonic 3 Rom is located from Hex offset 200000 just like in the final (being 16mbit carts and all). The Sonic 3 Rom can be extracted and booted no problem since it's an exact copy of the retail Sonic 3. So yeah, splitting the two roms won't yield any more secrets from Sonic 3 alone.

I was trying to run S&K alone to see if they had a different title screen (Sonic 3 Part II? :P ) but obviously they hadn't added the ability for the game to run without Sonic 3 yet.

Sonic 3 is located in Sonic and Knuckles?... And I can't boot the 2 extracted ROMS, I think I did it wrong. Can you upload them please?

#40 User is offline Kamek 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

• Magikoopa
  • Wiki edits:53
Sorry if this was pointed out already, but the title screen music sounds different. Listen through to the end and you'll notice a change.

#41 User is offline Kamek 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

• Magikoopa
  • Wiki edits:53
I managed to produce a savestate to allow S&K 0525 to be played without the Sonic 3 rom attached.

However, the backgrounds, title cards, and various other sprites are glitched.

Here it is for anyone who wants to mess around with it. You start at the stage select screen -- if you try to exit to the title screen, the game will lock up. Just pick an S&K zone and enjoy the glitchfun.

Attached File(s)

#42 User is offline Tom41 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

• Pheer the baby EggRobo!
If you fight Knuckles (HPZ) as Hyper Sonic, Knuckles won't take damage when you stand next to him. You have to actually jump on him to register a hit. Sonic doesn't take damage from Knuckles' punches when Hyper though.

The animation order for Knuckles punching the wall before the teleporter is different.

Final: Wake up, run over to wall, show knuckles on hand, punch wall
Proto: Wake up, run over to wall, punch wall, show knuckles on hand
This post has been edited by Tom41: 25 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

#43 User is offline JoseTB 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

• Wiki edits:4

View PostKamek, on Feb 25 2008, 09:35 PM, said:

I managed to produce a savestate to allow S&K 0525 to be played without the Sonic 3 rom attached.

However, the backgrounds, title cards, and various other sprites are glitched.

Here it is for anyone who wants to mess around with it. You start at the stage select screen -- if you try to exit to the title screen, the game will lock up. Just pick an S&K zone and enjoy the glitchfun.

It's not all that interesting though, technically speaking the only difference is the fact that the game won't be able to load graphics and other static data from sonic 3, but aside from that the code is the same.

#44 User is offline dD Daz 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

Sorry to sound like a n00bish turd but can I have the link to this or has it been posted somewhere else. If it is can I have the link?

#45 User is offline drx 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

• <Shade> fuck MJ
  • Project::rolleyes:
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostKamek, on Feb 25 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

Sorry if this was pointed out already, but the title screen music sounds different. Listen through to the end and you'll notice a change.

Holy batman, it is! =)

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users