don't click here

Project Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Chimpo, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Thank goodness for the rehaul. Sorry for posting in the Sonic sheet thread, I'll be sure to keep everything on topic in the respectful forums for now on.

I said earlier I wouldn't be contributing to this project anymore because I see no other work by members being done. Until I see that again I really don't know if I'm convinced that anything will even get done or anything I submit will even be put to use. I don't want to make anything for nothing! I hope this rehaul was the solution the project needed.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    So your solution to the lack of work is to not do work yourself?

You are a very helpful contributor to the project.

4. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    There was really no point to do any work if no one else was doing anything. If I made anything it would be nitpicked and edited for pages and pages. Look what happened to the idle sprite, I don't want to see something like that happen again. Even after you made it specifically clear on finalized decisions people still wasted time.

Yea, I'm not being very helpful right now because I see no point to do so until other people start picking up slack as well. Sorry if this sounds like a cowardly or lazy move, but I'm really just not convinced on the entirety of this project or at least one zone being completed. I would like to see some effort done by other members before I jump back on this project.

5. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I've got to say, I'm not a fan of the GraphicsGale only policy. If it works for you, then by all means, go ahead, but there will be people (myself included) who don't like working in it, and thus can't contribute.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I've got an idea.

Get out of my forum.

I have no time to read your excuses. If you do not want to contribute, don't contribute but I don't want to read your reasons why.

GG only policy is to make my work and the Programmer's work easier. I am not going to through and organize, fix palettes, edit animations, etc. of a bunch of different files from a bunch of different contributors. If you can't handle a little bit of organization, that's a shame, but I will make no exceptions. I see no reason why I'm putting 120% of effort of not only making the artwork, but also keeping all the artwork organize only so you could put 10% in a sloppy bmp image without an indexed palette.

It's not like I had any people actually contributing anyways, so I'm losing nothing.

We're either all in the same page or not at all.

7. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Gale is actually extremely to use. I find it a shit ton more helpful then MS Paint. The program is designed specifically for pixel art/sprites. If you guys do need help I can write up a quick tutorial for you.

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    All I can see is that you only kept your work, and totally ignored what had already been done on the old forum (artworks, etc)

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    He wasn't fond of most of it in the first place, so it's not surprising to me.

10. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Adamis had some great concept drawings for badniks.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I didn't want to post this in the Badniks thread, as this is not mine.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    A bunch of mix and match and recycled artwork from other people's games that conflicted with one another?

No thanks.

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Thank god. I hope it stays this organized, I was sick of the bickering about 1 fucking pixel on Sonic.

Also, offtopic, I'm working on a signpost right now for you.

13. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    I think this project doesn't deserve a place on this forum anymore.
    It may become a good game, but it's no longer a community project. It's just "Chimpo's fan game recruiting some artists"

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    In my opinion, when you were running the show, nothing really got done. The project was heavily unorganised from the start with barely anything happening. Chimpo took over and decided to restart things but then more issues came up.
    The project needs to work on stuff one thing at a time, not over 9000 topics about various elements of the game. I like this project, but it needs to be more organised, which Chimpo has tried to do for the second time.
    There are many talented people on the forums that can contribute, as long as they stick to the guidelines (in other words, not using hundreds of colours).
    Just my two cents, if any staff member disagrees with this feel free to trash it. Good luck on the project.

15. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Translation: Get that Mario flagpole out of your ass, stop bitching and actually do something next to complain.

16. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Members are being asked upon to give their input and contributions to the project of their own free will, ergo, it's a community project. That does not imply that the development of PSR should be a democratic process. That ship has sailed and sunk spectacularly.

I don't like Chimpo being completely totalitarian about the decision-making process, but it's pretty obvious that it's a necessary evil, at least in the early stages, for this project to gain any semblence of focus.

17. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    I appreciate Chimpo's efforts in trying to keep the focus. Really, if the Sonic sprite has been decided people should stop bitching for now, or get themselves off their asses to make a better spritesheet to replace the official one.

However, it's kinda expected that people would throw ideas all over the place to at least some degree. So many people want to leave a mark on the project, and everyone has an idea of how -their- Sonic game should play.

Chimpo can sort out what has real potential and tell the rest "now work on THIS and improve it". Then people should start putting some work in making the already decided things better.

18. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Exactly, and this is precisely the type of activity that needs to be discouraged.

19. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I hope to Christ that the fast jog is not in lieu of the traditional running animation.

If it isn't then I'd be happy to work on that.

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Here's that signpost I said I would make. Not sure were to put it since we don't have a general object thread.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/29/1889515/signpost2.gal
    Currently 18 colors. The red from the =( face and the orange backing added 2. Obviously the =( face is a placeholder for Robotnik.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]