Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Game Land - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic Game Land Racing concept fan game

#1 User is offline TheValeev 

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

• Project:Sonic Game Land
Posted Image

DOWNLOAD // SOUNDTRACK

SONIC GAME LAND is a work-in-progress fan-game featuring racing concept gameplay. The game takes roots from Sonic Colors "Game Land" stages and expands it's ideas into the gameplay's style influenced by the titles like Sonic Rivals and Sonic Riders. In the current demo, you can race and battle your opponents across five zones as six playable characters. The first demos has been released at Sonic Amateur Games Expo 2012 and (after hiatus) at Sonic Amateur Games Expo 2014. Fangame is developing with Game Maker 8, using the engine based on ChaosRush's code. Local multiplayer included.

So far, no story planned. The last demo has one stage for Story Mode, but I decided to drop this mode. The game is planned to have several stages from (or inspired by) the community. Sonic Game Land was for me also an entry ticket to Sonic fan community, so I really appreciate all what I got during the development of the game and this is how I want to try to say "thank you all". I hope you'll enjoy it. Any feedback is appreciated.

Credits: The Spriters Resource, Damizean, Chaos Rush, NeKit, Wolfxbane101, Goncalo Lopes, DanielMania123, HoMax, Overbound, Nefault1st, Mordi, Jeremy Smith, Marvin Valentin, Jake Kim, Toni Leys, Faseeh.

This post has been edited by TheValeev: 17 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

#2 User is offline Felik 

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

• Wiki edits:1
One of the better games out there for sure. I wish you had more original graphics though.
Looking forward to newer versions

#3 User is offline TheValeev 

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

I'm sorry for lack of posts and updates. The development is still going.

Engine Update:
Spoiler

Backgrounds Update:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheValeev: 19 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

#4 User is online JcFerggy 

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57
I'm really liking what you've done there. Everything looks fluid and I think having the Advance sprites lets people accept it won't follow the genesis physics. I also really like the having slide mechanic from Unleashed. If I had to give one suggestion it would be that knuckles feels a little too heavy. Maybe make his glide descend slightly slower?

#5 User is offline TheValeev 

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostJcFerggy, on 16 January 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

I'm really liking what you've done there. Everything looks fluid and I think having the Advance sprites lets people accept it won't follow the genesis physics. I also really like the having slide mechanic from Unleashed. If I had to give one suggestion it would be that Knuckles feels a little too heavy. Maybe make his glide descend slightly slower?
I always try to stick to the Physics Guide when it comes to movement mechanic, and according to this, Knuckles should be little heavier than other characters. But at the same time I always try to "optimize" it for the better experience. I think I already fixed glide descend. The video showing engine update was recorded 7 month ago anyway, I've improved a lot of things since that time.
This post has been edited by TheValeev: 17 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

#6 User is online JcFerggy 

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57

View PostTheValeev, on 17 January 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

View PostJcFerggy, on 16 January 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

I'm really liking what you've done there. Everything looks fluid and I think having the Advance sprites lets people accept it won't follow the genesis physics. I also really like the having slide mechanic from Unleashed. If I had to give one suggestion it would be that Knuckles feels a little too heavy. Maybe make his glide descend slightly slower?
I always try to stick to the Physics Guide when it comes to movement mechanic, and according to this, Knuckles should be little heavier than other characters. But at the same time I always try to "optimize" it for the better experience. I think I already fixed glide descend. The video showing engine update was recorded 7 month ago anyway, I've improved a lot of things since that time.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were not following the guide, I just meant that when playing with the classic sprites I'm usually more harsh on the physics, nitpicking things that don't match 100%. Either way though I look forward to seeing any updates regarding this project.

#7 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:07 AM

Trailer with engine's presentation looks really nice - fluent, dynamic, and it's making an impression that character's actions are quite responsive. I'm guessing that demo available on game jolt is not very "representative", as it is from 2014? I gave it a try yesterday, but by some reason it was working in weird "slow-motion" pace (despite the fact that PC I own should deal with this game without any issues).

Idea with focusing on 2P mode is very interesting and surely attracts attention (due to the fact that most of the fan-made games are focusing on 1P mode, rather rarely including multiplayer at all). Are you planning to implement (in future) online multiplayer as well, or only local?

I will surely test next playable release(s) of this game, has quite promising premises.
This post has been edited by MartiusR: 20 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

#8 User is offline TheValeev 

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

View PostMartiusR, on 20 January 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

I'm guessing that demo available on game jolt is not very "representative", as it is from 2014? I gave it a try yesterday, but by some reason it was working in weird "slow-motion" pace (despite the fact that PC I own should deal with this game without any issues).
I'm getting quite a lot performance reports, and this looks strange for me. My PC specs are pretty low, but the game runs just fine for me. Maybe there is an issue related with Game Maker itself.

Are you planning to implement (in future) online multiplayer as well, or only local?
I'm not sure about how online multiplayer will be stable with such old tools like Game Maker 8, but I'd like to try.
This post has been edited by TheValeev: 21 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

#9 User is offline Crasher 

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

• Why hello there!
This is looking pretty nice, nice work! As with JcFerggy, I like how you've implemented the slide mechanic from Unleashed/Generations - gives the moveset a bit more versatility.

#10 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostTheValeev, on 21 January 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

I'm guessing that demo available on game jolt is not very "representative", as it is from 2014? I gave it a try yesterday, but by some reason it was working in weird "slow-motion" pace (despite the fact that PC I own should deal with this game without any issues).
I'm getting quite a lot performance reports, and this looks strange for me. My PC specs are pretty low, but the game runs just fine for me. Maybe there is an issue related with Game Maker itself.

I don't have experience with Game Maker, but I'm almost 100% sure that you're right - since it's not the standard "low framerate" issue (characteristic for cases with too weak PC for too demanding game), but rather odd slow-motion. Not to mention that I've tried it on my old laptop with Windows 7 (32 bit) and my "normal" desktop PC with Windows 8 (with far better specs) and in both cases game was running in identical way.

#11 User is offline Violet 

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

• Project:Flicky Engine, Overdrive

View PostMartiusR, on 28 January 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostTheValeev, on 21 January 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

I don't have experience with Game Maker, but I'm almost 100% sure that you're right - since it's not the standard "low framerate" issue (characteristic for cases with too weak PC for too demanding game), but rather odd slow-motion. Not to mention that I've tried it on my old laptop with Windows 7 (32 bit) and my "normal" desktop PC with Windows 8 (with far better specs) and in both cases game was running in identical way.

Game Maker 8 games tend to slow down a lot on newer pcs and windows versions. A lot of them even break because Dlls aren't compatible anymore.
If you run this on XP or 7, you have no issues.

Studio fixes that.
This post has been edited by Violet: 28 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

#12 User is offline The Danimal 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

The level design looks pretty neat and the concept of this game looks good. Would like to see the full version of this. Shame I don't have anyone to race against :(

#13 User is offline TheValeev 

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

Still thinking about how Seaside Resort' background should looks (for possible new demo).
A huge thanks to lee_7 for composing these concepts.
Spoiler

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users